Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2020, 7:45 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Based on what the Governor said today, no one should act surprised if the testing waivers for August 1 were delayed or outright canceled as the 14-day quarantine continues indefinitely. I feel bad for people investing time and money into trips to Hawaii ...with the possibility they won't be able to enjoy that travel in the 11th hour.
What did he say? Can you provide a link? SA doesn't quote him addressing 14-day...
Old Jul 7, 2020, 7:50 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by 747FC
What did he say? Can you provide a link? SA doesn't quote him addressing 14-day...
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...increase-ever/
Weatherboy and 747FC like this.
Old Jul 7, 2020, 9:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by zd1
This website has what seems to be updated information on how pre-arrival testing will work beginning August 1. What I found most interesting is that it says the type of test required has changed from a PCR to an NAAT test. I'm unsure if this is the official word or not -- the official Hawaii.gov website still hasn't been updated since June 30.

It seems can't post links yet, but the new information is on the GoHawaii website under "Special Alerts"
I'm trying to research what a PCR vs a NAAT would be and from what I can see, a PCR is a specific subset of NAAT (so all PCRs are NAATs but not all NAATs are PCRs). This is from wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt I guess. Maybe they've actually made the test-type requirement more broad?
nnn likes this.

Last edited by mag_nate; Jul 7, 2020 at 9:48 pm Reason: sorry... quoted the wrong post!
Old Jul 8, 2020, 9:30 am

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
Based on what the Governor said today, no one should act surprised if the testing waivers for August 1 were delayed or outright canceled as the 14-day quarantine continues indefinitely. I feel bad for people investing time and money into trips to Hawaii ...with the possibility they won't be able to enjoy that travel in the 11th hour.
That would be a business catastrophe; so I suppose it will happen. Here is quarantining as it now works:

2,000 people arrive from the mainland in a day (rounded number),
600 are military and family and they don't quarantine.
500 are returning locals, they quarantine, but their housemates do not, so...
200 are essential workers who do not quarantine,
700 are visitors that have a mandated 14 day quarantine.
That, is a bucket with some obvious holes in it. So, while the quarantine has absolutely strangled the economy, something like 2/3rds of arrivals aren't even asked to quarantine.

Tourism isn't rushing back in August. It may trickle back. By testing, and encouraging visitors with tests, we may avoid financial devastation. Governor Ige was in the news projecting shortfalls that would impact public employee jobs. That, combined with PPP, the end of the $600 unemployment bump, and the 40% unemployed in Maui who no longer have health insurance (there is a real trifecta; lose your job, your health insurance, and suffer a pandemic), this really needs to be thought through.
JNelson113, nnn, ksucats and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:15 am
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by zd1
This website has what seems to be updated information on how pre-arrival testing will work beginning August 1. What I found most interesting is that it says the type of test required has changed from a PCR to an NAAT test. I'm unsure if this is the official word or not -- the official Hawaii.gov website still hasn't been updated since June 30.

It seems can't post links yet, but the new information is on the GoHawaii website under "Special Alerts"
Thanks. There is no mention on that site of what happens if you do not get back your test results in time. Currently, it suggests that you will be subject to a 14-day quarantine as you would not be able to present evidence of the negative test on arrival. Given the increasing delays for test results, that seems like a very likely scenario for many folks. What are you supposed to do if your flight boarding time is approaching and you still haven't received your test result?

Hopefully they can work out some system for a shorter quarantine until your test results come back, with verification by the hotel or something. Otherwise, either the entire plan will be pointless, or they will have a lot of angry travelers. I wouldn't mind holing up at the FS for a day or so, if it meant enjoying the rest of my trip.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by zd1
(Physician here....) - in non-clinical terms, this broadens the permissive testing to include all common methods for detecting virus (as opposed to testing for antibodies against it). It’s a good change.

eventually, antibody testing is likely to have its place too..... as in once positive, nothing else required.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:34 am
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by nnn
Thanks. There is no mention on that site of what happens if you do not get back your test results in time. Currently, it suggests that you will be subject to a 14-day quarantine as you would not be able to present evidence of the negative test on arrival. Given the increasing delays for test results, that seems like a very likely scenario for many folks. What are you supposed to do if your flight boarding time is approaching and you still haven't received your test result?

