Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Oct 8, 2020, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: slippahs
//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

When will Hawaii re-open for tourism?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2020, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by 747FC
Even when Hawaii was under martial law during WW2, and citizens were being rounded up for confinement, there was no civil unrest.
Did you actually experience this or you relying on wikipedia and the like?

I'm guessing you actually didn't experience this ~80 years ago...so, in your very very long time in Hawaii, have you actually experienced anything remotely similar to the impacts of Covid-19?
Old May 22, 2020, 8:54 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Aloha, all:

Please allow me to step in here and first thank all who are participating in this thread for sharing their thoughts. That being said, please let me also make a friendly but formal request to be mindful of the tone and content of posts and ensure they are in compliance with this site's rules. Specific guidance is to keep the discussion cordial, non-personalized (discuss the post, not the poster), and on-topic (which is when might the current quarantine policies end, not the history of the transition of the Kingdom of Hawai`i to the Territory of Hawai`i to the State of Hawai`i). Slippahs and I are willing to give this forum a "light touch," but we do need to ensure that there is general compliance with the FlyerTalk Rules.

Mahalo,

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawai`i (Travel) Forum
Old May 22, 2020, 7:15 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Even when Hawaii was under martial law during WW2, and citizens were being rounded up for confinement, there was no civil unrest.
I initially thought you were speaking of TOH when you said that "citizens were being rounded up for confinement", but I now think you were referring to the rounding up and internment of US citizens of Japanese descent on the mainland (at least that's the interpretation that makes the most historical sense), so my apologies if I misunderstood you, but it appeared that you were referring to US citizens in TOH. Now, let me return to the topic at hand. I agree with you that civil unrest is an unlikely response to prolonging the quarantine in Hawaii, though protests will likely continue from those who are unemployed and work in hotels and restaurants.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; May 22, 2020 at 7:23 pm
Old May 22, 2020, 8:48 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
For those who might be interested, here is a map of unemployment claims in the Hawaii workforce, based upon residential locations of the claimants.

https://rpubs.com/jtyndall/claimsperworker

The map was created by the University of Hawaii https://uhero.hawaii.edu/mapping-une...ims-in-hawaii/ from SOH data.

Of interest, Waikiki area is 31%, and parts of Maui are over 50%

Last edited by 747FC; May 22, 2020 at 8:52 pm Reason: clarification
Old May 22, 2020, 9:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
For those who might be interested, here is a map of unemployment claims in the Hawaii workforce, based upon residential locations of the claimants.

https://rpubs.com/jtyndall/claimsperworker

The map was created by the University of Hawaii https://uhero.hawaii.edu/mapping-une...ims-in-hawaii/ from SOH data.

Of interest, Waikiki area is 31%, and parts of Maui are over 50%
Thank you! Wow, the Hanalei area in Kauai--94%!
Old May 23, 2020, 7:07 pm

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Yes, but for us Hawaii residents, it's a bit complicated no? I regularly travel to Europe and beyond; and usually for less than a week. Returning I often have relatively tight layovers, e.g. LAX for 45 minutes. In my layovers now am I expected to go get a test? It's going to be a mess. It works well for point-to-point travel; but it's a mess for those coming from farther afield.

Originally Posted by wchinchen
If information don't match, or there are issues, expect to be on the next return flight.
This I actually have issues with - as in effect it is a US State "denying entry" to other citizens. It's unfortunate.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 23, 2020 at 7:54 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old May 23, 2020, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by MDTyKe
I regularly travel to Europe and beyond; and usually for less than a week. Returning I often have relatively tight layovers, e.g. LAX for 45 minutes. In my layovers now am I expected to go get a test?
Similar travel patterns for me. If pre-departure tests are required when flying to Hawaii, my plan would be to get a test in Europe before departure. As there will be so many tourists arriving in Hawaii from abroad, no doubt any system which requires tests before departure will include a provision to accept non-US tests also.
Old May 25, 2020, 2:17 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
It's just especially difficult with say certain places - e.g. UK. In the UK it isn't easy to get elective 'tests', if at all. Often also appointments get moved; it's really going to be difficult to do. I'd hope they have some kind of in-airport testing that yields instant results; or waive it for residents. Otherwise, it really is hard to get home.
Old May 25, 2020, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Thank you! Wow, the Hanalei area in Kauai--94%!
Indeed, if you read the letters to the local newspaper the people are getting desperate:
https://www.thegardenisland.com/2020...y-may-25-2020/
Old May 25, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by Alex_I
Indeed, if you read the letters to the local newspaper the people are getting desperate:
I am unable to open the link, but I believe people are getting despearate. And if Hawaii doesn't hurry up and say what the plan is, it is only going to get worse. I currently have a fully refundable trip for late July. I originally was willing to wait it out and not cancel until two weeks out, but I am reconsidering that now. I see great deals on trips to Florida that I don't want to miss out on if I wait to long to cancel the trip to Hawaii. I will wait another week or two and hopefully there is some sign of change.
VCURamFan likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 12:02 pm
Suspended

