Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:29 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Originally Posted by Erasmus
KP in SoCal is the same way, despite what Hawaii suggests. I haven't heard any further discussion regarding which (if any) of the trusted partners will do pediatric asymptomatic testing, either. Quest, at least in my area, will not do kids.
When I asked my Kaiser physician about testing even if I was asymptotic, he asked if it was for travel and then approved an appointment. Perhaps it was because it was in the middle of an annual checkup.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:33 am

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by hans
When I asked my Kaiser physician about testing even if I was asymptotic, he asked if it was for travel and then approved an appointment. Perhaps it was because it was in the middle of an annual checkup.
Yeah, KP is PCP-driven: if you can convince your doc, you're golden. I'll ask again tomorrow when I go in for yet another KP COVID test if they've changed their stance on asymptomatic testing for Hawaii. Maybe I'll even show them Hawaii's webpage
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by Erasmus
KP in SoCal is the same way, despite what Hawaii suggests. I haven't heard any further discussion regarding which (if any) of the trusted partners will do pediatric asymptomatic testing, either. Quest, at least in my area, will not do kids.
This is getting crazy. We will see how this plays out on October 15th. If it’s still a mess by November 15th. I will be canceling also. Disappointed.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 11:34 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aoconnor
Unbelievable that a week before this is set to start it's still a complete mess with no agreement among local governments. They've had 7 months to figure this out.

Does Ige not have final authority over this matter? He needs to be more assertive and set the ground rules. Maybe let the islands opt out entirely if they want, but not have their own rules or demand endless changes.
His ground rule was Mayors get to decide for their islands.

If he just worked with the mayors to establish a reopen date rather than spring a surprise that 10/15 was it before resolving interisland restrictions and developing a plan that allows residents to travel, there'd be a lot less friction to this issue.
JNelson113, opusx100 and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, lowly UA 1K; Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold; National EC, Hertz PC
Do you have to test through one of the testing partners? The FAQ are exceptionally vague on this. The first question make its seem like no (any authorized lab is okay) but the testing partner question make it seem like those are the only allowable sources. Does anyone know?
Old Oct 8, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Originally Posted by adambadam
Do you have to test through one of the testing partners? The FAQ are exceptionally vague on this. The first question make its seem like no (any authorized lab is okay) but the testing partner question make it seem like those are the only allowable sources. Does anyone know?
Nobody knows. As you point out, the "official" statements and materials keep going back and forth. Given the track record, until somebody actually arrives on 10/15 with a test from a CLIA non-partner and tries, we won't know for sure. Even then, I imagine it may very well be YMMV--lord knows that was certainly the case with test verification in Alaska when we visited in July.
adambadam likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
Regarding the question on how to get the Walgreen's test: I'm in the SF Bay Area. All I did was go to the Walgreen's website, and answered all the questions that came up. I answered truthfully, saying I had no symptoms, hadn't been around anyone contagious, etc, and it said I qualified for free testing, and I picked my time and date. I did all that last week Wednesday, and my test was this past Saturday, with results coming 2 days after that. I fly back to HNL on Oct 15. I went back to the Walgreen's website today, and it appears to only let you schedule a max of 3 days in advance. I'll try to schedule it on 10/10, to get tested on 10/13, for my flight on 10/15. That'll give me a 48 hour window. I'm still checking online to see when there's more info on the CVS Hawaii Covid testing scheduling, I can't find anything concrete.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 6:49 pm

If you test positive, I think you're already required to quarantine by the DOH.

They will certainly be some hiccups and adjustments that need to be made. It's not like 10,000 visitors are going to land on the islands in the first day or weeks starting 10/15. If you're an early adapter, things are likely to be confusing in the beginning.

-David
Old Oct 8, 2020, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
If you test positive, I think you're already required to quarantine by the DOH.
They will certainly be some hiccups and adjustments that need to be made.
-David
The most peculiar thing is the lieutenant governor said if someone tested positive in their second after-landing test, not only would they not need to quarantine, but Hawaii may not even let them know they tested positive unless they opted-in to receive such information.

No Quarantine for Positive 2nd Test Patients

The fact this latest second test idea is coming from a doctor shows just what a crazy show the "leaders" in Honolulu are putting on with regards to this whole testing scheme.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 7:35 pm

I understand Green's point (blind scientific statistics), but I don't agree with it, despite allowing the participant to opt-in to get a result. The public interest seems to mandate a notification and response for a positive result otherwise the result is potentially more community spread.

