Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2021, 6:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dbears
all flights, car rental are booked. What do you think are her prospects for pulling this off?
Can't speak to Kauai, but in December it was a great time to visit Maui and the Big Island. There were a small number of closed business/restaurants, but almost everything was open, just with capacity restrictions and distancing. Tourist numbers were much lower than normal, so it's an ideal time to visit and feels very safe since most things in Hawaii are outdoors or half outdoors anyway.

There's still a lot of time for things to change between now and April, but it seems unlikely that by then the restrictions will be any more strict than they are now (though Kauai is a bit of a wildcard here; if it doesn't work out, Oahu could be a backup and doesn't require a pre-flight test for interisland arrivals.

Just make sure that they make reservations for all of their required tests in advance so they don't end up unable to get a test in time.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 10:29 pm
fMD

Originally Posted by mtofell
Interesting... I just went in and looked at my last flight from 1/11 and below my code it says "screened: yes" and "exempt: yes" so my earlier statement about exemptions wasn't accurate. I guess once your test results have been approved you are considered exempt which makes sense since at that point you are exempt from the quarantine. I had always thought exempt meant from the whole process.

Anyway, there has been a lot of discussion and some different experiences when people upload their test results. Some immediately say "approved" (or something similar - I can't remember exactly). Others do not get that message and it still says something about being processed. In both cases travelers have reported no problems so I think you should be fine. Most importantly, be sure you have a hard copy of your test results and that they are from an approved testing partner. As long as you have that and a QR code you should be fine. Once the QR code is issued you should be good.
Thanks! My partner and myself have "verification pending" on the website under our COVID tests. Sounds like we should be good as long as we bring the paper copy. Anyone have a negative experience with a similar situation?
mtofell likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 5:52 am

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by fMD
Thanks! My partner and myself have "verification pending" on the website under our COVID tests. Sounds like we should be good as long as we bring the paper copy. Anyone have a negative experience with a similar situation?
There are many comments around this thread and others. "Verification pending" doesn't hurt you. There are a few here that never cleared "verification pending", even weeks after completing their trip.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 11:00 am

Programs: Former UA GS, demoted to lowly 1K MM
Originally Posted by Dbears
My daughter and her husband have reservations in mid-April to stay in resorts in Maui, Big Island and Kauai in that order. Four days on each island. By my read of the current protocols, she and her husband will need negative rapid tests within 3 days of each flight and Kauai will be okay since it will be inter island travel. My questions:

Am I right that she can do this with just the “inconvenience “ of the test at St. Louis where they live, in Maui and Big Island? She won’t need a test in Kauai.

do you think this will change for better or worse between now and April?

how hard are rapid tests to get in Maui and Big Island? Any suggestions where to get tested?

What types of activities are no longer possible and what is open on those islands? How about restaurants?

she is a COVID nurse and contracted the virus in March along with her husband. She did’t have access to PPE at the time but worked through the first outbreak and dealing with it again. She has completed the vaccine but not him. Assume it doesn’t matter? She really needs this honeymoon

all flights, car rental are booked. What do you think are her prospects for pulling this off?

thanks in advance
While this itinerary may technically be possible, I strongly suggest skipping the island hopping on this trip. What is supposed to be a relaxing honeymoon would be largely consumed by going to test appointments, fretting about getting results back, and figuring out how to keep the Safe Travels app updated.

Even during "normal" times island hopping every few days takes away from the relaxation and enjoyment of a Hawaiian vacation, due to constant packing and unpacking, getting settled into new accommodations, and travel time and hassles. Throw Covid protocols on top of that, and there is just too much potential for a trip ruining hurdle.

Especially as a Covid nurse coming out of an incredibly difficult year, I have to imagine the last thing your daughter wants is to have Covid on her mind every minute of what should be an amazing time getting to relax with her new life partner.

