Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2020, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by DELee
State of HI getting better at generating more cases: Hawaiʻi COVID-19 Updates For July 29th: New Record, Over 100 Cases

David
In fairness someone told me we had some delayed tests because of the hurricane that results finally came in, bringing the average inline with normal days. Second hand info so take it with a monster grain of salt.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
As we can see everywhere (except maybe Iceland) the virus will come and go in waves - even in countries that formerly had success. Hawaii "objective" measure for re-opening is as ambiguous as CA Governor's criteria for re-opening schools. In short, it won't happen absent mass civil disobedience or pressure from big business. In CA there is no pressure because the tech companies can all function without offices and the big retailers are allowed to stay open. I guess HI tourism industry has no juice with the Governor so they're gonna end up like Puerto Rico soon - nobody working, massive poverty except for the retirees.
nnn likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 10:42 pm

I just listened to that Mayor Victorino reversing privileges on Maui interview, and it was disappointing. I’ve been to Maui once, and had planned on going back this year with my family, but everything got shut down, resorts and all due to COVID. This man did not sound like he was in a hurry to open the island up to anyone in the near future. I forgot how layed back Maui was, and you could tell it in his voice. He sounded like there was no hurry or reason to open up now, until a vaccine has been proven to be effective. To be fair Hawaii is far from the mainland and if something should go left there, it would potentially wipe out a population. This is why the strategy should be to get more supplies, equipment, and man power resources in alliance with Kaiser permanente. At some point we gotta reverse this mentality of closing, hiding, and not figuring a solution to this problem. Stopping tourism, and inter-island travel is not a solution Governor/Mayor. Mask, distancing, and preparation within hospitals is a good start. 14 day quarantines are stupid. First of all the airlines should not even fly to the islands if it’s that serious, but they do. Therefore, open the islands up to mainland states that are not hotspots. Make some tourist money. Also, what’s the plan for Thanksgiving through New Years when all the rich people hit the beaches, will the islands be open then or closed. If they are closed, that will be a lot of lost revenue, tips, etc. Anyway, I wish the best for Hawaii. It’s a great place. I only hope that the people in power think more about the people they are affecting than the power they now have to control them.
nnn likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 8:47 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Lt. Governor Josh Green says most ICU beds are being used now and he and the president of Oahu's largest hospital groups believe hospitals will be maxed out and overrun by COVID patients within 1-2 weeks, thereby crsshing the healthcare system.

So in addition to killing the economy in March, they have not done anything over the last 5 months to prepare (or prevent) for this day.

If crashing the state's healthcare system was inevitable, they should have left tourism alone. At least we'd have money to work through the crisis. Instead we're knee deep in crisis and broke.

Hawaiipublicradio: Hospital CEO Warns Hawaii On Track To Exceed Health System Capacity.
https://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/po...ystem-capacity
Boraxo, DJ_Iceman, ksucats and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Lt. Governor Josh Green says most ICU beds are being used now and he and the president of Oahu's largest hospital groups believe hospitals will be maxed out and overrun by COVID patients within 1-2 weeks, thereby crsshing the healthcare system.

So in addition to killing the economy in March, they have not done anything over the last 5 months to prepare (or prevent) for this day.

If crashing the state's healthcare system was inevitable, they should have left tourism alone. At least we'd have money to work through the crisis. Instead we're knee deep in crisis and broke.

Hawaiipublicradio: Hospital CEO Warns Hawaii On Track To Exceed Health System Capacity.
https://www.hawaiipublicradio.org/po...ystem-capacity
You do realize that no one could have "left tourism alone?" Certainly you have seen what is happening all around the country and world--people are choosing not to get on an airplane, dine in restaurants, or go to hotels. Economic policy is not driving our revenue problems, but behavioral psychology (self-preservation).

Hawaii is not alone in wanting to avoid COVID-19 infestation: Have you looked at the number of countries which prohibit Americans from traveling to them? If anything, Hawaii is in step with the world, not an outlier as you depict.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by 747FC
You do realize that no one could have "left tourism alone?" Certainly you have seen what is happening all around the country and world--people are choosing not to get on an airplane, dine in restaurants, or go to hotels. Economic policy is not driving our revenue problems, but behavioral psychology (self-preservation).

Hawaii is not alone in wanting to avoid COVID-19 infestation: Have you looked at the number of countries which prohibit Americans from traveling to them? If anything, Hawaii is in step with the world, not an outlier as you depict.
1. So long as there are humans on a land mass or even an island that has some connection to the modern world, there's no "wanting" to avoid CV-19. It will and already has spread.

