Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2021, 6:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Got it - do I just upload the same departure COVID test results for the ATL-HNL leg?
I just flew a few weeks ago from ATL-HNL and connected to HNL-KOA a few hours later so I will share my experience. You need to create 2 “trips” in Safe Travels, one for ATL-HNL (list “transit” as the reason for your visit and you won’t need to fill out lodging info for this segment) and then fill out another “trip” for your HNL-LNY flight in which you can list your lodging information and returning flight info. Once you get your test results back, upload the same test results under both trips (you will need to do a total of 2 uploads to Safe Travels) and a T-24 fill out both health questionnaires and you will get 2 QR code’s e-mailed to you. When you arrive in HNL, the screener will scan and clear your ATL-HNL QR code and will then ask if you have a connecting flight for your second QR code to scan/clear. Also I know you didn’t ask, but I would highly recommend the Walgreens “ID Now” rapid test that’s accepted by the State of Hawaii for your trip. You get the results back in 1-2 hours and the testing is completely free!
Old May 31, 2021, 6:52 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I just flew a few weeks ago from ATL-HNL and connected to HNL-KOA a few hours later so I will share my experience. You need to create 2 “trips” in Safe Travels, one for ATL-HNL (list “transit” as the reason for your visit and you won’t need to fill out lodging info for this segment) and then fill out another “trip” for your HNL-LNY flight in which you can list your lodging information and returning flight info. Once you get your test results back, upload the same test results under both trips (you will need to do a total of 2 uploads to Safe Travels) and a T-24 fill out both health questionnaires and you will get 2 QR code’s e-mailed to you. When you arrive in HNL, the screener will scan and clear your ATL-HNL QR code and will then ask if you have a connecting flight for your second QR code to scan/clear. Also I know you didn’t ask, but I would highly recommend the Walgreens “ID Now” rapid test that’s accepted by the State of Hawaii for your trip. You get the results back in 1-2 hours and the testing is completely free!

Thanks so much, I am going to look up the Walgreens now! I assume you got it in ATL?
Old May 31, 2021, 6:53 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Got it - do I just upload the same departure COVID test results for the ATL-HNL leg?
This is what your Safe Travels trip profile should look like after it’s filled out (with the exception of the green checkmarks as they won’t be shown until after you have been screened).

Thanks so much, I am going to look up the Walgreens now! I assume you got it in ATL?
I took the test here in Orlando but Walgreens is showing ATL location having it as well.

Old May 31, 2021, 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
I don't know which provider you tried for a backup appointment but I just looked at Clinical Labs of Hawaii's website for the Kahului location (they have other locations that are probably closer to where you're staying) and they had plenty of appointments available. Try to get an early morning appointment with them if you have a choice. But if you already have an appointment for the Rapid ID Now test at the main Kahului Walgreens, you should be fine.

-David
They do except for Saturday, which is the day I need in order to get a test within time window for a Tuesday flight. Only a couple of their locations have Saturday appointments and those were booked.

I don't have Walgreens yet because they only release appointments 3 days in advance e but I was able to get Minit Medical. They are v expensive but at least I have a confirmed appointment.

I would rather use Doctors on Call so if I am doing something wrong would love to know!
Old Jun 1, 2021, 3:18 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Where should I report for Wrist Band—Alaska Airlines?

Making my first West Coast to HNL flight next week on AS. Where in the airport is one’s COVID test results verified and one gets the wrist band? At the gate?

Many thanks.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 3:53 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by 747FC
Making my first West Coast to HNL flight next week on AS. Where in the airport is one’s COVID test results verified and one gets the wrist band? At the gate?

Many thanks.
What's your departing airport? SEA has a location near the ticketing desks specifically for Hawaii. Otherwise, you can get verified at the gate.
747FC likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 8:45 am

Originally Posted by Majuki
What's your departing airport? SEA has a location near the ticketing desks specifically for Hawaii. Otherwise, you can get verified at the gate.
SAN. Mahalo.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 10:56 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
SAN. Mahalo.
And don’t leave it too late no matter where you depart from. I flew back yesterday from SEA (got my wristband before I went to the lounge). I got to the gate right at the very end of boarding and there was still a line of about 30 people waiting to get their wristbands. A few seconds later, they announced that preclearance was closing, that those left in line would have to board immediately and that they would not get a wristband and would have to clear on arrival. A lot of very unhappy people.
747FC likes this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by Finkface
And don’t leave it too late no matter where you depart from. I flew back yesterday from SEA (got my wristband before I went to the lounge). I got to the gate right at the very end of boarding and there was still a line of about 30 people waiting to get their wristbands. A few seconds later, they announced that preclearance was closing, that those left in line would have to board immediately and that they would not get a wristband and would have to clear on arrival. A lot of very unhappy people.
Mahalo for the “pro” tip! Missing out on the band would really be a bummer.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 1:13 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Mahalo for the “pro” tip! Missing out on the band would really be a bummer.
Indeed. I was in F so first off and the line to be screened was already pretty long from a previous flight. I was happy to be waved straight out rather than into that line. I went from seat to curb where Mr. Fink was waiting to pick me up in less than 5 minutes.
LIH Prem and 747FC like this.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 2:25 pm
Community Director Emerita

SAN has one desk for all their Hawaii departures. It is between gate 21 and gate 22. You will need to pull up your results on your filled out form and log in while the agent looks at it.
Old Jun 1, 2021, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA, Some Others
Any thoughts on when safetravels in total will end. Seems like it's getting close to time. Mainland numbers are lowest in a year.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jun 4, 2021 at 3:54 am Reason: moved from Maui thread as SafeTravels is a statewide program
Old Jun 1, 2021, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by denver19
Any thoughts on when safetravels in total will end. Seems like it's getting close to time. Mainland numbers are lowest in a year.
most likely 1/15/22 based upon the fact mainland safe travels vaccination exception is still in the works
Old Jun 2, 2021, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
SAN has one desk for all their Hawaii departures. It is between gate 21 and gate 22. You will need to pull up your results on your filled out form and log in while the agent looks at it.
Thank you for this detailed info! When you say pull up the results on the form, are you referring to the QR code?
Old Jun 2, 2021, 2:01 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by denver19
Looking at how Ige has handled things to date, I don't think it will end anytime soon. I can see the possibility of it running throughout 2022 or beyond with vaccine exemptions in place for domestic and eventually international travelers. The local covid theater will be a distant memory with Big Island airports done and OGG done soon too, but I don't think Safe Travels will go anywhere anytime soon. Ige exits office 12/5/22, so maybe on 12/6/22 it goes away?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.