FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   When will Hawaii re-open for tourism? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2016835-when-will-hawaii-re-open-tourism.html)

denver19 Oct 21, 2020 3:53 pm

HNN is reporting that Harry Kim and the BI may discontinue their arrival test due to so many false positives. Just sayin...

spier072 Oct 21, 2020 3:56 pm

Forgive the ignorance but does someone have list of official providers of Covid Tests?

Weyland Yutani Corp Oct 21, 2020 4:40 pm

Anyone fly from LAX to any island yet and have a report?

LIH Prem Oct 21, 2020 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by spier072 (Post 32764004)
Forgive the ignorance but does someone have list of official providers of Covid Tests?

there's a list on this page

https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/getting-to-hawaii/

Buster CT1K Oct 22, 2020 9:59 am

How does it work if a book a HA itinerary SEA-HNL-OGG? Do I need to pad extra transit time in HNL for the health checks? Do I get checked again at OGG? Do I need to get my COVID test within 72h before my HNL-OGG flight departure time or is it the SEA-HNL departure time?

denver19 Oct 22, 2020 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Buster CT1K (Post 32765543)
How does it work if a book a HA itinerary SEA-HNL-OGG? Do I need to pad extra transit time in HNL for the health checks? Do I get checked again at OGG? Do I need to get my COVID test within 72h before my HNL-OGG flight departure time or is it the SEA-HNL departure time?

I heard HNL is quick and easy, with no checks if you are going on to the outer islands. OGG is still extremely "Maui" with about an hour of stupidity before you get out of the airport.
As an aside: I would encourage anyone to bite the bullet and do it. I am seeing guests here on Ka'anapali, and by and large they say other than OGG, or the suspense of waiting for their test on the mainland it was easy. And the beaches and ocean are empty still. A few restaurants opening, but quiet mostly.

Also, Harry Kim, on the Big Island HAS backed off the second test. This was the rallying cry of all because the world was going to end if Hawaii didn't have a second test for incoming tourists after landing. Mayor Kim tested 4,000 people, got a bunch of false positives, ZERO were actually positive, so now no second test on the island of Hawai'i. Kudos to Mayor Kim for actually looking at data and correcting a bad decision.

Weatherboy Oct 23, 2020 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by denver19 (Post 32766387)

Also, Harry Kim, on the Big Island HAS backed off the second test. This was the rallying cry of all because the world was going to end if Hawaii didn't have a second test for incoming tourists after landing. Mayor Kim tested 4,000 people, got a bunch of false positives, ZERO were actually positive, so now no second test on the island of Hawai'i. Kudos to Mayor Kim for actually looking at data and correcting a bad decision.

This is not the case. Kim said he's considering other options, including mandating a 3 day quarantine prior to a PCR test, but the second test at the airport program remains until Ige and Kim approve otherwise.

And through the first 3,891 tested on the Big Island, one confirmed COVID+ passenger was identified.

ExplorerWannabe Oct 23, 2020 1:20 pm

The idea of testing more than once is sound given the evidence of how the virus incubates. Testing a second time was (I think) a desired balance between the safety of verifying the prior negative test and the inconvenience and cost of testing repetitively over the course of the incubation period. The particular test used apparently has issues; that's a whole different problem.

exp Oct 23, 2020 7:00 pm

Some restaurants are signaling that they don't want tourists.

Tourists and residents returning from the mainland and other islands are being told they’re not welcome in select restaurants on Kauai, and other islands. Online orders are still being accepted, but a variety of restaurants have posted notices that visitors and those recently returned from travel are not welcome to sit and enjoy any outdoor dining.

It’s the latest stand off between locals, tourists and government officials who can’t seem to get along. Kauai’s mayor requested a second covid-19 test three days after arrival, but Hawaii State Government overruled the request, stating it would add too much complexity to the already large ask of pre-flight covid-19 testing in place of prohibitive 14 day quarantine periods.

Locals, spooked of potential for virus spread through visitors, despite incredibly low statistical evidence of any additional worries are refusing sit down service to anyone who has yet to complete 14 days of quarantine, according to news reports from the Honolulu Star, and KHON.
https://www.godsavethepoints.com/kau...vel-reopening/

LIH Prem Oct 23, 2020 7:08 pm

There's a couple of outliers. So what?

-David

philemer Oct 23, 2020 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by exp (Post 32769011)

https://www.godsavethepoints.com/kau...vel-reopening/

Originally Posted by LIH Prem (Post 32769031)
There's a couple of outliers. So what?

-David

Yup, their lose. I won't visit restaurants/businesses that don't want me.

mtofell Oct 23, 2020 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by exp (Post 32769011)

Wonder if they asked their out of work employees and their starving families for their input before they arrived at this decision? I'm thinking not.

sullim4 Oct 23, 2020 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 32769199)
Yup, their lose. I won't visit restaurants/businesses that don't want me.

Same here. We are headed to Poipu three weeks from today, assuming everything holds up. I want to support local businesses, they need the cash and we both love the food on the islands. Favorites that come to mind are Kalaheo Cafe, Beach House, Jojo's, Da Crack, and Ishihara Market.

But I'm more than happy to stay away and not make a scene at any establishment that doesn't want tourists. Agreed, it's their loss.

Weatherboy Oct 23, 2020 11:27 pm

Lanai

With the crisis unfolding on Lanai, beyond their island-specific stay at home orders, I suspect the rest of Maui County will be next. Today the Big Island saw a top 5 new infection count too...so even before tourists came in, the pandemic was spreading in the community. Unless something radically changes, I think there will be rollbacks on tourism before there's bigger openings.

JNelson113 Oct 24, 2020 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Weatherboy (Post 32769309)
With the crisis unfolding on Lanai, beyond their island-specific stay at home orders, I suspect the rest of Maui County will be next. Today the Big Island saw a top 5 new infection count too...so even before tourists came in, the pandemic was spreading in the community. Unless something radically changes, I think there will be rollbacks on tourism before there's bigger openings.

Is there a general understanding that these outbreaks are through local contact? There seems to be so much anti-tourist sentiment. I worry that tourists will be blamed for these outbreaks and that situation will get worse.