Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Oct 8, 20, 6:28 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: slippahs
Wiki Link
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

Old Aug 6, 20, 7:17 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe View Post
This is hilarious. "Run" not "walk"? If you walk then you'll be fined? So strange.
You will be arrested. On the Big Island, they were arresting people that walked out onto the beach with beach towels when you were only allowed in the water and had to run back/forth quickly. The intention there was since you're running across the sand, there's no time/place to dry-off. There's also a few YouTube videos of law enforcement tackling people sitting on the sand when beaches were closed.

The only thing surprising (or not surprising if the incompetence of leadership isn't a surprise) is Ige isn't ready to announce the suspension of the 9/1 tourist ban and 72 hour pre-arrival test. He said he needs another week to figure things out.

Clearly you're not having outsiders in when your own local residents are locked down into the first week of September.

This is hilarious. "Run" not "walk"? If you walk then you'll be fined? So strange.
The official language is "quickly traverse"

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Aug 7, 20 at 3:42 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Aug 6, 20, 7:23 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Gold, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC
Originally Posted by Weatherboy View Post
You will be arrested. On the Big Island, they were arresting people that walked out onto the beach with beach towels when you were only allowed in the water and had to run back/forth quickly. The intention there was since you're running across the sand, there's no time/place to dry-off. There's also a few YouTube videos of law enforcement tackling people sitting on the sand when beaches were closed.
I certainly don't see the need to tackle people when you're defeating the purpose of these measures by making it easier to transmit the virus by getting close-up and physical. Sounds like crazyville!
nnn likes this.
Old Aug 6, 20, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
I certainly don't see the need to tackle people when you're defeating the purpose of these measures by making it easier to transmit the virus by getting close-up and physical. Sounds like crazyville!
Indeed crazyville --especially when law enforcement doesn't wear PPE...or at least they weren't in the earlier ban.

Example on this video:
Old Aug 6, 20, 8:53 pm

As a Maui resident I'm glad to see they are implementing separate rules for the islands. We're doing well here and I don't think as drastic of measures and needed at this point. The comparatively larger/dense population on Oahu is undoubtedly a huge factor. Maui is largely one big ghost town.

I'd sure love to see some way to let residents travel to mainland and back with a negative Covid test. Opening for tourism is one thing but just allowing residents to move back and forth for family sure would be nice. I thought a few weeks ago I heard this was a priority and supposed to be coming but haven't heard anything since.
Old Aug 6, 20, 9:18 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
I'd sure love to see some way to let residents travel to mainland and back with a negative Covid test. Opening for tourism is one thing but just allowing residents to move back and forth for family sure would be nice. I thought a few weeks ago I heard this was a priority and supposed to be coming but haven't heard anything since.
Why is a negative test OK for a resident but not for a tourist?
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Aug 6, 20, 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by nnn View Post
Why is a negative test OK for a resident but not for a tourist?
Because tourism is optional and some people need to travel for work to feed their families. It's also a numbers game. Packing hotels (and restaurants/pools and bars) with tourists is a HUGE way to spread a virus. Me coming home and hanging out mainly in my house is comparatively very low risk. It would just nice if I could run to the store without being arrested.

I also have elderly parents on the mainland that I need to help out pretty regularly.
Old Aug 6, 20, 10:33 pm

Programs: UA MM Gold, AA Ex Plat, SPG Plat,Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Because tourism is optional and some people need to travel for work to feed their families. It's also a numbers game. Packing hotels (and restaurants/pools and bars) with tourists is a HUGE way to spread a virus. Me coming home and hanging out mainly in my house is comparatively very low risk. It would just nice if I could run to the store without being arrested.

I also have elderly parents on the mainland that I need to help out pretty regularly.
What about biz travel from the mainland to Hawaii? How would that fit into things ? Itís more than just tourists and residents so where do you draw the line?
I only bring up the topic because of course personally Iam in that group but there is a good amount of biz travel back and forth I see it on my Sunday night flights to HNL

Last edited by cbrown5294; Aug 6, 20 at 11:25 pm
Old Aug 6, 20, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by cbrown5294 View Post
What about biz travel from the mainland to Hawaii? How would that fit into things ? It’s more than just tourists and residents so where do you draw the line?
That's a valid point for sure. My first thought is that the priority would be between resident and tourism. It's just a super slippery slope with trying to draw the line between business and pleasure. The IRS has been trying for decades and I still don't think they have a good handle on it.