Hopefully they can work out some system for a shorter quarantine until your test results come back, with verification by the hotel or something. Otherwise, either the entire plan will be pointless, or they will have a lot of angry travelers. I wouldn't mind holing up at the FS for a day or so, if it meant enjoying the rest of my trip.
I think this is the whole point, in that Hawaii only wants travelers who can show they have a negative test result, otherwise it is a 14 day quarantine until negative results arrive. My worry is, what tourists do if you have a positive result and start becoming sick while already in Hawaii.

Based on previous discussions, the State of Hawaii doesn't want to be responsible to test people. The rate of incoming tourists will be limited by the feasibility of obtaining a test, and getting results. As for how many tourists want to jump through the hoop to do so, we shall see come August 1st. As for how many tourists want to come and disregard the quarantine rules, we shall see too.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by cmculp
(Physician here....) - in non-clinical terms, this broadens the permissive testing to include all common methods for detecting virus (as opposed to testing for antibodies against it). It’s a good change.

eventually, antibody testing is likely to have its place too..... as in once positive, nothing else required.
Hate to ask, but don't you need to administer both an antibody test (positive or negative) and a PCR test (negative) to confirm that a) an individual doesn't currently have CV-19 and b) even if they test positive for an antibody response?

David
Old Jul 8, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by nnn

Lt. Governor Josh Green discussed this in a live interview on KGMB just now. Sounds like they will probably be open to “leniency” for test results that are delayed. That said, he mentioned that it is possible a delay of Aug. 1 is being discussed, with random dates thrown out such as Aug. 15 or Sept. 1. They have a major meeting this afternoon with the Mayors, but I don’t know if we will know anything by this evening or later in the week.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Lt. Governor Josh Green discussed this in a live interview on KGMB just now. Sounds like they will probably be open to “leniency” for test results that are delayed. That said, he mentioned that it is possible a delay of Aug. 1 is being discussed, with random dates thrown out such as Aug. 15 or Sept. 1. They have a major meeting this afternoon with the Mayors, but I don’t know if we will know anything by this evening or later in the week.
I remember Josh Green saying before, if you don't have a negative test, you can "call" when you receive it, and get sprung from jail.

Random dates; oy. A plan please. I heard today that Merriman's is never going to re-open. Maui (and Hawaii) is on precarious ground. Unemployment, uninsured, can't pay the rent, businesses closing and so the formerly employed will have to move back to the mainland. You cannot just keep raising GET rates and TAT rates: 15% of nothing is nothing.

We should be increasing our ability to deal with patients, inviting tested tourists, 2/3rds of the arrivals should not just bypass quarantine or testing because it is politically expedient. This isn't just rich white guys, with shut down businesses anymore that are feeling the pain. In 3 weeks the unemployment bump ends. Ige is talking about the need to furlough or lay off state and local employees. Maui High School grads with no (zero) local opportunity going to the mainland. Forget college grads on the mainland returning. Families with multiple bread winners to cover costs losing ALL there jobs. Teachers, fireman, police, all looking at cuts. Maybe you can close the road to Hana for years...

I know its super that "Shark Pit" and "Pools" aren't crowded. But this is getting real. Random dates and shifting "re-openings" are a death blow.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by denver19
I remember Josh Green saying before, if you don't have a negative test, you can "call" when you receive it, and get sprung from jail.

Random dates; oy. A plan please. I heard today that Merriman's is never going to re-open. Maui (and Hawaii) is on precarious ground. Unemployment, uninsured, can't pay the rent, businesses closing and so the formerly employed will have to move back to the mainland. You cannot just keep raising GET rates and TAT rates: 15% of nothing is nothing.

We should be increasing our ability to deal with patients, inviting tested tourists, 2/3rds of the arrivals should not just bypass quarantine or testing because it is politically expedient. This isn't just rich white guys, with shut down businesses anymore that are feeling the pain. In 3 weeks the unemployment bump ends. Ige is talking about the need to furlough or lay off state and local employees. Maui High School grads with no (zero) local opportunity going to the mainland. Forget college grads on the mainland returning. Families with multiple bread winners to cover costs losing ALL there jobs. Teachers, fireman, police, all looking at cuts. Maybe you can close the road to Hana for years...

