Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Old May 9, 2020, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by wco81
https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/tr...-travel-forms/

Anyone know how their quarantine works?

You have to stay 2 weeks so you'd have to book accommodations for 2 weeks before the days you plan to visit?

So a 1-week visit becomes a 3-week booking?
You don't HAVE to stay 2 weeks. The quarantine is for 14 days OR the entirety of your stay. Once in Hawaii you are allowed to travel from the airport to your hotel. You can only leave to seek medical attention or to go directly back to the airport. They are largely putting enforcement of guests on hotels. As for residents it's much tougher and I suspect there is very little enforcement taking place.

I agree about the current residents not being very welcoming. I traveled over to my 2nd home on the islands in March a couple weeks before the quarantine started and caught some pretty major hell on FB from some friends of friends who live full-time on the island. Apparently, they felt I didn't have a right to travel to the property I own. I understand people being careful and wanting to protect the islands but last time I checked HI is part of the USA and there was no restrictions from the government at the time. Some of this has been less than a good look from the island that promises to practice "ohana."
Old May 9, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat - some level of status in IHG, Marriot & HIlton
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes

Plus, if you spend any time on Hawaii travel forums, it won't take long for you to feel the hostility to visitors. There was an article posted about one family having it's tires slashed on their rental car. Some residents are actually making thinly veiled threats to potentially visitors, basically saying they're "taking matters in their own hand" and officials are looking the other way when they do, so come at your own risk type of vibe.
Originally Posted by mtofell
I agree about the current residents not being very welcoming. I traveled over to my 2nd home on the islands in March a couple weeks before the quarantine started and caught some pretty major hell on FB from some friends of friends who live full-time on the island. Apparently, they felt I didn't have a right to travel to the property I own. I understand people being careful and wanting to protect the islands but last time I checked HI is part of the USA and there was no restrictions from the government at the time. Some of this has been less than a good look from the island that promises to practice "ohana."
I am picking up some of the hostility towards visitors you are mentioning on the other message boards. It is really disappointing. I can't believe that some want to kill the tourism that badly. Seems to me that it would be absolutely devastating for the entire state. Oh well. I am going to hold onto my late July trip for at least another month. If their attitude doesn't get better towards us and they don't open up the state to tourism (without quarantine), I will cancel. If I cancel this one, then they will get their wish and we will never come back. We can enjoy many islands in the Caribbean for much less and they are much easier to get to and can be just as enjoyable (or more).
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by cmtlatitudes
But until then, or until restrictions are lifted, yes, three weeks for the one week of vacation. Assuming restaurants, pools, beaches, will be open for even the one week. They may not be depending when you travel. Plus, if you spend any time on Hawaii travel forums, it won't take long for you to feel the hostility to visitors. There was an article posted about one family having it's tires slashed on their rental car. Some residents are actually making thinly veiled threats to potentially visitors, basically saying they're "taking matters in their own hand" and officials are looking the other way when they do, so come at your own risk type of vibe.

Lots of other states and US territories being much more civil, with a much more welcoming and emphatic tone to visitors - even those that also have current 14 day quarantines themselves. I've pretty much decided to take the 25K-35K I spend in Hawaii every year for a 2-3 week vacation someplace else. Even though everything is likely to be lifted in September when I normally visit. The message and tone coming out of those forums is so negative and hateful, it just makes me want to spend my hard earned vacation dollars someplace else.
But how long are restaurants and other services which depend on the tourism trade going to survive?

Or the vacation condos, presumably those people still have to pay mortgages, maybe a management company, utilities.

Let's see how long the natives remain hostile as tourist money dries up. Are there many stores and restaurants which can survive only with resident clientele?
Boraxo likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 4:21 pm

But how long are restaurants and other services which depend on the tourism trade going to survive?

Or the vacation condos, presumably those people still have to pay mortgages, maybe a management company, utilities.

Let's see how long the natives remain hostile as tourist money dries up. Are there many stores and restaurants which can survive only with resident clientele?
Exactly. And the stuff that I am sure many natives enjoy like golf courses. How much tourism tax $ goes towards maintaining beaches (I honestly don't know if it is $0 or a lot)? Same question for roads.
Old May 9, 2020, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K

Originally Posted by ksucats
Exactly. And the stuff that I am sure many natives enjoy like golf courses. How much tourism tax $ goes towards maintaining beaches (I honestly don't know if it is $0 or a lot)? Same question for roads.
Naw. Their view: We got paradise and there's an inexhaustible supply of spendy tourists. Just gotta figure out how to get their money without getting COVID-19...

David
ksucats likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
A quick web search reveals that these questions are addressed on the state's official quarantine registration website.

While there is no clear published figure for the number of tourists visiting the state right now (official government figures only describe "visitors", which includes, for example, essential workers travelling to maintain hospital equipment, for example, and temporarily-stationed military personnel), some in Hawaii are convinced that there are too many tourists still visiting the state and that too many of those tourists are not following quarantine regulations. Oft-repeated news stories about a small number of tourists who flout the rules no doubt reinforce these perceptions.

Therefore, some are advocating for increased enforcement of the quarantine regulations, despite a lack of verifiable and quantifiable evidence showing how many tourists are actually arriving, and despite a lack of verifiable and quantifiable evidence showing that evasion of the regulations is actually widespread (if anyone has access to this kind of data, please post it below, because I'd be interested to know about it).

As a result, yes, you should expect that visiting Hawaii for non-essential purposes is going to be difficult right now. I'm sure all states feel that it's within their rights to take the measures they need to protect their residents from the virus, and I can certainly understand that perspective.