2. Prohibit all you want - Americans, New Yorkans, Californians, etc. - someone else will bring it with them.

3. As Weatherboy is pointing out, avoidance of the problem is not and will not help Hawaiians going forward. Hoping is a poor substitute for planning and executing the plan to address how to cope with CV-19 in the modern world.

As is being shown with the current tests, the virus and its mutation strains are propagating in and amongst the islands, tourists or no tourists. It would have been better to be thinking ahead and be ready for this spread.

Even the 14 day quarantines for visitors isn't doing much at this point WRT the community sharing.

David
nnn, ksucats, LETTERBOY and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 11:38 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
That doesn't follow. If people were going to stay away from HI with or without the "travel ban" (let's just call it that), then why institute a travel ban to begin with? Why have these belabored discussions about whether to lift the ban? Why not just lift it?

I agree that there are some mainlanders who will not be getting on a plane to HI even if they could. But there are also a lot of mainlanders who will be flying to HI as soon as they are given the chance. That is who is being kept out by the ban. The ban is meaningful.

Sure, but are those other countries that keep Americans out as heavily dependent on American tourism as HI seems to be? It seems to me that a number of other countries that need American tourism are tending to do what they can to open up, with precautions to avoid the spread of Covid. HI does not seem to be motivated to do so. It seems like certain segments of Hawaii's population are more than content with the status quo, even if it comes at the economic expense of others.
ksucats and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 12:43 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
1. So long as there are humans on a land mass or even an island that has some connection to the modern world, there's no "wanting" to avoid CV-19. It will and already has spread.

2. Prohibit all you want - Americans, New Yorkans, Californians, etc. - someone else will bring it with them.

3. As Weatherboy is pointing out, avoidance of the problem is not and will not help Hawaiians going forward. Hoping is a poor substitute for planning and executing the plan to address how to cope with CV-19 in the modern world.

As is being shown with the current tests, the virus and its mutation strains are propagating in and amongst the islands, tourists or no tourists. It would have been better to be thinking ahead and be ready for this spread.

Even the 14 day quarantines for visitors isn't doing much at this point WRT the community sharing.

David

So it can't be stopped, just let it spread because it's going to spread anyways?
Old Aug 6, 2020, 12:48 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by exp
So it can't be stopped, just let it spread because it's going to spread anyways?
That is precisely my reaction. I fail to understand the notion “well...everyone’s going to get it anyway.” My friend from AZ says that, and we know how they’re doing.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 1:03 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by exp
Or....how about strict enforcement of masks and distancing?
Old Aug 6, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by exp
The "let it spread" approach was what Sweden tried, and the results were that were a greater percentage of Sweden got infected than their neighbors and Sweden was not spared negative economic impact.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/b...ronavirus.html
Old Aug 6, 2020, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by denver19
That chart is hugely telling: We have absolutely trashed the Hawaiian economy for 25 total deaths in 5 months, 4 deaths under the age of 60. Meanwhile in Hawaii:

3,000 people die each year from heart disease,
2,500 people die each year from Cancer,
Hundreds die from Flu and pneumonia,
500 in accidents, 300 suicides (going to rise in 2020).

But those deaths don't seem to matter. All that matters is that we shatter the economy to prevent more Covid. Yes, Covid needs to be dealt with. But not in this insane manner that we are trying in Hawai'i. In the 5 months that this has been going on, has Mayor Victorino, of Gov Ige done anything (ANYTHING) substantial, to increase our preparedness?
Aren't you damning yourself for your success?
Old Aug 6, 2020, 3:24 pm
formerly wunderpit

Originally Posted by nnn
Or....how about strict enforcement of masks and distancing?
I don’t think that some of locals are down with that. A friend that lives in Waikiki sent a video within the last 2 months of a bunch of local gathering at the beach. No one had masks on. Amazing.
nnn likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by exp
I didn't say just let it spread. I said - manage it since it is already here, there and everywhere humans are. I also said: hoping is not managing.

Or, if hoping is your primary mode of coping and managing, I'd say that the Hawaiian Islands are going to be in poor shape as it continues to spread within its local population.

Oh, wait - it is spreading. But the state and county government did nothing except that hope and a 14-day quarantine would keep CV-19 at bay and didn't prepare for what's happening now.

David
ksucats and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 4:54 pm
formerly wunderpit

I didn't say just let it spread. I said - manage it since it is already here, there and everywhere humans are. I also said: hoping is not managing.

Or, if hoping is your primary mode of coping and managing, I'd say that the Hawaiian Islands are going to be in poor shape as it continues to spread within its local population.

Oh, wait - it is spreading. But the state and county government did nothing except that hope and a 14-day quarantine would keep CV-19 at bay and didn't prepare for what's happening now.

David
i’m not sure if this is what you’re implying, but do you think the people that arrived on the island with a 14 day quarantine is the reason for the current spread?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.