All of these decisions are difficult for sure. I wouldn't want to be in the shoes of having to decide things. I guess it's just a bit annoying to hear this constant narrative of the state taking care of locals and my status as a local essentially means nothing in this case. Trying to survive running my company on the mainland and taking care of my parents is the same as a group of frat boys coming to get drunk and pee in the ocean.
Old Aug 7, 20, 10:08 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy View Post
The interisland travel ban kicks in on Tuesday.
Looks like I just made it then, leaving tomorrow AM. Again from the sound of it you can fly inter-island you just have to quarantine right? Although not sure how many flight will now be running, probably just enough for "essential travel". The beach restrictions are a bit of a bummer but I have access to semi private remote beach area that I can't imagine would be shut down as it is not a state beach park. Still trying to figure out much of what went down yesterday.
Old Aug 7, 20, 10:47 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by nomad420 View Post
Again from the sound of it you can fly inter-island you just have to quarantine right?
Correct. Despite some posts above which could be worded more accurately, there is no inter-island travel ban. There is, however, inter-island quarantine, slightly updated since last time.

As before, inter-island flights will continue, and frequency will be dictated by demand.
Old Aug 7, 20, 12:12 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Looks like I just made it then, leaving tomorrow AM. Again from the sound of it you can fly inter-island you just have to quarantine right? Although not sure how many flight will now be running, probably just enough for "essential travel". The beach restrictions are a bit of a bummer but I have access to semi private remote beach area that I can't imagine would be shut down as it is not a state beach park. Still trying to figure out much of what went down yesterday.
Way back in this thread you were talking about going to the beach too. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32372201-post117.html

I guess you forgot the feedback you received that no, going to beaches is not allowed. No beaches are "semi-private," and you should know that.

Last edited by 747FC; Aug 7, 20 at 12:19 pm
Old Aug 7, 20, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
Way back in this thread you were talking about going to the beach too. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32372201-post117.html

I guess you forgot the feedback you received that no, going to beaches is not allowed. No beaches are "semi-private," and you should know that.
That was last May and yes I have obviously gathered much information about the closures and restrictions since then. Also, I did previously state that I am well aware of the fact the NO BEACHES ARE "PRIVATE". But, and I am open to comment on this, from what I read they are closing the State Beaches or am I wrong and that they are closing virtually all beach access. Where I am we do have a community beach area that is fairly remote, hopefully that will not be closed in 2 weeks anyhow. Also, and again I don't have a dog in this fight, how do you restrict those home owners that are beach front property holders? This got a fairly hot discussion way back on this thread as well.
Old Aug 7, 20, 12:47 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Hawaii continues to confuse me. Based on the news this morning one needs to quarantine again for inter island travel, which is what I understood from yesterday. What caught me off guard is that arrival into Oahu will not require quarantine inter island, just the other islands? Iím positive that is what Josh Green said this morning.

Seems odd that I could fly OGG-HNL and not quarantine. Not that Iím going to, just curious if others caught that comment from him.
Old Aug 7, 20, 12:54 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
That was last May and yes I have obviously gathered much information about the closures and restrictions since then. Also, I did previously state that I am well aware of the fact the NO BEACHES ARE "PRIVATE". But, and I am open to comment on this, from what I read they are closing the State Beaches or am I wrong and that they are closing virtually all beach access. Where I am we do have a community beach area that is fairly remote, hopefully that will not be closed in 2 weeks anyhow. Also, and again I don't have a dog in this fight, how do you restrict those home owners that are beach front property holders? This got a fairly hot discussion way back on this thread as well.
You are having trouble understanding that ALL beaches are state beaches. Period.
Old Aug 7, 20, 1:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
Seems odd that I could fly OGG-HNL and not quarantine. Not that I’m going to, just curious if others caught that comment from him.
That's correct. From the Star-Advertiser:

Ige decided to approve the interisland travel quarantine only for travelers arriving on the counties of Kauai, Hawaii, Maui and Kalawao on Molokai. The quarantine requirement applies to anyone traveling to the neighbor islands. The period of self-quarantine will begin immediately upon arrival and last 14 days or the duration of the person’s stay on the island, whichever is shorter, he said.

tl;dr: Quarantine is required for those travelling to other islands from Oahu, but not for those travelling to Oahu from other islands.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: