Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:30 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by slippahs
The Kona numbers are perplexing. Where are the flight attendants in the count?
Possibly a commuter plane w/o flight attendant?
Old Apr 5, 2020, 9:37 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by slippahs
The Kona numbers are perplexing. Where are the flight attendants in the count?
On another thread there is some talk of planes sending two crews so one works on the way there, the other works the way back which would keep anyone from staying. I don't know enough about the process but in that instance would the crew then not be counted?
Old Apr 6, 2020, 11:10 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by mtofell
On another thread there is some talk of planes sending two crews so one works on the way there, the other works the way back which would keep anyone from staying. I don't know enough about the process but in that instance would the crew then not be counted?
That was what I have been told by FA and pilot friends and I posted upthread my experience last week.

Originally Posted by Finkface
When I flew last week, that is what AS was doing. They deadhead a crew down to the islands while another crew works the flight. Then they reverse on the return flight to the mainland. That way, the crews do not have to overnight and are back at their home bases as much as possible.
slippahs and mtofell like this.
Old Apr 6, 2020, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Sunday's (04/05/20) passenger arrival data (from: Big Island Video News ? Serving Hawaii County):

Yesterday, 583 people arrived in Hawaii including 126 visitors and 233 residents. In comparison, during this same time last year, nearly 30,000 passengers arrived in Hawaii daily, including residents and visitors. The state’s 14-day mandatory self-quarantine started on March 26th for all passengers arriving in Hawaii from out of state. The order was expanded on April 1st to include interisland travelers. This table shows the number of people who arrived by air from out of state yesterday and does not include interisland travel.

Let's see if Monday continues the trend back to fewer flights.

David
Old Apr 7, 2020, 1:21 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by DELee
Sunday's (04/05/20) passenger arrival data (from: Big Island Video News ? Serving Hawaii County):
[image removed]
Let's see if Monday continues the trend back to fewer flights.

David
I continue to be amazed at the visitor count and wonder if it’s accurate. I say that because I didn’t see everybody fill out the form in the past. Or even if they do, they may live in different states, claim residency somewhere else but have a home here. I suspect that is what we are seeing because there is nothing to do here as a tourist.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 7, 2020 at 4:27 am Reason: removed image from quote
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
because there is nothing to do here as a tourist.
I still see plenty of people on the beaches that look like tourists. I suppose they could have been here pre-quarantine but I also suspect there are a few folks rolling the dice with the quarantine. I've yet to hear of anyone on Maui getting busted for being out of their room. They are also really not enforcing the thing about not hanging out on the beach. Everyday I see police on 4-wheelers weaving right through people on blankets and beach chairs.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 2:19 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I still see plenty of people on the beaches that look like tourists. I suppose they could have been here pre-quarantine but I also suspect there are a few folks rolling the dice with the quarantine. I've yet to hear of anyone on Maui getting busted for being out of their room. They are also really not enforcing the thing about not hanging out on the beach. Everyday I see police on 4-wheelers weaving right through people on blankets and beach chairs.
Yep, I saw the same thing. Lots of people on the beach. Most spaced appropriately but some not.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE

Parked rental cars at OGG today.
Old Apr 7, 2020, 6:38 pm

I continue to be amazed at the visitor count and wonder if it’s accurate. I say that because I didn’t see everybody fill out the form in the past. Or even if they do, they may live in different states, claim residency somewhere else but have a home here. I suspect that is what we are seeing because there is nothing to do here as a tourist.
They have a new procedure, you have to turn the form in to the COVID-19 screener in person.

You can no longer just check None of the Above, sign it and turn it into the FA.

-David
Old Apr 7, 2020, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Monday's (04/06/20) passenger arrival data (from: Big Island Video News Serving Hawaii County):

Yesterday, 513 people arrived in Hawaii including 133 visitors and 182 residents. In comparison, during this same time last year, nearly 30,000 passengers arrived in Hawaii daily, including residents and visitors. The state’s 14-day mandatory self-quarantine started on March 26th for all passengers arriving in Hawaii from out of state. The order was expanded on April 1st to include interisland travelers. This table shows the number of people who arrived by air from out of state yesterday and does not include interisland travel.

Decrease in flights, increase in visitors...

David
Old Apr 8, 2020, 2:58 pm

Cluster of workers at Maui Memorial Medical Center have contracted coronavirus, Mayor Victorino confirms

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...s-sources-say/
Old Apr 9, 2020, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list

Cluster of workers at Maui Memorial Medical Center have contracted coronavirus, Mayor Victorino confirms

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...s-sources-say/
One line reads:Sources said workers were banned from wearing personal protective equipment unless caring for coronavirus patients, leaving them open to infection. Is that normal in hospitals given the Covid-19 virus? Are they afraid the patients might freak out?
Old Apr 10, 2020, 1:20 am

Originally Posted by philemer
One line reads:Sources said workers were banned from wearing personal protective equipment unless caring for coronavirus patients, leaving them open to infection. Is that normal in hospitals given the Covid-19 virus? Are they afraid the patients might freak out?
I've heard from friends in hospitals elsewhere it was to conserve PPE due to the shortage. Basically, unless you are in direct contact with a known case we don't want to "waste" supplies.
Old Apr 10, 2020, 1:27 pm

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
I've heard from friends in hospitals elsewhere it was to conserve PPE due to the shortage. Basically, unless you are in direct contact with a known case we don't want to "waste" supplies.
The article says these are not "new" cases meaning what - they have known for a while these folks have the virus but just now admitting it publicly? Will not surprise me when they say most of the staff test positive for the virus.

And what the world knows now is that unless everyone has been tested there is no way of knowing who has it or not and those people who have it but do not know it (no or only mild symptoms) are running around spreading it. If Hawaii wants to stop the spread they need to have everyone wearing masks now. If they keep waiting they are guaranteeing wide-spread infection.

Of course, the test is only accurate for up to the moment of the test - the person can become infected at any moment after the test....
Old Apr 10, 2020, 7:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Vacation Rentals, B&Bs Ordered To Cease Operations On Hawaiʻi Island

David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.