Pick either Maui or the Big Island depending on which island best suits their lodging and activity interests, knock out the necessary testing and app hassles prior to departure, and then settle into a truly relaxing honeymoon. The other islands can always be visited on future trips for vow renewals!
Old Jan 24, 2021, 11:01 am

Programs: GS, 3 MM, Hilton Diamond
Under the current rules, you will not need a test in Kauai - you will only need a test on the big island within 72 hours of your flight to Kauai. Two weeks ago instead of quarantine on Kauai for three days, we traveled to Oahu, spend three nights in a hotel, tested after 72 hours and jumped on a flight to Kauai after the results because available (We used the Lumi Oahu City pass site to arrange for a test administered by the Kidney Foundation. Results came back within 5 hours. Only issue is we uploaded the result to the safe travels site but it did not change from red to green (negative test) until after the interview in the Kauai airport. We were near the front of the plane to Kauai and that saved a lot of time because we were one of the first to interview - others had much much longer wait.
Old Jan 24, 2021, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bikenski

Pick either Maui or the Big Island depending on which island best suits their lodging and activity interests, knock out the necessary testing and app hassles prior to departure, and then settle into a truly relaxing honeymoon. The other islands can always be visited on future trips for vow renewals!
I agree. And I'd go one step further and recommend the Big Island over Maui. There aren't as many restrictions, restaurants and bars are open with capacity constraints, and (hopefully for the economy's sake) you won't ever be able to experience empty resorts, beaches, and sites like this ever again.
Old Jan 25, 2021, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
GoHealth will schedule 30 days out, that's who I used and it was easy.
Are you using one of the GoHealth urgent care centers (versus the airport location)? Is that still good, or does it have to be the airport? How much do they charge?
Old Jan 26, 2021, 12:36 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Vaccine Exemption

The governor reiterated today that there will be no exemption from COVID rules for travel to Hawaii for those that are vaccinated until the CDC unveils such guidance. And with long term efficacy data still coming in, I can't imagine the CDC will have any such guidance for quite a while.
mtofell likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:12 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Hopefully a sense of reason will eventually come into play regarding vaccinated persons, especially with the LT Gov's medical background. There isn't a known virus that is transmissible from a person properly vaccinated for it. COVID would have to be completely different.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 11:43 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
COVID would have to be completely different.
I would say it’s different in terms of how contagious and deadly it is, so using typical reasoning is probably not wise.
BlueZebra likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 12:00 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Hopefully a sense of reason will eventually come into play regarding vaccinated persons, especially with the LT Gov's medical background. There isn't a known virus that is transmissible from a person properly vaccinated for it. COVID would have to be completely different.
I agree, but mRNA vaccines are brand new and could conceivably perform differently. Politicians and bureaucrats have every incentive to avoid creation of visible and voting victims of policy no matter how many invisible and non-voting victims are created by that policy. There will be a bandwagon of tourist destinations opening to vaccinated tourists. Hawaii will join that bandwagon but not lead it.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 9:35 pm

Doubt anything will happen until the CDC provides updated guidelines for vaccinated people.

-David
Old Jan 27, 2021, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Doppy
Are you using one of the GoHealth urgent care centers (versus the airport location)? Is that still good, or does it have to be the airport? How much do they charge?
Yes the Strawberry Village center, I have used now three times without problem. Per comments above have the results IN HAND upon arrival (which GoHealth will hand you after test) as the State web site you must upload them to in notoriously slow in approve them. Last two times I had to show them the hard copy of the results and they approved me with a glance. I have been getting the test for free through my insurance and also the trips are business related so my work would cover it anyway but I don't know the price without insurance coverage. Good luck I test again on Friday and leave for KOA on Saturday AM. Hoping for no hiccups but anything these days is possible.
nnn likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 10:41 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
Hawaii island post arrival test

Is the island of Hawaii still doing the post arrival COVID test? The latest I read was that it was scheduled to be in place through January 15, but didn't see any update. Thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2021, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nomad420
Yes the Strawberry Village center, I have used now three times without problem. Per comments above have the results IN HAND upon arrival (which GoHealth will hand you after test) as the State web site you must upload them to in notoriously slow in approve them. Last two times I had to show them the hard copy of the results and they approved me with a glance. I have been getting the test for free through my insurance and also the trips are business related so my work would cover it anyway but I don't know the price without insurance coverage. Good luck I test again on Friday and leave for KOA on Saturday AM. Hoping for no hiccups but anything these days is possible.
Do they provide an electronic copy of the results as well? Haven't had any trouble with the system reading PDFs instantly from other providers in my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.