I know its super that "Shark Pit" and "Pools" aren't crowded. But this is getting real. Random dates and shifting "re-openings" are a death blow.
We all empathize with the plight of those economically impacted by this pandemic, however opening up without pandemic control has not been shown to have either an economic or health benefit. See:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/b...e=articleShare

The study compares Sweden and its neighbors, Sweden opting to make few or no changes in population behavior, while its neighbors instituted tight controls. Here is one quote in the article:

"This is what has happened: Not only have thousands more people died than in neighboring countries that imposed lockdowns, but Sweden’s economy has fared little better."

“They literally gained nothing,” said Jacob F. Kirkegaard, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington. “It’s a self-inflicted wound, and they have no economic gains.”

So, what should Hawaii do, open up and try to create more jobs? In theory, sure. In practice, a higher rate of COVID-19 will lead to more deaths and the same terrible economic picture.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:28 pm

We all empathize with the plight of those economically impacted by this pandemic, however opening up without pandemic control has not been shown to have either an economic or health benefit. See:..........snip........

So, what should Hawaii do, open up and try to create more jobs? In theory, sure. In practice, a higher rate of COVID-19 will lead to more deaths and the same terrible economic picture.
Well, I mentioned in my post: Hawaii should have been enhancing its ability to deal with patients, through expansion of hospital facilities and re-purposing state and local facilities; the MAC comes to mind, over the last 3 months. We should be running a quarantine that quarantines all travelers; not just those that don't vote here in the islands. We should be testing and tracing, and inviting tested visitors. There are 100 ways to prepare, none of which include random dates and on again, off again quarantines.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Basically, the reality is that the adage that applies to everything else right now applies here: nothing is stable, things can change any time, don't count on any announcements made more than 1-2 days out.

I'll be sticking to flexible driving trips for now. Hope things stabilize a bit in the coming months.
Old Jul 8, 2020, 1:43 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by wchinchen
I think this is the whole point, in that Hawaii only wants travelers who can show they have a negative test result, otherwise it is a 14 day quarantine until negative results arrive. My worry is, what tourists do if you have a positive result and start becoming sick while already in Hawaii.
But if it is literally impossible to guarantee test results on the mainland within 72 hours, then the "point" of the plan is ultimately pointless as virtually nobody will be able to make plans to visit Hawaii. Why bother opening at all? Luckily, it sounds like the government is preparing to allow "jailbreak" once delayed test results come back, which makes sense.

We all empathize with the plight of those economically impacted by this pandemic, however opening up without pandemic control has not been shown to have either an economic or health benefit. See:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/07/b...e=articleShare

The study compares Sweden and its neighbors, Sweden opting to make few or no changes in population behavior, while its neighbors instituted tight controls. Here is one quote in the article:

"This is what has happened: Not only have thousands more people died than in neighboring countries that imposed lockdowns, but Sweden’s economy has fared little better."

“They literally gained nothing,” said Jacob F. Kirkegaard, a senior fellow at the Peterson Institute for International Economics in Washington. “It’s a self-inflicted wound, and they have no economic gains.”

But the rest of the country is facing the same issue, and having to deal with it -- is Hawaii special? So that folks living in HI don't have to worry about social distancing and taking other precautions like the rest of us are forced to do? Here in SF we are doing just fine abiding by the rules, if you look at our Covid numbers (they are low).
Old Jul 8, 2020, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by nnn
But if it is literally impossible to guarantee test results on the mainland within 72 hours, then the "point" of the plan is ultimately pointless as virtually nobody will be able to make plans to visit Hawaii. Why bother opening at all? Luckily, it sounds like the government is preparing to allow "jailbreak" once delayed test results come back, which makes sense.

But the rest of the country is facing the same issue, and having to deal with it -- is Hawaii special? So that folks living in HI don't have to worry about social distancing and taking other precautions like the rest of us are forced to do? Here in SF we are doing just fine abiding by the rules, if you look at our Covid numbers (they are low).
In case my point was not clear: Strict social distancing, mask wearing, testing, quarantines, etc are the best way to keep the balance between Population health And wealth. Sweden is the model for how not to do it. Hawaii’s economy will not improve without strict pandemic controls.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.