Green's point is they are doing the secondary test to statistically determine how many infected people are making it through the first 72 hour prior to departure test so they can adjust the program when it becomes necessary. I don't think that's a terrible plan but what is ethically correct when you find an asymptomatic positive test result? That's what it comes down to.

-David
Weatherboy likes this.

Last edited by LIH Prem; Oct 8, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Old Oct 8, 2020, 7:50 pm

Programs: AS 75K
From a statistics standpoint I understand the concept of not requiring them to quarantine since the whole point of the second test is to study the population. But I agree notifying people is probably the right thing to do (and likely why it's an option to get notified). An analogy I'd give is gathering data on how many people are speeding on a given stretch of freeway. Speeders are counted but not ticketed. And that's probably not even the best analogy but just one that came to mind.

I honestly don't care what the hell they do.... just figure something out!!!
JNelson113, Weatherboy and LAXOGG like this.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Another question is: If secondary test is "positive" and you immediately take another test that says "negative" (i.e. possible false positive), what's the adjudication process?

David
Old Oct 8, 2020, 9:26 pm

FYI: Just checked out Quest Diagnostic website, pretty simple. It’s $119.00 out of pocket, and you answer some questions. It’s close to where I live, so that should work. The turn around should be 1 or 2 days. Only, question I have would be age of minors for testing. Is there an age limit cutoff, or do all kids traveling with their parents need to be tested? Also, I think the price of this may deter people from going. A family of 5 would almost be $600.00.
Old Oct 8, 2020, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by Klxp2016
FYI: Just checked out Quest Diagnostic website, pretty simple. It’s $119.00 out of pocket, and you answer some questions. It’s close to where I live, so that should work. The turn around should be 1 or 2 days. Only, question I have would be age of minors for testing. Is there an age limit cutoff, or do all kids traveling with their parents need to be tested? Also, I think the price of this may deter people from going. A family of 5 would almost be $600.00.
Anyone over 5 years old must be tested. So if they're 4 years 11 months old, they're off the hook.

Not every testing entity will test people under 12.

Some good news if you want to go to Kauai; the mayor there has decided to opt into the pre-travel test quarantine program. But he put forth a proposal that would kill it if the number of COVID cases on the island grows to 5-8 over a 7 day period.

https://www.kitv.com/story/42743355/...-for-reopening

Originally Posted by adambadam
Josh Green today said that the test MUST be one of their partners and that a Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab will be rejected if it is not an official partner. He said they hope to update their website with this language soon.

He also said they rejected American Airlines and their testing partners. Why? I don't know. What the timeline is to remedy it? No one knows.

On another testing front, Maui submitted another proposal (their 2nd this week) for a post-landing test. The governor rejected it again this afternoon and said they must accept the single test or opt out. On Hawaii Island, a mayoral candidate is in support of Harry Kims multi-testing plan and wants to employ a 3-test program too. If the governor is rejecting Maui and Kauai's plans, I don't know how a 3-test program will get approved. But he is encouraging his supporters to support Kim's opting out, which will muddy the waters in the short term.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Oct 9, 2020 at 4:42 am Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Oct 9, 2020, 3:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by VTrain
According to the updated guidance today, NO you will not have to quarantine:

My flight transits in Honolulu and my final destination is another island. Will I show my QR code and information in Honolulu or when I arrive on the neighbor island?

Upon arrival into the Honolulu airport, you will show your QR code to the screener. Once your screening is complete at the Honolulu airport, you must now fill out another Safe Travels Program application. This will apply for your trip from the Honolulu airport to the neighbor island, which is your final destination. This also will be the process if you arrive at the Maui airport and transit to another island.

What happens if the inter-island travel quarantine is still in place?

If you have just a layover in Honolulu then the negative test result is good through to your final destination. If your break in Honolulu is more than a layover, then you are captured by the interisland quarantine.

https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel/#travel-FAQs
How long is a layover? My only reference point is the Anthony Bourdain series of that name which seemed to take the term layover to mean a long weekend. If they mean connection, this should be stated, although technically a connection requires a single ticket. Also, maximum connecting times are different for domestic versus international itineraries. Why not just state the scheduled time limit at HNL and maybe also clarify policy for cases when IROPs extends the time that must be spend at HNL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.