FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2013922-state-hawaii-safe-travels-program-5-day-quarantine-ends-march-25-2022-a.html)

qmuddy3 Mar 21, 2020 1:44 pm

quarentine honolulu: what happens to my belongings ?

what happens to my carry on belongings if I fly to Honolulu in 2 weeks ? thanks

FlyinHawaiian Mar 21, 2020 5:25 pm

The question cannot be answered because it is not known what the situation will be in Honolulu two weeks from now.

As of today, Saturday the 21st at 1 pm HST, there isn't any mandatory quarantine for arriving passengers. In any case, it's highly unlikely that people will be separated from their luggage (carry-on and checked) if there was any sort of shelter-in-place order.

At the risk of sounding unkind, please do not visit Hawaii right now. The Governor of the State of Hawaii has publicly stated that all non-residents should not visit Hawaii for the next 30 days and there is a large focus on shutting down businesses, restaurants, and many tourist attractions. One of the larger hotels in Waikiki has temporarily shut down as well to discourage visitors from arriving and staying. There are a finite number of health facilities in the state and if you fall ill during your trip, you will be a burden and be using up resources that could aid and assist residents.

mtofell Mar 21, 2020 5:26 pm

If you're referring to the 14 day quarantine, that is just a rumor floated out by the deputy governor who really has no power. A lot of the locals are pushing for it but I think it's unlikely to happen. VERY difficult to enforce plus they've waited too long as there are thousands of people who have already gotten in the islands. I've read that they will be greatly expanding testing on the islands shortly which seems to be the most critical part of this whole puzzle.

Often1 Mar 21, 2020 5:43 pm

Bottom line is that your bags go with you. Quarantine or not. They are your responsibility once they hit the luggage carousel.

HNLbasedFlyer Mar 21, 2020 7:32 pm

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

All visitors/residents arriving in Hawaii beginning Mar 26 must undertake a mandatory 14 day quarantine -

I recommend all residents to get back asap - and all visitors cancel/reschedule.

I expect most to near all commercial flying to Hawaii to grind to a halt beginning Mar 26 unless they can make money with cargo

smf_ltn Mar 21, 2020 8:21 pm

This should improve my chances of getting a refund rather than a voucher. My travel is on 4/1 so still waiting to call HA. However, this will probably further overload the call center, sigh.

Thanks for the update.

mtofell Mar 21, 2020 9:05 pm

Nothing like getting out ahead of things..... IF they are going to do this it should have been done 1-2 weeks ago. Also, what is with the 5 day warning? Almost as if to say, "hurry up and make your plans and get here while you can."

Jaimito Cartero Mar 21, 2020 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell (Post 32217014)
Nothing like getting out ahead of things..... IF they are going to do this it should have been done 1-2 weeks ago. Also, what is with the 5 day warning? Almost as if to say, "hurry up and make your plans and get here while you can."

It’s certainly not fair to spring this on travelers with no notice. 5 days is a reasonable compromise.

nomiiiii Mar 21, 2020 9:51 pm

What exactly is the enforcement mechanism here? Will cops be doing profiling to figure out which person walking outside might be a tourist? Basically stop and frisk based on suspicion that this person walking on the beach might be a tourist?

Let's say I'm a tourist in Hawaii for 20 days, I need to carry some papers to prove that I'm now allowed to walk outside?

I don't mind the rule, but the exact enforcement should be clarified otherwise it is going to cause confusion and discrimination.

​​​

WrightHI Mar 21, 2020 9:52 pm

It’s basically a legal way to shut down tourism for a bit. The state can’t block people from coming but it can make coming really impractical. God help our economy. I hope it ends up being worth it but I suspect the horse left the barn a while ago.

mtofell Mar 21, 2020 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero (Post 32217030)
It’s certainly not fair to spring this on travelers with no notice. 5 days is a reasonable compromise.

The other states have given little or no warning about, "shelter in place" and all the other things related to this. The general position of the government seems to be, "stop the spread fast no matter how inconvenient it is for citizens." I guess my point is I don't think the governments in other places have given much thought to "fairness". I agree that it would be tough for there not to be a warning about this Hawaii quarantine but if the intent is to stop the spread of the disease, their action is pretty lame. I personally think it's too little too late anyway but we'll see. I feel like the governor is finally just caving to pressure to do something.

Originally Posted by nomiiiii (Post 32217107)
What exactly is the enforcement mechanism here? Will cops be doing profiling to figure out which person walking outside might be a tourist? Basically stop and frisk based on suspicion that this person walking on the beach might be a tourist?

Let's say I'm a tourist in Hawaii for 20 days, I need to carry some papers to prove that I'm now allowed to walk outside?

I don't mind the rule, but the exact enforcement should be clarified otherwise it is going to cause confusion and discrimination.

​​​

The most logical way would be to register people at the airport as they are getting off planes. Then do spot checks on the address where they are supposed to be quarantined. The 5K fine makes me think there will be very little enforcement but they want to scare people and send a message to the few they do bust.

otomik Mar 21, 2020 10:41 pm

It’s not a rumor, it will be effective as of Thursday. Visitors will be responsible for costs associated with the quarantine.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...-spread-virus/

HawaiiCalls Mar 21, 2020 10:41 pm

COVID-19 - Mandatory 14-Day Quarantine for All Arrivals to Hawaii (Eff. 3/26/2020)

CORRECTION: Effective Thursday/26th.

On Saturday/21st, Gov. David Ige ordered residents and visitors returning to Hawaii to undergo a 14-day self-quarantine starting Thursday/26th. The end date of requiring quarantines is indefinite. Hawaiian Airlines will significantly reduce domestic and international flights beginning on Wed/25th.

From the newspaper:
The Director of the Hawai‘i Emergency Management Agency (HIEMA) hereby orders you to comply with the following:
1. Proceed directly from the airport to your designated quarantine location, which is the location identified and affirmed by you on the mandatory State of Hawai‘i Department of Agriculture Plants and Animals Declaration Form.
a. If you are a resident, your designated quarantine location is your residence.
b. If you are a visitor, your designated quarantine location is your hotel room or rented lodging.

2. Remain in your designated quarantine location for a period of 14 days or the duration of your stay in the State of Hawai‘i, whichever is shorter.
a. You may leave your designated quarantine location only for medical emergencies or to seek medical care.

3. Do not visit any public spaces, including but not limited to pools, meeting rooms, fitness centers or restaurants.

4. Do not allow visitors in or out of your designated quarantine location other than a physician, healthcare provider, or individual authorized to enter the designated quarantine location by the Director of HIEMA.

5. Comply with any and all rules or protocols related to your quarantine as set forth by your hotel or rented lodging

I read this in the Star Advertiser newspaper.

azj Mar 21, 2020 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii (Post 32217107)

​​​

As described in the press conference, violation of this quarantine will be a misdemeanor and subject to $5k fine and/or year in jail. All arriving residents will be expected to quarantine at home and visitors in their planned place of lodging. Upon arrival, there will be individual checks of ID and registration when one turns in their agriculture form. The press conference did not mention what would happen for international arrivals, though obviously those visitors are already tracked upon arrival.

That said... now it will sure be interesting to see how it's implemented and tracked. With HAL shrinking dramatically in anticipation, I suspect the numbers of arrivals will dwindle to even less than what is happening today. I suspect the other carriers to follow suit in cutbacks, which until now, have mostly avoided Hawaii as the schedules were slashed.

FlyinHawaiian Mar 22, 2020 4:32 am

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...075f5abca1.jpg