The result of the quarantine regulations, in any case, including the few evasive tourists who have been reported in the news, is that Hawaii has the lowest virus infection rate in the US. What Hawaii is doing is working sensationally well to stop the virus (which again calls into question the need for increasing quarantine enforcement even more). The state's efforts to stop the virus have been a success from a virus-stopping standpoint.

Now, whether or not you consider this result to be good or bad, given the economic effect, is a different matter…
Old May 9, 2020, 7:42 pm

The mandatory quarantine is for 14 days or the length of your stay if less than 14 days. You have to have accommodations booked for the length of your stay. Not sure if they just check for 14 days if your stay is longer than 14 days.

I'm not sure exactly what you would do if you came here now, even after you do your 14-day quarantine.

After the mandatory quarantine you still have to abide by the "safer at home" rules. Right now that means beaches are open for active exercise but not for lounging on a blanket in the sand for example. Pools are still closed. And typical activities are all closed for now. Some of those rules may be relaxed soon but they haven't been relaxed yet. Some low risk businesses will be opening soon, depending on which island you're on. Monday for Maui. May 15 for Oahu. Open on Kauai and Hawaii island.)

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; May 9, 2020 at 8:12 pm
Old May 9, 2020, 7:49 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Oahu does rely on tourism dollars, and the state of Hawaii has around a 1.5 billion dollar shortfall due to decreased accommodation taxes (tourist dollars) and general excise taxes. Tourism does generate significant revenue for the state. There will be significant cuts to state funded programs, and they are discussing that now.

Even as a Hawaii resident, I would recommend using your hard earned dollars for a vacation at a destination that actually wants to welcome you, and that destination is not Hawaii currently. Due to the restrictive rules, Hawaii won't be a tourist destination until the 14 day quarantine has been lifted. Based on the current response from the State of Hawaii, they don't really care if local business fail, residents have jobs, or provide a clear guidance for the future of Hawaii. Don't bring your hard earned dollars to a poorly managed state, which in turn, only rewards the same folks that caused such poor management.
Boraxo and ksucats like this.
Old May 9, 2020, 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by wchinchen
Oahu does rely on tourism dollars, and the state of Hawaii has around a 1.5 billion dollar shortfall due to decreased accommodation taxes (tourist dollars) and general excise taxes. Tourism does generate significant revenue for the state. There will be significant cuts to state funded programs, and they are discussing that now.

Even as a Hawaii resident, I would recommend using your hard earned dollars for a vacation at a destination that actually wants to welcome you, and that destination is not Hawaii currently. Due to the restrictive rules, Hawaii won't be a tourist destination until the 14 day quarantine has been lifted. Based on the current response from the State of Hawaii, they don't really care if local business fail, residents have jobs, or provide a clear guidance for the future of Hawaii. Don't bring your hard earned dollars to a poorly managed state, which in turn, only rewards the same folks that caused such poor management.
Thanks. Yeah, I have been researching places in Florida and South Carolina that will give me a similar vacation. We are just looking for a place with a pool where we can walk to a nice beach. Was hoping to throw in a luau as well.
Old May 9, 2020, 8:01 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
  • Originally Posted by ksucats
    Thanks. Yeah, I have been reserching places in Florida and South Carolina that will give me a similar vacation. We are just looking for a place with a pool where we can walk to a nice beach. Was hoping to throw in a luau as well.

I would highly recommend St. Joseph's Peninsula State Park in Florida. The beach park has giant sand dunes and also seashells that are bigger than any other Florida beach that I have been to.
ksucats likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 10:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
We'd love to vacation in Maui this summer but if they don't want us then it's 100% their loss. I can just as easily spend my $$$$ elsewhere. Nevada is already re-opening restaurants and stores, and I expect other states to follow. Florida is even farther ahead. And of course there is no shortage of beaches in California that will take me less time to reach. Food is also cheaper just about everywhere else too. Not gonna bother me to see all the overpriced restaurants in Lahaina file Chapter 7. Mahalo!
ksucats likes this.
Old May 9, 2020, 10:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Thanks. Yeah, I have been researching places in Florida and South Carolina that will give me a similar vacation. We are just looking for a place with a pool where we can walk to a nice beach. Was hoping to throw in a luau as well.
- With no international travel I would jump on a plane and go to Hawaii but only if 14 day quarantine is lifted. But for now it is North and South Carolina that would be getting my money.
ksucats likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 12:10 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Boraxo
We'd love to vacation in Maui this summer but if they don't want us then it's 100% their loss. I can just as easily spend my $$$$ elsewhere. Nevada is already re-opening restaurants and stores, and I expect other states to follow. Florida is even farther ahead. And of course there is no shortage of beaches in California that will take me less time to reach. Food is also cheaper just about everywhere else too. Not gonna bother me to see all the overpriced restaurants in Lahaina file Chapter 7. Mahalo!
We want you!!! I own two units in a condo here in Maui and am devastated by the current state of things. Realize when you write-off Hawaii the government notices about 10% as much as the private citizens. Please keep us in mind when things are allowed to get back to normal
ExpatExp and Ford Fairlane like this.
Old May 10, 2020, 8:27 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by mtofell
We want you!!! I own two units in a condo here in Maui and am devastated by the current state of things. Realize when you write-off Hawaii the government notices about 10% as much as the private citizens. Please keep us in mind when things are allowed to get back to normal
Speaking for my family, we'd love to get to Hawaii ASAP. Hoping that somehow there's a way to go later this summer.
mtofell likes this.
Old May 10, 2020, 8:31 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Don't want to go OT in the Hawaii forum, but the Florida keys definitely have that island feel that I love about Hawaii. At the same time, Hawaii is unparalleled, at least in the US. Hoping we can all go soon, safely.
ksucats likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.