Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2020, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
The thread on when will Hawaii re-open for tourism itself needs to be reopened.
Completed as requested.
Old Jul 9, 2020, 9:20 pm

https://www.civilbeat.org/2020/07/co...back-tourists/

County Mayors To Ige: We’re Not Ready To Welcome Back Tourists

0With new surges of COVID-19 cases in key states and a sudden disruption in Hawaii’s testing capacity, most of Hawaii’s county mayors want the state to rethink its planned Aug. 1 tourism reopening date.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jul 9, 2020 at 9:34 pm
Old Jul 9, 2020, 9:27 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
What are the plans to open to the Asian markets? Also Australia and NZ?
Old Jul 9, 2020, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
https://www.civilbeat.org/2020/07/co...back-tourists/

County Mayors To Ige: We’re Not Ready To Welcome Back Tourists

With new surges of COVID-19 cases in key states and a sudden disruption in Hawaii’s testing capacity, most of Hawaii’s county mayors want the state to rethink its planned Aug. 1 tourism reopening date.
-David
***<implosion sound>***

To HI leadership: so, when do you _think_ you might be "ready"?

David
Boraxo likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by DELee
***<implosion sound>***

To HI leadership: so, when do you _think_ you might be "ready"?

David
Final decision to be made today according to the Star Advertiser. The Gov and mayors wanted to sleep on it and then meet again today. My guess is it will be extended again to mid Aug or Sept. 1st.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Ige and Green did nothing to bolster hospital capacity over all of these months. Instead they were just hoping mainland numbers would go down low enough to welcome guests. Now because hospital space is so tight, especially ICU beds and ventilators, the state is screwed. 52% of ICU beds are being used now even though there's so little infection in the state!

And shame on the state for not stockpiling testing reagents in the lull. Its crazy they let that golden opportunity of the state shut down down to do nothing.
nnn and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ige and Green did nothing to bolster hospital capacity over all of these months. Instead they were just hoping mainland numbers would go down low enough to welcome guests. Now because hospital space is so tight, especially ICU beds and ventilators, the state is screwed. 52% of ICU beds are being used now even though there's so little infection in the state!

And shame on the state for not stockpiling testing reagents in the lull. Its crazy they let that golden opportunity of the state shut down down to do nothing.
Yup.

Originally Posted by DELee
Hoping <for the best> is not planning and executing.

David
Good luck to the residents and state of HI. Actually, I'll take that back - luck has nothing to do with it.

You're going to need help. Especially with the Governor and other HI leadership that are currently in place. But that's your problem to address - not mine.

David
nnn and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by cmculp
Currently shedding detectable virus is an Ag test (PCR) no matter the Ab result. That is what will make or break you prior to travel.
though most experts think these persistent shedders are non-infectious.
Pretty hard to believe and would love to see some data on this. But I still believe if Hawaii were to be strict about a neg pcr test prior to entry that would go miles toward controlling the situation on the Islands. Visitors could enter and you could be relatively certain of low risk of transfer of virus. We all know by now that there are false negative tests but nothing is perfect. For now this is best we have.
nnn likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, quarantine or not, more folks keep coming...(BIVN)

David
Old Jul 10, 2020, 7:59 pm
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
So are all the visitors quarantining?

Where are they coming from?
Old Jul 10, 2020, 8:45 pm

CD is prepared to quickly build 200 bed temporary hospitals on the spot as needed. I have no idea where they would get the staff to operate them, which is also not just a Hawaii problem. During the initial outbreak they were able to get retired doctors and nurse volunteers to help.

The testing issue is not just a Hawaii issue.

Everybody here is frustrated and it's easy to express that, but the state is in a unique position with very low infection rates however a growing case load every day again. We could debate the merits of re-opening the state to visitors and infections, but it's been mostly a political debate here. I'm not a huge fan of the administration but I understand that it's a balancing act at this point, and nobody is going to be satisfied whichever way they go.

Let's at least try to get the facts right and keep politics out of it.

-David
hawaii-bound, ExpatExp and DCAhome like this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 9:13 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
How can there still be no decision? Amazing.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 9:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
CD is prepared to quickly build 200 bed temporary hospitals on the spot as needed. I have no idea where they would get the staff to operate them, which is also not just a Hawaii problem. During the initial outbreak they were able to get retired doctors and nurse volunteers to help.

The testing issue is not just a Hawaii issue.

Everybody here is frustrated and it's easy to express that, but the state is in a unique position with very low infection rates however a growing case load every day again. We could debate the merits of re-opening the state to visitors and infections, but it's been mostly a political debate here. I'm not a huge fan of the administration but I understand that it's a balancing act at this point, and nobody is going to be satisfied whichever way they go.

Let's at least try to get the facts right and keep politics out of it.

-David
I’m curious how unemployment above 50% will be for Ige and the Mayors. There isn’t a magical unlimited pot of gold to make ends meet. We aren’t at that number yet, but it will come soon with the lack of decisions they have made. Politics is front and center at this point, aside from the dozen or so that take pleasure in pigeon responses on Facebook.
denver19 likes this.
Old Jul 10, 2020, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
I’m curious how unemployment above 50% will be for Ige and the Mayors.
It won't be good for anybody, just like an uncontrolled spike in the infection rate here won't be good for anybody either. Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

People are already leaving the island, this is what happens during economic downturns. Eventually they come back, slowly, when conditions improve. But ... this is unprecedented.

I believe that conditions everywhere are not going to return to normal until there's a vaccine widely available. At this moment, I'm not planning on traveling anywhere until then. Hopefully that happens sooner rather than later.

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jul 10, 2020 at 10:38 pm
Old Jul 10, 2020, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
It won't be good for anybody, just like an uncontrolled spike in the infection rate here won't be good for anybody either. Damned if they do and damned if they don't.

People are already leaving the island, this is what happens during economic downturns. Eventually they come back, slowly, when conditions improve. But ... this is unprecedented.

I believe that conditions everywhere are not going to return to normal until there's a vaccine widely available. At this moment, I'm not planning on traveling anywhere until then. Hopefully that happens sooner rather than later.

-David
I Don’t eat out often, but another is going under. The staff cried, which made me cry.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.