Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2021, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by tphuang
Once you do the questionnaire, does the status remain "screened: no" until you get the pre-clearance wrist band? Just wanted to check if there is anything I should be worried about. I got my results, uploaded it to website, I did the questionnaire and status shows "screened: no".
Correct. The "screened" field stays red until either a Hawaii employee or airline employee checks things. Then it switches to green.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 2:21 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Question Hawaii, testing, and awkward timing

My wife and I are planned to be flying to Hawaii on July 7th. As you likely aware, July 4th is a holiday.

Our trip starts on the east coast. We need a test result by the time we depart to Hawaii, which will be on UA1141 around 7pm.

So I think we have two options:
  • Get the test on the 3rd at CVS and assume they come in not too early.
  • Get the test on the 5th at CVS and fingers crossed they come in by the time we get to LAX (although I imagine they'd ask for the result at check-in for the first leg)
Would love to know what you think the best option is. I am thinking it's the former.

Thanks!

I also just read that the PCR entry requirement ends on the 6th if you've been vaccinated.. isn't that just a tad convenient that we are leaving on the 7th.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 29, 2021 at 2:32 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 29, 2021, 2:34 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Originally Posted by aflyingperson
My wife and I are planned to be flying to Hawaii on July 7th. As you likely aware, July 4th is a holiday.

Our trip starts on the east coast. We need a test result by the time we depart to Hawaii, which will be on UA1141 around 7pm.

• Get the test on the 5th at CVS and fingers crossed they come in by the time we get to LAX (although I imagine they'd ask for the result at check-in for the first leg)
Would love to know what you think the best option is. I am thinking it's the former.

Thanks!
The holiday "counts" as a part of the 72 hour window so taking a test on July 3 will not be accepted in Hawaii. You will have to test on the 5th. Do you have a Walgreens in your area? If so, if they do the ID Now test, you will have results within a couple hours. That is by far your best bet to get a test before you start your trip.
Tanic likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT
I guess it's not going to be relevant for much longer (for those who are vaccinated, anyway), but the Hawaii website now seems to permit CLEAR HEALTH PASS for ALL flights, not just the one Delta/United flight. This is actually a HUGE improvement because CLEAR Health Pass can be used with a TON of testing providers.

https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
www.clearme.com/hawaii

This means that when you log into your Hawaii Safe Travels account, you can now get a quarantine exemption through CLEAR once you link your CLEAR health pass with your test result.

This will make it a ton easier, but only for the next week or so if you're vaccinated.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by aflyingperson

Thanks!

I also just read that the PCR entry requirement ends on the 6th if you've been vaccinated.. isn't that just a tad convenient that we are leaving on the 7th.
What city are you leaving from (you mention LAX but it sounds like you just have a connection there)? There are several rapid test options accepted by Hawaii, just need to know the city you need to test in to recommend one.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by h8stn4d
I guess it's not going to be relevant for much longer (for those who are vaccinated, anyway), but the Hawaii website now seems to permit CLEAR HEALTH PASS for ALL flights, not just the one Delta/United flight. This is actually a HUGE improvement because CLEAR Health Pass can be used with a TON of testing providers.

https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
www.clearme.com/hawaii

This means that when you log into your Hawaii Safe Travels account, you can now get a quarantine exemption through CLEAR once you link your CLEAR health pass with your test result.

This will make it a ton easier, but only for the next week or so if you're vaccinated.
I wonder if they will still hand out wristbands to bypass the lines upon arrival into Hawaii at airports with Clear TSA lines?
Old Jun 29, 2021, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I wonder if they will still hand out wristbands to bypass the lines upon arrival into Hawaii at airports with Clear TSA lines?
I wonder the same thing. Clear no longer talks about ambassadors handing out wristbands for DL480. I assume that if you're on a flight that preclears, you'll still get a wristband....but maybe no longer DL480, which is unfortunate.
MCO Flyer likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And if your layover is long enough at LAX, there is a rapid test facility right at the airport.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 5:33 pm

Programs: Platinum
Please ignore: didn't realize you're flying on the 7th. Sorry!

If you're vaccinated, you can upload your card to the State of Hawaii Safe Travels website: https://travel.hawaii.gov

Thread here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...-july-8th.html

Get a wrist band in LAX (location should be in United.com site)

(Thanks to lili23 )

Last edited by frankmu; Jun 29, 2021 at 5:36 pm Reason: wrong date
Old Jun 29, 2021, 6:38 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
The 72 hour clock starts at the time your sample is taken, not when you receive your test results. So, an appointment on the 3rd would not work.
Tanic, jdawg and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 8:40 pm

I wonder the same thing. Clear no longer talks about ambassadors handing out wristbands for DL480. I assume that if you're on a flight that preclears, you'll still get a wristband....but maybe no longer DL480, which is unfortunate.
Someone posted in the DL forum a few days back that they were able to get a wristband at LAX for DL480, but were told that the ambassadors don’t come to the gate anymore and they are given out at TSA CLEAR. I wonder if CLEAR will now give out wristbands for all Hawaii flights at the TSA CLEAR station? The CLEAR website now states that the airlines will give out wristbands but of course DL directly doesn’t give them out so it seems very confusing.
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 10:18 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Do you have a Walgreens in your area? If so, if they do the ID Now test, you will have results within a couple hours. That is by far your best bet to get a test before you start your trip.
Agreed. Walgreens ID Now test results were emailed back to me 25 minutes after swabbing in the drive thru lane. Couldn't have been more convenient. And it's free.

Make sure that the test is administered less than 72 hours before your published TPAC flight departure time.
Old Jun 29, 2021, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic
Agreed. Walgreens ID Now test results were emailed back to me 25 minutes after swabbing in the drive thru lane. Couldn't have been more convenient. And it's free.

Make sure that the test is administered less than 72 hours before your published TPAC flight departure time.
Just had the ID now test where the results took 24 hours to come back.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 7:39 am

Well I just sent CLEAR a message and they responded that the airlines are now responsible for handing out wristbands (which DL doesn’t give) so if flying on DL there is no way to get a wristband anymore to bypass the long lines upon arrival.
Old Jun 30, 2021, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, NWA WorldPerks deserter, Alaska Airlines Something-er-Other...
Flying SAN-LIH on Friday morning (July 2), and just got the Carbon quick test near San Diego Airport. When I uploaded the negative results, it says "Not Approved: Date Of Test Error". But my flight is well within 72 hours. Should I worry?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.