Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2020, 2:42 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Over reacting doesn’t help things. I’m essential, but feel like I’m living in The Soviet Union at the moment. Papers please, we need to know what you are doing.

Incredible way to wreck the economy even though we are doing ok.
stc and ExpatExp like this.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 8:27 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
https://www.kitv.com/story/41997674/...day-quarantine

Idiot from Virginia gets on a plane to HNL to see her friend who lives in Aiea and then Bonnie and Clyde hop on a WN flight to LIH (how's those quarantine protocols working for you, folks). The Kaua`i Police Department are on the ball and catch them heading the wrong way from the airport from where they said they would be staying and then, after warning them for the second time, find them shopping at the Foodland in Princeville.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
For those who are still traveling to/within Hawaii (hopefully for an essential purpose, otherwise, please stay away for now), the State now has a website it uses that you may want to complete prior to arrival to register your quarantine:

https://safetravels.hawaii.gov
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:25 am
stc

Programs: DL 2MM Gold, AA Plat Pro; Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (via SPG), IHG Plat
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Over reacting doesn’t help things. I’m essential, but feel like I’m living in The Soviet Union at the moment. Papers please, we need to know what you are doing.

Incredible way to wreck the economy even though we are doing ok.
It will be interesting to see which countries / states open too soon, which ones do things rationally (TBD), and which stay closed for too long and drive their economies further into the toilet. I'm betting some countries fall in the last group and kill their tourism industry and wind up in a long lasting depression.
Old Apr 12, 2020, 11:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Saturday's (04/11/20) passenger arrival data (from: Big Island Video News):

Yesterday, 404 people arrived in Hawaii including 89 visitors and 147 residents. In comparison, during this same time last year, nearly 30,000 passengers arrived in Hawaii daily, including residents and visitors. The state’s mandatory 14-day self-quarantine started on March 26th for all passengers arriving in Hawaii from out of state. The quarantine order was expanded on April 1st to include interisland travelers. This table shows the number of people who arrived by air from out of state yesterday and does not include interisland travel.

And some interisland data:

The Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism reported the following interisland travel numbers for April 7, 2020. Please note reporting is delayed due to processing of visitor arrival forms, the state says.

David
Old Apr 13, 2020, 9:29 pm

Have you been caught up in a roadblock yet?

The numbers they are posting over the weekend: 6 people cited for no insurance, 1 person cited for violating the ordinance. Pretty ridiculous use of resources IMO.

-David
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:42 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Have you been caught up in a roadblock yet?

The numbers they are posting over the weekend: 6 people cited for no insurance, 1 person cited for violating the ordinance. Pretty ridiculous use of resources IMO.

-David
Not yet, but I have my “papers” ready when they do.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 2:16 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Not yet, but I have my “papers” ready when they do.
"...These aren't the droids you are looking for..." should work just fine.
COSPILOT likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 11:20 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Is it just me or is Hawaii consistently about a month+ behind where they should be with this virus? The 14-day quarantine was enacted weeks past when it was prudent to do so. TODAY, roughly 6 weeks past the time we all knew this was serious, there is an order that everyone must wear masks in stores. 4 days ago they enacted a curfew in Maui and Oahu (At least Kauai had one weeks ago). And now, when the mainland is mounting plans to reopen things, Hawaii is still looking for ways to stop travelers from coming: https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...-reservations/

I get the whole, "Hawaiian Time" thing but maybe in a pandemic they could get with the rest of the world? I'm a somewhat new resident so maybe I just need just need to get used to the way things work here.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by mtofell
Is it just me or is Hawaii consistently about a month+ behind where they should be with this virus? The 14-day quarantine was enacted weeks past when it was prudent to do so. TODAY, roughly 6 weeks past the time we all knew this was serious, there is an order that everyone must wear masks in stores. 4 days ago they enacted a curfew in Maui and Oahu (At least Kauai had one weeks ago). And now, when the mainland is mounting plans to reopen things, Hawaii is still looking for ways to stop travelers from coming: https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/04/14/state-explores-deterring-tourists-by-limiting-reservations/

