Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - 14-Day Mandatory Quarantine for All HI Arrivals & Neighbor Island Travel

COVID-19 - 14-Day Mandatory Quarantine for All HI Arrivals & Neighbor Island Travel

Hide Wikipost
Old Mar 30, 20, 5:50 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: 747FC
Wiki Link
Beginning March 26, all arriving passengers (residents and visitors) will be required to quarantine at home or in their visitor accommodation for 14 days or until the end of their stay, which ever is shorter.

Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

Links to Other News Articles:

https://twitter.com/GovHawaii/status...64303066411008
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...vals-to-isles/
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...-spread-virus/

Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

Print Wikipost

Old Mar 22, 20, 7:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ExpatExp View Post
Presumably Hawaii needs air cargo capacity even more than the rest of the US. AA has been flying cargo-only flights on some other routes recently. I wonder if something similar might happen on Hawaiian routes.
Hawaii has plenty of air cargo from Fed Ex, UPS and other large cargo only operators with 747's - with much of it perishable food. By the far, the bulk of Hawaii's cargo comes via shipping. If the cargo business is that lucrative, I'd expect the planes that are designed to ship only cargo to pick up more business. If United can pick up that much cargo - more power to them, but I don't see nor have heard Hawaii has a reliance on commercial airline cargo.

Who knows though - there are currently 5 nonstops from SFO to HNL on Monday Mar 30, despite what will be a 14 day quarantine, beaches closed, and they just ordered shelter in place on Oahu. Maybe they do have enough cargo.
Old Mar 22, 20, 8:05 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by smf_ltn View Post
This should improve my chances of getting a refund rather than a voucher. My travel is on 4/1 so still waiting to call HA. However, this will probably further overload the call center, sigh.

Thanks for the update.
I've been awaiting/hoping HA cancelling my 3/28 LAS flight, hoping that helps with a refund. Please let us know what HA does for you.

Originally Posted by azj View Post
As described in the press conference, violation of this quarantine will be a misdemeanor and subject to $5k fine and/or year in jail.
I am not a criminal defense attorney or prosecutor, but the Hawaii Revised Statutes say that the top penalty for a misdemeanor is $2K

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscu..._0706-0640.htm

Not sure where the $5K that the government announced is coming from...

Last edited by slippahs; Mar 23, 20 at 12:08 pm Reason: combining multiple posts
Old Mar 23, 20, 12:09 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer View Post
Hawaii has plenty of air cargo from Fed Ex, UPS and other large cargo only operators with 747's - with much of it perishable food. By the far, the bulk of Hawaii's cargo comes via shipping. If the cargo business is that lucrative, I'd expect the planes that are designed to ship only cargo to pick up more business. If United can pick up that much cargo - more power to them, but I don't see nor have heard Hawaii has a reliance on commercial airline cargo.

Who knows though - there are currently 5 nonstops from SFO to HNL on Monday Mar 30, despite what will be a 14 day quarantine, beaches closed, and they just ordered shelter in place on Oahu. Maybe they do have enough cargo.
United is cancelling many of the 737s scheduled to operate as the day draws nearer Id be surprised if all 5 nonstops operate on Monday.
Old Mar 23, 20, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by slippahs View Post
United is cancelling many of the 737s scheduled to operate as the day draws nearer Id be surprised if all 5 nonstops operate on Monday.
I'd also be surprised if United operates any Hawaii flights after this week.

Hawaiian is only flying 1 daily LAX-HNL flight starting Thursday - all other mainland flights are being suspended. If they have cargo flights, then they won't be with passengers on them.
Old Mar 23, 20, 6:02 pm

I was planning on camping out in the outdoors so this threw a wrench in avoiding people. Not sure how they're going to enforce the situation where one has no lodging booked. This mandate most likely is to deter anyone coming.
Old Mar 23, 20, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by dragond View Post
I was planning on camping out in the outdoors so this threw a wrench in avoiding people. Not sure how they're going to enforce the situation where one has no lodging booked. This mandate most likely is to deter anyone coming.
No camping permits will be issued. You will not be allowed to just pitch a tent. Get lodging and self-isolate. Or, dont come.
Old Mar 25, 20, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold; also AA, DL, and US
Transit passengers

Originally Posted by HkCaGu View Post
How are they going to enforce this for transit passengers? Specifically, international/Guam-to-domestic passengers who are dumped landside to re-clear TSA.
I have the same question. I have read all of the official government documents I can locate online (proclamations, orders) and consulted various state agency websites, but I do not see any explanation of whether the "self quarantine" requirement is intended to apply to transit passengers. Does anyone know, or can you point me to a source? My best guess is that transit passengers might be screened for illness, but assuming they are not sick would be allowed to proceed directly to their next flight -- because forcing those individuals to instead leave the airport and remain in Hawaii for 14 days (or less) would seem to directly contradict the intent of the governor's stated desire to discourage visitors.

