Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2020, 8:39 am

Flying from ORD-LAX-HNL, options there for testing / change stopover to SFO?

Aloha all,

First post here. Apologies if too long, but I'm super frustrated with finding good advice from the airlines, Hawaii tourism, or the airports. I go to Hawaii yearly and in ordinary times I know my way around, but this is throwing me for a loop.

After having the goalposts moved so may times (awaiting HI to launch the pre-travel testing program) I finally settled on February for my next trip. Being in the rural midwest, rapid testing options are nonexistent. I have to drive to ORD for my originating flight. And, being a Hawaiian Airlines fan, I have to fly to a west coast gateway to catch the flight to HNL. I chose LAX, but am having second thoughts because I'm worried about being able to find the pre-HNL-flight testing.

Hawaiian Airlines' flight schedule is very limited, so I have to do ORD-LAX by United the evening before (Feb. 3), overnight at airport hotel, then the morning flight from LAX-HNL (Feb. 4).

Looking at the LAX testing options, I'm wondering if I need to switch to SFO, where it looks easier to get an in- or near-airport test. It would be a similar arrangement if I did (ORD-SFO by United the night before, night at airport hotel, morning flight from SFO-HNL).

Any advice appreciated!!

Chris
Old Dec 13, 2020, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by cjmitch72
Looking at the LAX testing options, I'm wondering if I need to switch to SFO, where it looks easier to get an in- or near-airport test. It would be a similar arrangement if I did (ORD-SFO by United the night before, night at airport hotel, morning flight from SFO-HNL).
For LAX rapid testing, watch this page: Traveling to Hawaii? - Clarity Lab Solutions

Clarity Lab Solutions (Clarity Mobile Ventures) is supposed to go live soon with an on-site testing lab which will allow them to provide rapid testing results. Original live date was supposed to be early December, but that has passed. It’s promising, but I haven’t heard any recent updates.

As for their current option, we got tested last week and had a turnaround of 20 hours. Quick, but not rapid enough for your needs. They currently have to send tests to their lab in downtown LA.

Lastly, there are no other current rapid test sites in the LA area that I am aware of.

Beat of luck to you, and plan according to what will keep your stress level lowest. There are absolutely no guarantees that any current implementation, whether mainland or on the islands themselves, will still be in place in a few months, so prepare to be extremely flexible up until the last moment.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 9:17 am

Thanks, BeachRat -- Another (less-desirable) option would be to fly to LA earlier in the day Feb 3 so as to have enough time to get a test done. Would that help?
Old Dec 13, 2020, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by cjmitch72
Thanks, BeachRat -- Another (less-desirable) option would be to fly to LA earlier in the day Feb 3 so as to have enough time to get a test done. Would that help?
Yes, definitely an option too. Clarity has said they will return results within 24 hours of testing time, and it appears they are consistently hitting that mark. The airport test locations are easy and at Terminals 2, 6, and TBIT (International). Appointments are not required, as they do take walk ups, but you will need to create an account on the Clarity web site and pay online before taking the test. Their site also has a decent indication of wait time at each terminal once you login. All were minimal when I checked.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
AFC clinics

Originally Posted by Soarin_chris
Here's a link to the AFC clinics that offer the rapid test: https://www.afcurgentcare.com/patien...ravel-testing/ Are you close enough to use one of them? There is one in Willowbrook,IL which is abt 20 miles from ORD. Results in < 1 hour.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 1:11 pm

I'm about 3 hours downstate, but it might be worth it to make an extra trip up for the peace of mind to have it in hand before departing ORD! Thanks -- how much do they charge, do you know? Can I make an appointment this far out, so I lock in a time?
Old Dec 13, 2020, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Soarin_chris
I'm about 3 hours downstate, but it might be worth it to make an extra trip up for the peace of mind to have it in hand before departing ORD! Thanks -- how much do they charge, do you know? Can I make an appointment this far out, so I lock in a time?
Answers to your questions can be found on their website.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 5:24 pm

Programs: AS 75K
My wife landed at OGG around 11AM today and was outside with bags retrieved within 15 mintues... and with a stylish blue wristband. She said there was no screening whatsoever in OGG (other than temp scan while deplaning). Just someone checking from a distance that she had a blue wristband.
Old Dec 13, 2020, 5:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know if Doctors on Call Maui is a valid testing partner for inter-island travel? They advertise rapid tests for inter-island clearance on their website, but are not listed on the state website as a trusted partner.

https://doctorsoncallmaui.com/
Old Dec 13, 2020, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Doppy
Does anyone know if Doctors on Call Maui is a valid testing partner for inter-island travel? They advertise rapid tests for inter-island clearance on their website, but are not listed on the state website as a trusted partner.

https://doctorsoncallmaui.com/
See https://www.hawaii-guide.com/hawaii-...sting-partners
Old Dec 13, 2020, 7:11 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by mtofell
My wife landed at OGG around 11AM today and was outside with bags retrieved within 15 mintues... and with a stylish blue wristband. She said there was no screening whatsoever in OGG (other than temp scan while deplaning). Just someone checking from a distance that she had a blue wristband.
Must be a new feature...the blue wrist band. Wasn't that way on Dec 3, it was pink sheet then.

Screening? There has not been any screening (other than temp check) at OGG at any time, AFAIK.. Did she show her QR code to get the wrist band?
edit: Was this on Alaska flying from PDX or SEA?

Last edited by BlueZebra; Dec 13, 2020 at 9:55 pm
Old Dec 14, 2020, 2:04 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
Must be a new feature...the blue wrist band. Wasn't that way on Dec 3, it was pink sheet then.

Screening? There has not been any screening (other than temp check) at OGG at any time, AFAIK.. Did she show her QR code to get the wrist band?
edit: Was this on Alaska flying from PDX or SEA?
See post #1405 above - Alaska just started a program to verify people BEFORE boarding so they don't have to wait in line when arriving.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 5:34 pm
pxm

My wife and I are scheduled to travel to Honolulu on January 25th. My wife is a health care professional and will have her COVID-19 vaccine on Wednesday. Does anyone know what the State of Hawaii's plans are for people who have been vaccinated as it relates to the pre-departure testing?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 14, 2020 at 5:43 pm Reason: moved from "experiences only" thread
Old Dec 14, 2020, 5:40 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by pxm
My wife and I are scheduled to travel to Honolulu on January 25th. My wife is a health care professional and will have her COVID-19 vaccine on Wednesday. Does anyone know what the State of Hawaii's plans are for people who have been vaccinated as it relates to the pre-departure testing?
If you check the local Hawaii media, I believe they have announced those that have been vaccinated do not have to test or quarantine.
Old Dec 14, 2020, 6:00 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
If you check the local Hawaii media, I believe they have announced those that have been vaccinated do not have to test or quarantine.
The governor needs to officially change the rule (this hasn't happened yet), but he did say he would.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.