People get what they voted for.
msp3 and VCURamFan like this.
Old May 25, 2020, 6:54 pm

Originally Posted by MDTyKe
It's just especially difficult with say certain places - e.g. UK. In the UK it isn't easy to get elective 'tests', if at all. Often also appointments get moved; it's really going to be difficult to do. I'd hope they have some kind of in-airport testing that yields instant results; or waive it for residents. Otherwise, it really is hard to get home.
They are expecting testing to become easy to get, for example, at a Walgreens or CVS or even at the airport. That's how the Lt. Gov explained the possible re-opening to tourism plan. Again, still very preliminary, things can and will change. There's a lot of global talk about health passports ... whatever that means. I think that is equally fluid at this point.

Frankly, I'd feel much safer getting on a plane or a cruise ship (not just going to Hawaii) knowing that everybody on board has been tested. And not just temp tested .. that's just theater for the most part.

-David
hawaii-bound, nnn and ExpatExp like this.

Last edited by LIH Prem; May 25, 2020 at 7:00 pm
Old May 26, 2020, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by ksucats
I am unable to open the link, but I believe people are getting despearate. And if Hawaii doesn't hurry up and say what the plan is, it is only going to get worse. I currently have a fully refundable trip for late July. I originally was willing to wait it out and not cancel until two weeks out, but I am reconsidering that now. I see great deals on trips to Florida that I don't want to miss out on if I wait to long to cancel the trip to Hawaii. I will wait another week or two and hopefully there is some sign of change.
- sorry for the link - it did work OK for me. I do not want to cut-and-paste the letters without permissions. On May 25th there are only two letters. The first one basically says that Hawaii state government failed to provide essential needs for people to survive and that the author of the letter is one of many local residents who has not received the unemployment check in a timely matter. He literary has no means to survive The second letter is asking to randomly check 1,000 residents of Kauai for immunity. The author believes that as a tourist destination it is likely that Kaua‘i was exposed to Covid-19 early in the year and that many people on the island already got the antibodies. If so they should open up for tourists as usual and would have no problems. Clearly, some folks are becoming very desperate.
Meanwhile, one of my coworkers is spending a week at Hilton Head, SC. According her she did not see any differences, bar and restaurants are open, nobody cares about 6 ft distancing, and nobody is wearing masks... Personally, I would still wash hands regularly and rather have a good bottle of wine in private than at the bar. But I am certainly going to Hilton Head in June.
ksucats likes this.
Old May 26, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
- sorry for the link - it did work OK for me. I do not want to cut-and-paste the letters without permissions. On May 25th there are only two letters. The first one basically says that Hawaii state government failed to provide essential needs for people to survive and that the author of the letter is one of many local residents who has not received the unemployment check in a timely matter. He literary has no means to survive The second letter is asking to randomly check 1,000 residents of Kauai for immunity. The author believes that as a tourist destination it is likely that Kaua‘i was exposed to Covid-19 early in the year and that many people on the island already got the antibodies. If so they should open up for tourists as usual and would have no problems. Clearly, some folks are becoming very desperate.
Meanwhile, one of my coworkers is spending a week at Hilton Head, SC. According her she did not see any differences, bar and restaurants are open, nobody cares about 6 ft distancing, and nobody is wearing masks... Personally, I would still wash hands regularly and rather have a good bottle of wine in private than at the bar. But I am certainly going to Hilton Head in June.
That is quite the coincidence. So am I. This isn't our big summer vacation, but my wife and I are flying to Savannah in June. Going to spend a couple days there and a couple days on Hilton Head. We just booked this trip on Saturday after seeing reports from there. Can't wait.

By the way, the link worked for me when I tried it again this morning. Not sure what the issue was yesterday.
Old May 26, 2020, 2:46 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Looks like Lt. Governor Josh Green is aiming for July.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...ustry-by-july/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.