Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 29, 22, 9:32 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Wiki Link
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically including island residents returning home will be allowed to bypass Hawaiis quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the states Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawaii with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawaii will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawaii.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

Old Oct 27, 20, 12:38 pm

Quick Question flying DEN-HNL-OGG is 72 hours from DEN or from HNL? Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 20, 12:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum, United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by spier072 View Post
Quick Question flying DEN-HNL-OGG is 72 hours from DEN or from HNL? Thanks!
HNL. Last Hawai’i leg. Also, be aware, you have to register them as separate trips and get a QR code for each.
Old Oct 27, 20, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by VTrain View Post
HNL. Last Hawaii leg. Also, be aware, you have to register them as separate trips and get a QR code for each.
Wait even for a Honolulu layover and not leaving the airport? Also if I am leaving Honolulu at 6pm Local that Means you couldn't take 72 hour Test until 9pm Mountain Time 3 days prior. That's a pain.
Old Oct 27, 20, 2:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum, United Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold
Wait even for a Honolulu layover and not leaving the airport? Also if I am leaving Honolulu at 6pm Local that Means you couldn't take 72 hour Test until 9pm Mountain Time 3 days prior. That's a pain.
Yes, even for a layover (see below from the FAQ):

My flight lands in Honolulu on O‘ahu but my final destination is one of the neighbor islands. Will I need to show my pre-test negative results QR code to airport personnel in Honolulu, or do this when I arrive on the neighbor island that is my final destination?

You will show your QR code to the airport screener upon arriving at Daniel K. Inouye International Airport in Honolulu. You will then be required to fill another Safe Travels Hawai‘i program application form that will apply to your trip from Honolulu to your final neighbor island destination airport. This would also be the process if you land on the island of Maui, Kaua‘i or the island of Hawai‘i first and transit to another island.
Old Oct 27, 20, 2:38 pm

HNL. Last Hawaii leg. Also, be aware, you have to register them as separate trips and get a QR code for each.
Yes, even for a layover (see below from the FAQ):

My flight lands in Honolulu on Oahu but my final destination is one of the neighbor islands. Will I need to show my pre-test negative results QR code to airport personnel in Honolulu, or do this when I arrive on the neighbor island that is my final destination?

You will show your QR code to the airport screener upon arriving at Daniel K. Inouye International Airport in Honolulu. You will then be required to fill another Safe Travels Hawaii program application form that will apply to your trip from Honolulu to your final neighbor island destination airport. This would also be the process if you land on the island of Maui, Kauai or the island of Hawaii first and transit to another island.
Looks like from that site though it would be 72 hours from Departure to Honolulu and not to Maui.
You will be required to complete testing no more than 72 hours before your flights departure time. If you have a multicity flight itinerary, the departure time is from the last city you leave before arriving at a Hawaii airport (e.g. if your travel is from Chicago to Seattle to Honolulu, the departure time to look at is your flight from Seattle).
Old Oct 27, 20, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Japan Travel Bubble

FYI --Governor David Ige is planning to announce a new travel bubble with Hawaii and Japan that would allow Japanese guests to be exempt from quarantine by testing for COVID-19 in Japan prior to departure. The announcement will be made in a press conference at 1pm today local time / 7pm ET.
Old Oct 27, 20, 3:20 pm

Looks like from that site though it would be 72 hours from Departure to Honolulu and not to Maui.
You will be required to complete testing no more than 72 hours before your flights departure time. If you have a multicity flight itinerary, the departure time is from the last city you leave before arriving at a Hawaii airport (e.g. if your travel is from Chicago to Seattle to Honolulu, the departure time to look at is your flight from Seattle).
Youre right, sorry about that.
Old Oct 27, 20, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
New Dates

Lanai is going to try to re-open to tourists on November 19.

The travel bubble from Japan to Hawaii starts November 6 for Japanese guests that test negative prior to departure.
Old Oct 27, 20, 9:45 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by Weatherboy View Post
The travel bubble from Japan to Hawaii starts November 6 for Japanese guests that test negative prior to departure.
Now if Japan can only reciprocate we'll be in business
mongobot likes this.
Old Oct 27, 20, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Bubble suggests reciprocity - this is just one sided waiving quarantine with pretesting for nonstop flights. Japanese will still have to quarantine upon return to Japan and their border is still closed to others.
Old Oct 28, 20, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Bubble suggests reciprocity - this is just one sided waiving quarantine with pretesting for nonstop flights. Japanese will still have to quarantine upon return to Japan and their border is still closed to others.
Have to wonder how many people will actually do this considering the quarantine on return (and cant use public transit to get home). But first flight appears to be ANA flight 186 on 11/6. A 789, not an A380 of course...
Old Oct 28, 20, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K 23 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
Where are people looking for testing if your route is DEN-HNL?
CVS doesn't show any Colorado testing sites.
Walgreens has two locations with one test each day - and none are near my home.

I don't need results for two weeks, but I wanted to get up to speed with the process. And it seems like you can't schedule a test more than three days out.

Any tips?
Old Oct 28, 20, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by dlaue View Post
This is confusing. I do not see CareNow clinic on the list of Hawaii approved test facilities......................................
Originally Posted by Close2KADS View Post
Agreed. Hawaii’s process is a bit confusing. As I stated on a related topic, on my way out of OGG on Sunday night (10/25), I asked the screening team supervisor about this. She showed me the list of approved partners they were using, as of Sunday, and allowed me to photograph it. It’s posted below. Note that there are several approved facilities that are listed under various airlines, e.g., CareNow under AA, Sensiva under UA. While this list is dated prior to the list of partners above, it was in use as of 10/25.
UA and AA partners are not listed separately above so does that mean you can only use them if you fly with that airline?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 29, 20 at 7:56 am Reason: image removed from quote
Old Oct 28, 20, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA MP HH
Originally Posted by philemer View Post
UA and AA partners are not listed separately above so does that mean you can only use them if you fly with that airline?
All indications have been you can use any provider on the list. After all, CVS, for example, is not associated with any airline, but is clearly acceptable. CVS is close by to our house...we will be using them, and flying United.
Old Oct 28, 20, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by BlueZebra View Post
All indications have been you can use any provider on the list. After all, CVS, for example, is not associated with any airline, but is clearly acceptable. CVS is close by to our house...we will be using them, and flying United.
CVS is assoc. with Southwest. And not all CVS locations participate, like the one near us. But we have a Wagreens that does.

Search this Thread