Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2020, 9:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
it’s pretty easy and you will get used to it. Each car has a variety of masks in it depending on my preference, so far I only catch crap when I wear my Denver Broncos mask, all in good fun of course.
My wife has gone hog-wild on masks. We have a gazillion.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 1:04 am

Hawaii Lifts 14 Day Quarantine Eff August 1 for Pax w/no Covid

Gov. David Ige green-lighted a passenger testing program today that would allow passengers starting Aug. 1 with approved negative COVID-19 tests to bypass the state’s mandatory 14-day self-quarantine for out-of state passengers. The out-of-state quarantine, which is in effect through July 31 and is expected to be extended, will continue to apply to passengers who do not produce a negative COVID-19 test.

Full story: https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...vel-to-hawaii/
Old Jun 25, 2020, 4:04 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Mahalo for sharing this; however, we have decidedto concentrate all discussion in the existing thread: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...-1-2020-a.html

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
slippahs likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I know it’s probably still too early for details but does anyone have any idea if this will work similarly for people from other countries like Canada? We do not have CVS drug stores in Toronto and I am unaware of any drug stores doing private covid testing yet
Old Jun 25, 2020, 9:02 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Of course this announcement comes just after I dumped my Aug AS tickets into KOA. But still happy to hear about this change in policy and will be heading back to the Islands ASAP in Aug. If I can even leave as early as 8/1 but many details still to be worked out. Will be watching for further updates and details. Great news!!
Old Jun 25, 2020, 11:05 am

Programs: AA-Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
Of course this announcement comes just after I dumped my Aug AS tickets into KOA. But still happy to hear about this change in policy and will be heading back to the Islands ASAP in Aug. If I can even leave as early as 8/1 but many details still to be worked out. Will be watching for further updates and details. Great news!!
Not sure how many airlines will resume flying non-stop into KOA in August. Currently Delta is the only carrier with a flight LAX-KOA. All other carriers are going through HNL.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by hawaii-bound
Not sure how many airlines will resume flying non-stop into KOA in August. Currently Delta is the only carrier with a flight LAX-KOA. All other carriers are going through HNL.
Looks like United and AA are anticipated to operate non-stops from SFO and LAX, respectively, to KOA in July (may not be daily). We'll see if this schedule sticks.

Also, added a snippet to the wiki of the Governor's press release on the 8/1 arrivals exemption that contains a little more detail. Interesting that HI will not be testing at the airport like Alaska.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 11:57 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by slippahs
Interesting that HI will not be testing at the airport like Alaska.
Probably about the number of visitors to HI vs. AK. Might just be too overwhelming to do at the airport.

I agree, good news on this update!
Old Jun 25, 2020, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by JNelson113
Probably about the number of visitors to HI vs. AK. Might just be too overwhelming to do at the airport.
Good point. Josh Green had made some musings earlier this month about testing every 20th passenger or something like that. Time will tell what type of pent up demand there is for travel to the islands and whether we see visitor arrival numbers at a measurable higher fraction than what we've seen in the past.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: AS, US, Hilton, BA, DL, SPG, AA, VS
Originally Posted by Robbo1
I know it’s probably still too early for details but does anyone have any idea if this will work similarly for people from other countries like Canada? We do not have CVS drug stores in Toronto and I am unaware of any drug stores doing private covid testing yet
The US-Canada border is still closed, isn't it?
Old Jun 25, 2020, 12:05 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by hawaii-bound
Pretty sure AS has flight (not daily) into KOA from at least OAK. I had one booked in July and then again in Aug (cancelled those trips). Don't know if they were dropped but already also bought November tickets with non-stop into KOA as well. Also WN has a few non-stops out of OAK at least on the books for now.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 12:13 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
The land crossings were and remain closed but air travel has always been permitted I believe. Subject to having to quarantine on arrival of course
Old Jun 25, 2020, 12:20 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
The land crossings were and remain closed but air travel has always been permitted I believe. Subject to having to quarantine on arrival of course
Air travel from Canada to the US is permitted. Not from the US to Canada, other for Canadian citizens/PRs or for essential travel.

I am hoping the wrinkles get ironed out otherwise I will have to build in a night in SEA to get a CVS test as we have none in Canada. Hopefully they will allow Canadian CDC test results.
Old Jun 25, 2020, 1:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
The US-Canada border is still closed, isn't it?
Fortunately, the US-Canada border has not been closed, and the land crossings have not been closed either, at least not in the last few decades nor as a whole. I believe some news outlets may have been using the word "closed" to mean "open and subject to additional restrictions", which has led to some confusion.

The border is open. There are some virus-related restrictions about who is permitted to cross the border, and the restrictions are different depending on how you cross the border and in which direction you are going. There are some FT threads about this, in case anyone is considering a visit to or from Canada.

Originally Posted by Finkface
Air travel from Canada to the US is permitted. Not from the US to Canada, other for Canadian citizens/PRs or for essential travel.
Yes, that seems to be my interpretation also. To put it another way, the border is not closed and has not been closed, the land borders have always been open and continue to be open, there are restrictions about the types of crossings that are permitted, air travel in both directions has always been and continues to be possible for those who meet the requirements, and the requirements in each direction are different. That's a mouthful!

Last edited by ExpatExp; Jun 25, 2020 at 2:03 pm
Old Jun 25, 2020, 2:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by denver19
Hoo hah! Not perfect, but a reasonable step. Im heading to OGG in early July; I'll quarantine. But this may work. And there is pent up demand for people to head to Hawaii.

I just got off the phone with a friend who said "da hui is gonna be pissed". And I think he is right; this silly quarantine, which obviously can be avoided with testing, was mostly politicians pandering to a base. Now, with the economics looking so bleak (the end of PPP, unemployment benefits grinding to a halt, the economic report suggesting that state workers would have to be furloughed). So now we test; which could have been done all along.
I don't blame the Hawaii governor for being on the safe side when some tests have been reported to have high false negatives. It takes time to understand the disease and the agents designed against it. Hopefully tests are more accurate now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.