I get the whole, "Hawaiian Time" thing but maybe in a pandemic they could get with the rest of the world? I'm a somewhat new resident so maybe I just need just need to get used to the way things work here.
I’m relatively new so to speak, and will happily fire a client that thinks their house is critical. Nothing is going on, building supplies are a pain to come by.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 1:51 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Is it just me or is Hawaii consistently about a month+ behind where they should be with this virus? The 14-day quarantine was enacted weeks past when it was prudent to do so. TODAY, roughly 6 weeks past the time we all knew this was serious, there is an order that everyone must wear masks in stores. 4 days ago they enacted a curfew in Maui and Oahu (At least Kauai had one weeks ago). And now, when the mainland is mounting plans to reopen things, Hawaii is still looking for ways to stop travelers from coming: https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/04/14/state-explores-deterring-tourists-by-limiting-reservations/

Hawaii was late to react, but in reading world news, it seems like every jurisdiction also was late to react. To be fair, I think that leaders have lots of information coming in, with subordinates routinely bringing "urgent" matters to their attention. Once the leaders fully understood that COVID-19 really was urgent, they had to contend with how to react with the appropriate balancing that politicians practice.

In reading the Japan thread on this topic, Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated] , it is evident that there are a lot of similarities in response types.
Old Apr 15, 2020, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Is it just me or is Hawaii consistently about a month+ behind where they should be with this virus? The 14-day quarantine was enacted weeks past when it was prudent to do so. TODAY, roughly 6 weeks past the time we all knew this was serious, there is an order that everyone must wear masks in stores. 4 days ago they enacted a curfew in Maui and Oahu (At least Kauai had one weeks ago). And now, when the mainland is mounting plans to reopen things, Hawaii is still looking for ways to stop travelers from coming: https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...-reservations/

I don't want to pivot this thread too far off topic (it's about the 14 day mandatory quarantine for all arrivals), but there are counties in California that don't have a mask rule or an overnight curfew, despite having stay-at-home orders in place.

Getting back on topic, Star-Advertiser has an article expressing lawmakers' wishes to continue to crack down on tourism arrivals because the 100 or so are still too much:
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...e-keep-coming/

The plan would be to prohibit visitors from being able to book lodging.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 10:47 am

Is it just me or is Hawaii consistently about a month+ behind where they should be with this virus?
The beaches are closed now. Just a few weeks behind, not month+ anymore!
mtofell likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 1:48 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Need
The beaches are closed now. Just a few weeks behind, not month+ anymore!
Yeah... this is pretty nuts. In the same 24 hour news cycle I've heard if all goes well Hawaii MIGHT start to ease some things as soon as a few MONTHS from now, Hawaii is one of a few states ready to start "opening up" now, and that the beaches are now all closed.

So, which is it? Are we getting close to the end or are we still ramping things up?

I have some important things I have to do on the mainland with my elderly parents ASAP but am afraid to leave since I won't be able to come back without being stuck in my house for 14 days.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by DELee
Flight arrivals stats for Friday, April 3rd (from Big Island Video News ? Serving Hawaii County):

David
Well, numbers continue to shrink - here's the data for Friday, April 17th:

and BIVN's accompanying text:

Yesterday, 486 people arrived in Hawaii including 98 visitors and 184 residents. During this same time last year, nearly 30,000 passengers arrived in Hawaii daily, including residents and visitors. The state’s mandatory 14-day self-quarantine started on March 26th for all passengers arriving in Hawaii from out of state. The quarantine order was expanded on April 1st to include interisland travelers. This table shows the number of people who arrived by air from out of state yesterday and does not include interisland travel.
with the definitions of each arrival type:

Crew = flight crew members
Intended Resident = people who are moving to Hawaii such as military members and their families, and former residents who intend to live in Hawaii
Resident = people who have a Hawaii ID
Transit = people who are in transit to another location through Hawaii and aren’t leaving the airport
Visitor = people who do not have a Hawaii ID including essential health care workers, essential federal workers, former residents such as mainland college students coming to stay with family, military on temporary assignment, and leisure travelers
David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.