That said, the March 21st proclamation states that "all persons entering the State of Hawai'i" shall be subject to mandatory self-quarantine. And the Department of Health website states variously that mandatory self-quarantine applies to "individuals, both residents and visitors arriving or returning to Hawai'i," "all arrivals at state airports" from the continental U.S. and abroad, and "all visitors and residents arriving through Hawai'i's airports."

Grateful for any information or insight . . .
Old Mar 26, 20, 11:35 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
The directive also says 14-day quarantine or for "...duration of stay, whichever is longer..." so for practical purposes it would appear that quarantine will only last for as long as is at the airport. I suspect that one will answer the questionnaire, inform the screener of in-transit status with the next flight leaving in X hours, and as long as you clear the screening then they will allow you to stay at the airport until the next flight. Should one try to leave the airport then one would be required to go into quarantine.

To be sure, a good bet is to contact the Hawaii Dept of Emergency Management who actually issued the order via the Governor at (808) 733-4300.

An alternative, and probably the very best bet, is to contact the operations department of the airport where one will arrive - they will know absolutely how this will be handled because they have to make sure it is implemented correctly. Airport Ops are some pretty cool folks.

Last edited by Section 107; Mar 26, 20 at 2:45 pm
Old Mar 26, 20, 11:38 am

Programs: enjoyed being warm spit for a few years on CO/UA but now nothing :(
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
I am not a criminal defense attorney or prosecutor, but the Hawaii Revised Statutes say that the top penalty for a misdemeanor is $2K

Hawaii law [127A-29] provides for up to $5k when convicted of violating a Governor's or Mayor's emergency order
Old Mar 26, 20, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Section 107 View Post
Hawaii law [127A-29] provides for up to $5k when convicted of violating a Governor's or Mayor's emergency order
Thanks for sharing. Heres the complete text:

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscu...0127A-0029.htm

​​​​​​ [127A-29] Misdemeanors. Any person violating any rule of the governor or mayor prescribed and promulgated pursuant to this chapter and having the force and effect of law, shall, if it shall be so stated in the rule, be guilty of a misdemeanor. Upon conviction, the person shall be fined not more than $5,000, or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

Any person who intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly destroys, damages, or loses any shelter, protective device, or warning or signal device, shall if the same was installed or constructed by the United States, the State, or a county, or is the property of the United States, the State, or a county, be fined the cost of replacement, or imprisoned not more than one year, or both. The governor or mayor, may, by rule, make further provisions for the protection from misuse of shelters, protective devices, or warning and signal devices. [L 2014, c 111, pt of 2]
Old Mar 26, 20, 2:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 747FC View Post

Governor's emergency proclamation probably allows him to do things he otherwise wouldn't be able to do in the interest of public safety. See HRS Chapter 127A.
Old Mar 27, 20, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Section 107 View Post
The directive also says 14-day quarantine or for "...duration of stay, whichever is longer..." so for practical purposes it would appear that quarantine will only last for as long as is at the airport. I suspect that one will answer the questionnaire, inform the screener of in-transit status with the next flight leaving in X hours, and as long as you clear the screening then they will allow you to stay at the airport until the next flight. Should one try to leave the airport then one would be required to go into quarantine.

To be sure, a good bet is to contact the Hawaii Dept of Emergency Management who actually issued the order via the Governor at (808) 733-4300.

An alternative, and probably the very best bet, is to contact the operations department of the airport where one will arrive - they will know absolutely how this will be handled because they have to make sure it is implemented correctly. Airport Ops are some pretty cool folks.
@Section 107 Thank you for the informative reply. That is a good point regarding "duration of stay" likely covering transit flights. I've gotten conflicting information from other government offices, so appreciate the recommendations about who to contact.
Old Mar 27, 20, 11:01 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer View Post
@Section 107 Thank you for the informative reply. That is a good point regarding "duration of stay" likely covering transit flights. I've gotten conflicting information from other government offices, so appreciate the recommendations about who to contact.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...elf-isolation/

There's a quote in today's article from a transit passenger. Looks like nothing different here from the ordinary - transit passenger hangs around the airport until the next flight.
Old Mar 27, 20, 11:51 am

Thank you for posting this slippahs — the additional details are very helpful!
Old Mar 27, 20, 12:34 pm

Looks like they are actually enforcing the stay at home order pretty seriously so the 14-day quarantine could be the same. After all, with everyone at home the police don't really have much to do. I'm here on Maui and there is word of people being pulled over and questioned. I suppose if a cop gets behind you and runs your plate he/she can determine pretty quickly if you're heading to/from a store for food or off doing something else.

I read a story this morning that says there are checkpoints in Kauai and that a bunch of people on Oahu were arrested for not leaving parks when told to do so. I've seen a couple police on 4-wheelers here running up and down the beach but they don't seem too interested in chasing people out of the ocean or off the beach, presumably since we're just small groups and not in a public park.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: