Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2020, 5:37 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by fjord
Also flew on an interesting bird, UA sent a 77W down to OGG. It was 30% full at best. Cargo I assume?
Discussed on the United board...nobody knows for sure, but cargo is a strong favorite.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
FYI, Hawaii Island is back up to 100% second-testing those that come in with a negative pre-travel test. The Mayor of the Big Island acquired the necessary approvals and space to test all arrivals at both ITO and KOA airport. The KOA airport testing was scaled back to as few as 20% of arrivals but they decided to bring it back to 100% now.

Should be interesting to see how the new mayors for Hawaii and Honolulu change things up in the coming days.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
FYI, Hawaii Island is back up to 100% second-testing those that come in with a negative pre-travel test. The Mayor of the Big Island acquired the necessary approvals and space to test all arrivals at both ITO and KOA airport. The KOA airport testing was scaled back to as few as 20% of arrivals but they decided to bring it back to 100% now.
Really? Testing hundreds of people with no symptoms, who just tested negative a few days ago? This is just a waste of resources and illogical.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 6:25 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by denver19
Really? Testing hundreds of people with no symptoms, who just tested negative a few days ago? This is just a waste of resources and illogical.
Not to mention the consequences of false positive results. With the pre-test I would expect MOST positive re-test results to be false.

I am willing to cancel my vacation due to a false positive before travel, but no way would I take a 1.5% chance of 14 day imprisonment at my expense.

An arrival test makes sense for residents who did not pre-test, but not for tourists who did.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Not to mention the consequences of false positive results. With the pre-test I would expect MOST positive re-test results to be false.

I am willing to cancel my vacation due to a false positive before travel, but no way would I take a 1.5% chance of 14 day imprisonment at my expense.

An arrival test makes sense for residents who did not pre-test, but not for tourists who did.
If you test positive, they give you a PCR test on the spot and can usually get the results back within 24 hours. During which you'd need to stay in quarantine. I'd say that's a small price to pay when leading health experts continue to say now is not the time for leisure travel, Hawaii or otherwise.

Yet the process has proven that people who test negatively before travel are indeed arriving positive. Several of which need hopitalization, hence the Kauai lockdown.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 2, 2020 at 3:39 am Reason: Multi-quote
Old Dec 1, 2020, 10:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

that's how sports (NHL, NBA) bubbles worked and proved to be quite successful...many workplaces do the same right now... test test test was the initial idea for covid spread prevention - just not feasible on nationwide scale..
HI can not afford to allow even a small fraction of cases in so it's a tiny investment on the scale of tourism.. ideally it would be best to space those tests by 5-7 days but from practical prospective a quick test on arrival will do and false positives be immediately retested
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Any reason not to do rapid test at Walgreens over the 72hr PCR?
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:58 am

Programs: AS 75K
As a resident of Hawaii that travels back and forth regularly for work I'm in favor of just about anything other than the 14-day quarantine. Testing after a few days? No problem. Sitting in my house for 14 days (I'm often not even on the island that long so it's my entire stay) is torture.

The tourism angle is tough for sure since I don't think most people will go for having to sit for 3-4 days before really starting their vacation. Resort bubble? Certainly better than being locked in their room but still not great.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 11:12 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by mtofell
As a resident of Hawaii that travels back and forth regularly for work I'm in favor of just about anything other than the 14-day quarantine. Testing after a few days? No problem. Sitting in my house for 14 days (I'm often not even on the island that long so it's my entire stay) is torture.

The tourism angle is tough for sure since I don't think most people will go for having to sit for 3-4 days before really starting their vacation. Resort bubble? Certainly better than being locked in their room but still not great.
The CDC is set to release new quarantine guidelines today that would reduce the quarantine period from 14 days to 7 days with a negative test taken on the 7th day or 10 days with no test and symptom free for 72 hours. This is a good change as the current 14 day rule has been in place since the beginning of the Pandemic in February when community spread was very low and the CDC admitted at the time that 10 days would be appropriate, but they added 4 days just to be safe. I wonder if Hawaii will update their guidelines or they will make an excuse that “they’re following their own science.”

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/01/healt...nes/index.html
ExplorerWannabe likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I wonder if Hawaii will update their guidelines or they will make an excuse that “they’re following their own science.”
Doubtful. When information bureaucrats were using to make policy becomes wrong, they never update the policies favorably. They double down on the stupidity.
DJ_Iceman, LETTERBOY and denver19 like this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:32 pm

Meanwhile a couple ignored the rules and their test results and flew on UA1111 SFO-LIH on Sunday while they were positive (and while flying with a child.)

Not only were they arrested in Hawaii with endangering other passengers with death, but they ruined the vacations of so many people on that flight now trapped in quarantine at their expense waiting to see if they're infected and temporarily banned from leaving Hawaii to go home anytime soon.

https://www.kron4.com/news/bay-area/...-arrested/amp/
Old Dec 2, 2020, 12:38 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Meanwhile a couple ignored the rules and their test results and flew on UA1111 SFO-LIH on Sunday while they were positive (and while flying with a child.)

Not only were they arrested in Hawaii with endangering other passengers with death, but they ruined the vacations of so many people on that flight now trapped in quarantine at their expense waiting to see if they're infected and temporarily banned from leaving Hawaii to go home anytime soon.

Incredible arrogance...precisely a reason for all adult-babies to have their tests confirmed prior to boarding.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
What makes it even more damning is that this couple are residents of Kauai, and knew before even stepping on the plane that they tested positive for Covid-19. It's easy to blame tourists and make them jump through the hoops while at the same time the locals can do whatever they please!
Old Dec 2, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM

The couple were residents of Kauai. They didn't care about the others on the plane or the other residents of their island. Unreal!
Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, Avis Chairman, Four Seasons Elite, HA Pualani Gold
How were they even able to board that flight with negative test results?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.