Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: Watergate
So what I'm reading is that I should book one night at the FS Oahu and then regret to inform them that I'm required by law to stay in the room for another 13 days
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:40 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Read closer; "Remain in your designated quarantine location for a period of 14 days or the duration of your stay in the State of Hawai‘i, whichever is shorter."

Also, all the resorts at Ko Olina, including the Four Seasons, are temporarily closing starting on March 24.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...close-tuesday/
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
I expect most to near all commercial flying to Hawaii to grind to a halt beginning Mar 26 unless they can make money with cargo
Presumably Hawaii needs air cargo capacity even more than the rest of the US. AA has been flying cargo-only flights on some other routes recently. I wonder if something similar might happen on Hawaiian routes.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 5:13 pm

So you get off the plane, go straight to the hotel. Stay in your room and pay for the room and room services meal for for 14 days. After 14 days, if you have no fever, you are free to visit the rest of the hotel (pool, hot tub, etc..) and Hawaii. So to answer OP's question, your belongings come with you to the hotel if you still decided to go...
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA*G, NW, AA-G. WR-P, HH-G, IHG-S, ALL. TT-GE.
How are they going to enforce this for transit passengers? Specifically, international/Guam-to-domestic passengers who are dumped landside to re-clear TSA.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Presumably Hawaii needs air cargo capacity even more than the rest of the US. AA has been flying cargo-only flights on some other routes recently. I wonder if something similar might happen on Hawaiian routes.
Hawaii has plenty of air cargo from Fed Ex, UPS and other large cargo only operators with 747's - with much of it perishable food. By the far, the bulk of Hawaii's cargo comes via shipping. If the cargo business is that lucrative, I'd expect the planes that are designed to ship only cargo to pick up more business. If United can pick up that much cargo - more power to them, but I don't see nor have heard Hawaii has a reliance on commercial airline cargo.

Who knows though - there are currently 5 nonstops from SFO to HNL on Monday Mar 30, despite what will be a 14 day quarantine, beaches closed, and they just ordered shelter in place on Oahu. Maybe they do have enough cargo.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 8:05 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by smf_ltn
This should improve my chances of getting a refund rather than a voucher. My travel is on 4/1 so still waiting to call HA. However, this will probably further overload the call center, sigh.

Thanks for the update.
I've been awaiting/hoping HA cancelling my 3/28 LAS flight, hoping that helps with a refund. Please let us know what HA does for you.

Originally Posted by azj
As described in the press conference, violation of this quarantine will be a misdemeanor and subject to $5k fine and/or year in jail.
I am not a criminal defense attorney or prosecutor, but the Hawaii Revised Statutes say that the top penalty for a misdemeanor is $2K

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscu..._0706-0640.htm

Not sure where the $5K that the government announced is coming from...

Last edited by slippahs; Mar 23, 2020 at 12:08 pm Reason: combining multiple posts
Old Mar 23, 2020, 10:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by qmuddy3
what happens to my carry on belongings if I fly to Honolulu in 2 weeks ? thanks
They stay with you. Unless you are a resident, do you really think it's a good time to visit Hawaii? Almost everything will be shut, you'd have to spend two weeks in quarantine, and there may be limited healthcare options for you.
747FC likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Hawaii has plenty of air cargo from Fed Ex, UPS and other large cargo only operators with 747's - with much of it perishable food. By the far, the bulk of Hawaii's cargo comes via shipping. If the cargo business is that lucrative, I'd expect the planes that are designed to ship only cargo to pick up more business. If United can pick up that much cargo - more power to them, but I don't see nor have heard Hawaii has a reliance on commercial airline cargo.

Who knows though - there are currently 5 nonstops from SFO to HNL on Monday Mar 30, despite what will be a 14 day quarantine, beaches closed, and they just ordered shelter in place on Oahu. Maybe they do have enough cargo.
United is cancelling many of the 737s scheduled to operate as the day draws nearer I’d be surprised if all 5 nonstops operate on Monday.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by slippahs
United is cancelling many of the 737s scheduled to operate as the day draws nearer I’d be surprised if all 5 nonstops operate on Monday.
I'd also be surprised if United operates any Hawaii flights after this week.

Hawaiian is only flying 1 daily LAX-HNL flight starting Thursday - all other mainland flights are being suspended. If they have cargo flights, then they won't be with passengers on them.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:02 pm

I was planning on camping out in the outdoors so this threw a wrench in avoiding people. Not sure how they're going to enforce the situation where one has no lodging booked. This mandate most likely is to deter anyone coming.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 6:16 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by dragond
I was planning on camping out in the outdoors so this threw a wrench in avoiding people. Not sure how they're going to enforce the situation where one has no lodging booked. This mandate most likely is to deter anyone coming.
No camping permits will be issued. You will not be allowed to just pitch a tent. Get lodging and self-isolate. Or, don’t come.
Old Mar 25, 2020, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Transit passengers

Originally Posted by HkCaGu
How are they going to enforce this for transit passengers? Specifically, international/Guam-to-domestic passengers who are dumped landside to re-clear TSA.
I have the same question. I have read all of the official government documents I can locate online (proclamations, orders) and consulted various state agency websites, but I do not see any explanation of whether the "self quarantine" requirement is intended to apply to transit passengers. Does anyone know, or can you point me to a source? My best guess is that transit passengers might be screened for illness, but assuming they are not sick would be allowed to proceed directly to their next flight -- because forcing those individuals to instead leave the airport and remain in Hawaii for 14 days (or less) would seem to directly contradict the intent of the governor's stated desire to discourage visitors.

That said, the March 21st proclamation states that "all persons entering the State of Hawai'i" shall be subject to mandatory self-quarantine. And the Department of Health website states variously that mandatory self-quarantine applies to "individuals, both residents and visitors arriving or returning to Hawai'i," "all arrivals at state airports" from the continental U.S. and abroad, and "all visitors and residents arriving through Hawai'i's airports."

Grateful for any information or insight . . .
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:35 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
The directive also says 14-day quarantine or for "...duration of stay, whichever is longer..." so for practical purposes it would appear that quarantine will only last for as long as is at the airport. I suspect that one will answer the questionnaire, inform the screener of in-transit status with the next flight leaving in X hours, and as long as you clear the screening then they will allow you to stay at the airport until the next flight. Should one try to leave the airport then one would be required to go into quarantine.

To be sure, a good bet is to contact the Hawaii Dept of Emergency Management who actually issued the order via the Governor at (808) 733-4300.

An alternative, and probably the very best bet, is to contact the operations department of the airport where one will arrive - they will know absolutely how this will be handled because they have to make sure it is implemented correctly. Airport Ops are some pretty cool folks.

Last edited by Section 107; Mar 26, 2020 at 2:45 pm
Old Mar 26, 2020, 11:38 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by 747FC
I am not a criminal defense attorney or prosecutor, but the Hawaii Revised Statutes say that the top penalty for a misdemeanor is $2K

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscu..._0706-0640.htm

Not sure where the $5K that the government announced is coming from...
Hawaii law [§127A-29] provides for up to $5k when convicted of violating a Governor's or Mayor's emergency order

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.