Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2020, 8:08 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Gold; NEXUS
The do-or-die date seems like it's actually going to be 10/15 for the sandwich tests. As I said upthread, I just don't see how this is going to be deemed acceptable by anyone that wants to vacation.

I wonder how much of this is motivated by actual fear of COVID spread vs. a push by locals on their politicians to keep tourists away from the islands as long as possible irrespective of risk. Business owners at least seem to be eager to get folks back: https://www.civilbeat.org/2020/08/ka...hout-tourists/
Old Oct 3, 2020, 8:58 am

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by Weatherboy

This leaves HNL as the only airport that has committed to the 10/15 pre-travel testing program.
Hello, can you provide a link to any statement that says KOA will not be accepting visitors on 10/15 via the pre-travel program?

Thanks
Old Oct 3, 2020, 10:20 am

Programs: TK *G, Spirit Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton HHonors Gold, Amex Plat, Chase SR
I am so confused about this "NAAT test from a certified CLIA lab" requirement. Has anyone found any options in the NYC area that will return results within 3 days?
Old Oct 3, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by tattikat2
Hello, can you provide a link to any statement that says KOA will not be accepting visitors on 10/15 via the pre-travel program?

Thanks
The poster to whom you refer rarely provides links to anything. I'll just stick to that fact without any further comment.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA GS
Originally Posted by 747FC
The poster to whom you refer rarely provides links to anything. I'll just stick to that fact without any further comment.
I tried to find supporting info and was unable to do so. That being said, it would not surprise me if Mayor Kim followed the lead of Kauai and Maui Counties if their post arrival testing procedures are adopted and enforceable.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 5:19 pm

Programs: AA-Plat
Originally Posted by LAXOGG
I tried to find supporting info and was unable to do so. That being said, it would not surprise me if Mayor Kim followed the lead of Kauai and Maui Counties if their post arrival testing procedures are adopted and enforceable.
This is the most recent proclamation from Mayor Kim. At this time, there is no reference to a negative test allowing visitors or returning residents to eliminate the quarantine but things change here on a daily basis. Our virus count today was up to 43 new cases.

https://www.hawaiicounty.gov/Home/Co.../News/2577/720
Old Oct 3, 2020, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The fact that nine months into this none of these people seem to know what's going on is a bigger deterrent to going to Hawaii than anything.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 7:31 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by mtofell

(amazing what can happen when the private sector is allowed to do their thing!).

i guess you don’t need an epi-pen or insulin where they charge over 1,000 time more than what they should charge.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 9:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by djp98374
i guess you don’t need an epi-pen or insulin where they charge over 1,000 time more than what they should charge.
We're not trying to solve global health care and drug price/availability here.... just trying to get into Hawaii. In the current context do you really want to defend the job the government has/is doing?
JNelson113, ksucats and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 9:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
We're not trying to solve global health care and drug price/availability here.... just trying to get into Hawaii. In the current context do you really want to defend the job the government has/is doing?
Haha good one. It’s all well and good to criticize pharma companies making money, until they can’t fund R&D, product pipelines run dry, and then whoopsie! 🤷‍♀️
JNelson113, ksucats and 747FC like this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: AA EP, United Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Green dismissed the sandwich testing that the mayors wanted:

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/1...fic-travelers/
Old Oct 5, 2020, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by VTrain

GOOD.
JNelson113, LETTERBOY and mtofell like this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 4:06 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by VTrain

So, does Ige have the final say? Or, can mayors enact policy in their own counties/islands?
Old Oct 5, 2020, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA EP, United Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
So, does Ige have the final say? Or, can mayors enact policy in their own counties/islands?
Reading between the lines (“if they want to make a recommendation (emphasis mine)... That’s between the mayors and the governor”) I think it’s Ige’s call and mayors can’t override.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 5:57 pm

Team Green! Go get em.
philemer and LETTERBOY like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.