Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 8, 20, 6:28 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: slippahs
Wiki Link
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

Old Sep 24, 20, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by BlooJoo View Post
Booked Hotel Wailea on Maui for five nights over Christmas. Coming from the mainland. Looking forward to it!

Do I really need to remove the rental car stickers from my rental car? LoL
No, I said it but reality is itís not that big a deal. If you were parking at very remote locations it possibly might be a good idea.
denver19 likes this.
Old Sep 24, 20, 11:25 am

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
No, I said it but reality is itís not that big a deal. If you were parking at very remote locations it possibly might be a good idea.
👍
Old Sep 24, 20, 2:27 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by denver19 View Post
Well, it isn't other tourists tracking visitors and worrying about their quarantine etc. So the "occasional yahoo" is a local. My personal quarantine experience was rife with unneeded local oversight. October 15 cant come quick enough for me. Maui's (Hawaii) response to Covid has been inefective and economically ruinous. Thankfully, we are beginning to reopen. It's only been 6 months...

Lanai? I have a boat. I have friends on Lanai. I can be there in 30 minutes, but I don't think I can get off the boat. When I read your summation of what island travel needs a quarantine, well, I wish we did this better.
Lanai is part of Maui County. Although Mayor Victorino wants to do something special for the 2 smaller islands since they pretty much have no healthcare infrastructure.
Old Sep 24, 20, 3:27 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by BlooJoo View Post
Booked Hotel Wailea on Maui for five nights over Christmas. Coming from the mainland. Looking forward to it!

Do I really need to remove the rental car stickers from my rental car? LoL
Short answer: Absolutely not.

Longer answer: Hawaii's crime rate is quite low compared to most Mainland states. Our property crime rate is higher than our crimes against people. Are tourists sometimes targeted by crooks? Sure. Same as any tourist destination.

One thing I keep telling people: Do not store valuables (or anything) in view in your car. And, if you are going to place something in storage in your trunk, for heaven's sake, do it before your arrive at your next location.

Enjoy your trip and don't listen the to paranoid rantings of some on this thread.
Boraxo and Statman like this.
Old Sep 24, 20, 4:33 pm

Aulani reopening Nov 1.
Old Sep 26, 20, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Four Season Hualalai accepting reservations 12/15 but from what I saw of the property I suspect it will only be a partial reopening. Much construction go on with 2 of the pools currently being resurfaced. They recently replaced the roof on the Beach House restaurant but it reportedly just opened again. New units being constructed at the north end of the property are no where near completed so I suspect they will not be able to book the rooms near the construction. They are offering incentive to book there in December which in the past was unthinkable but I would still inquire about what is available and what is closed.

Last edited by nomad420; Sep 26, 20 at 2:15 pm Reason: typo
Old Sep 26, 20, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
Four Season Hualalai accepting reservations 12/15 but from what I saw of the property I suspect it will only be a partial reopening. Much construction go on with 2 of the pools currently being resurfaced. They recently replaced the roof on the Beach House restaurant but it reportedly just opened again. New units being constructed at the north end of the property are no where near completed so I suspect they will not be able to book the rooms near the construction. They are offering incentive to book there in December which in the past was unthinkable but I would still inquire about what is available and what is closed.
Hualalai reopens 12/1 ...and thats when their restaurants will reopen too. They promise to have resort facilities back up and running by then, so we'll see. They do have very reasonable kama'ainna rates up in December; I booked a handful of days which came in under 50% rack rate and includes breakfast for two at Ulu.

They replaced the roofs of all the buuldings last fall. If they need to be repaired/replaced so often, they should ditch the cedar shingles and copper.
Old Sep 27, 20, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy View Post
Hualalai reopens 12/1 ...and thats when their restaurants will reopen too. They promise to have resort facilities back up and running by then, so we'll see. They do have very reasonable kama'ainna rates up in December; I booked a handful of days which came in under 50% rack rate and includes breakfast for two at Ulu.

They replaced the roofs of all the buuldings last fall. If they need to be repaired/replaced so often, they should ditch the cedar shingles and copper.
I posted about this before, it is a bit confusing as I received and email from them stating the open 12/15 but when I went online they were indeed accepting reservation for 12/1 on. Either way I would call to get the full story on what is and will not be open/available. They are running incentive deals now for December which as I stated in the past was unthinkable. 50% rack rate is great with breakfast!

The roofs on the property are almost constantly being changed. The roof which I saw being specifically replaced was at the Beach House restaurant. FWIW this was probably the most minor renovation going on. The north end of the property is under extensive renovation with new pool going in by the King's pond and new rooms at the extreme north end of the property. I find it hard to believe that will be finished but they certainly have the dollars to get the work done quickly if need be. The roof problem on the property has been an issue for years and for appearance reasons they won't change from the cedar shingles.

Last edited by nomad420; Sep 28, 20 at 11:38 am
Old Sep 28, 20, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Friend that lives in Waikiki texted me today:

“Waikiki beach today looks like one giant party...Got out there and turned right back around.”

Logic would say watch for another surge and shutdown.
Old Sep 28, 20, 12:39 pm
exp

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
They don't block off the parking lots at least?
Old Sep 28, 20, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
The reply was "no".
Old Oct 6, 20, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Well looks like Big Island will be off the list for Q4..

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...sting-program/
Old Oct 6, 20, 7:02 pm

I just read that .. via Civil Beat ...

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/1...sting-program/

And this ... (Apparently they are looking into doing something different according to Maui Mayor VIctorino)

https://mauinow.com/2020/10/06/10-da...esting-launch/

I wonder how this is going to work out? Give it a few days to see what happens, if anything ...

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Oct 6, 20 at 7:14 pm
Old Oct 6, 20, 7:30 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post

And this ... (Apparently they are looking into doing something different according to Maui Mayor VIctorino)

I wonder how this is going to work out? Give it a few days to see what happens, if anything ...

-David
After 3 bookings the last few weeks and between flights being changed/canceled, my preferred hotels not being open and the uncertainty of what islands I can visit and in what order (I have to island hop to see clients) I am throwing in the towel for now. Going to wait a few weeks and see what happens for the later part of Q4
Old Oct 6, 20, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post

-David
The shifting goal posts are really something. We are only 9 days away; seems late in the game to change things up. However, my friends in "hospitality" say they are being called back to work. Hyatt, boats, some restaurants: so this latest bit is probably just theater. The big hotels etc. talk to the Mayor and Governor every day.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: