Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2020, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

quarentine honolulu: what happens to my belongings ?

what happens to my carry on belongings if I fly to Honolulu in 2 weeks ? thanks
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:25 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
The question cannot be answered because it is not known what the situation will be in Honolulu two weeks from now.

As of today, Saturday the 21st at 1 pm HST, there isn't any mandatory quarantine for arriving passengers. In any case, it's highly unlikely that people will be separated from their luggage (carry-on and checked) if there was any sort of shelter-in-place order.

At the risk of sounding unkind, please do not visit Hawaii right now. The Governor of the State of Hawaii has publicly stated that all non-residents should not visit Hawaii for the next 30 days and there is a large focus on shutting down businesses, restaurants, and many tourist attractions. One of the larger hotels in Waikiki has temporarily shut down as well to discourage visitors from arriving and staying. There are a finite number of health facilities in the state and if you fall ill during your trip, you will be a burden and be using up resources that could aid and assist residents.
Tanic and TWA884 like this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:26 pm

Programs: AS 75K
If you're referring to the 14 day quarantine, that is just a rumor floated out by the deputy governor who really has no power. A lot of the locals are pushing for it but I think it's unlikely to happen. VERY difficult to enforce plus they've waited too long as there are thousands of people who have already gotten in the islands. I've read that they will be greatly expanding testing on the islands shortly which seems to be the most critical part of this whole puzzle.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Bottom line is that your bags go with you. Quarantine or not. They are your responsibility once they hit the luggage carousel.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Exclamation State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

All visitors/residents arriving in Hawaii beginning Mar 26 must undertake a mandatory 14 day quarantine -

I recommend all residents to get back asap - and all visitors cancel/reschedule.

I expect most to near all commercial flying to Hawaii to grind to a halt beginning Mar 26 unless they can make money with cargo
Old Mar 21, 2020, 8:21 pm

Programs: FB Silver, BA Gold; BW Diamond Select, Hilton Diamond
This should improve my chances of getting a refund rather than a voucher. My travel is on 4/1 so still waiting to call HA. However, this will probably further overload the call center, sigh.

Thanks for the update.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:05 pm

Nothing like getting out ahead of things..... IF they are going to do this it should have been done 1-2 weeks ago. Also, what is with the 5 day warning? Almost as if to say, "hurry up and make your plans and get here while you can."
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by mtofell
Nothing like getting out ahead of things..... IF they are going to do this it should have been done 1-2 weeks ago. Also, what is with the 5 day warning? Almost as if to say, "hurry up and make your plans and get here while you can."
It’s certainly not fair to spring this on travelers with no notice. 5 days is a reasonable compromise.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:51 pm

What exactly is the enforcement mechanism here? Will cops be doing profiling to figure out which person walking outside might be a tourist? Basically stop and frisk based on suspicion that this person walking on the beach might be a tourist?

Let's say I'm a tourist in Hawaii for 20 days, I need to carry some papers to prove that I'm now allowed to walk outside?

I don't mind the rule, but the exact enforcement should be clarified otherwise it is going to cause confusion and discrimination.

​​​
Old Mar 21, 2020, 9:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
It’s basically a legal way to shut down tourism for a bit. The state can’t block people from coming but it can make coming really impractical. God help our economy. I hope it ends up being worth it but I suspect the horse left the barn a while ago.
747FC likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
It’s certainly not fair to spring this on travelers with no notice. 5 days is a reasonable compromise.
The other states have given little or no warning about, "shelter in place" and all the other things related to this. The general position of the government seems to be, "stop the spread fast no matter how inconvenient it is for citizens." I guess my point is I don't think the governments in other places have given much thought to "fairness". I agree that it would be tough for there not to be a warning about this Hawaii quarantine but if the intent is to stop the spread of the disease, their action is pretty lame. I personally think it's too little too late anyway but we'll see. I feel like the governor is finally just caving to pressure to do something.

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
What exactly is the enforcement mechanism here? Will cops be doing profiling to figure out which person walking outside might be a tourist? Basically stop and frisk based on suspicion that this person walking on the beach might be a tourist?

Let's say I'm a tourist in Hawaii for 20 days, I need to carry some papers to prove that I'm now allowed to walk outside?

I don't mind the rule, but the exact enforcement should be clarified otherwise it is going to cause confusion and discrimination.

​​​
The most logical way would be to register people at the airport as they are getting off planes. Then do spot checks on the address where they are supposed to be quarantined. The 5K fine makes me think there will be very little enforcement but they want to scare people and send a message to the few they do bust.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 22, 2020 at 2:02 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:41 pm

It’s not a rumor, it will be effective as of Thursday. Visitors will be responsible for costs associated with the quarantine.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...-spread-virus/

Last edited by otomik; Mar 21, 2020 at 10:48 pm
Old Mar 21, 2020, 10:41 pm

Exclamation COVID-19 - Mandatory 14-Day Quarantine for All Arrivals to Hawaii (Eff. 3/26/2020)

CORRECTION: Effective Thursday/26th.

On Saturday/21st, Gov. David Ige ordered residents and visitors returning to Hawaii to undergo a 14-day self-quarantine starting Thursday/26th. The end date of requiring quarantines is indefinite. Hawaiian Airlines will significantly reduce domestic and international flights beginning on Wed/25th.

From the newspaper:
The Director of the Hawai‘i Emergency Management Agency (HIEMA) hereby orders you to comply with the following:
1. Proceed directly from the airport to your designated quarantine location, which is the location identified and affirmed by you on the mandatory State of Hawai‘i Department of Agriculture Plants and Animals Declaration Form.
a. If you are a resident, your designated quarantine location is your residence.
b. If you are a visitor, your designated quarantine location is your hotel room or rented lodging.

2. Remain in your designated quarantine location for a period of 14 days or the duration of your stay in the State of Hawai‘i, whichever is shorter.
a. You may leave your designated quarantine location only for medical emergencies or to seek medical care.

3. Do not visit any public spaces, including but not limited to pools, meeting rooms, fitness centers or restaurants.

4. Do not allow visitors in or out of your designated quarantine location other than a physician, healthcare provider, or individual authorized to enter the designated quarantine location by the Director of HIEMA.

5. Comply with any and all rules or protocols related to your quarantine as set forth by your hotel or rented lodging

I read this in the Star Advertiser newspaper.

Last edited by slippahs; Mar 21, 2020 at 11:58 pm
Old Mar 21, 2020, 11:26 pm
azj

Originally Posted by nomiiiii

​​​
As described in the press conference, violation of this quarantine will be a misdemeanor and subject to $5k fine and/or year in jail. All arriving residents will be expected to quarantine at home and visitors in their planned place of lodging. Upon arrival, there will be individual checks of ID and registration when one turns in their agriculture form. The press conference did not mention what would happen for international arrivals, though obviously those visitors are already tracked upon arrival.

That said... now it will sure be interesting to see how it's implemented and tracked. With HAL shrinking dramatically in anticipation, I suspect the numbers of arrivals will dwindle to even less than what is happening today. I suspect the other carriers to follow suit in cutbacks, which until now, have mostly avoided Hawaii as the schedules were slashed.

Last edited by azj; Mar 22, 2020 at 10:55 am
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:32 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 22, 2020 at 4:47 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.