Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2020, 8:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Of course, those states which are reopening may live to regret it if there are mini outbreaks.

Extended family gathering for a birthday party in Pasadena led to 5 confirmed cases and several other suspected cases. There was one guest coughing up and nobody had masks.

So while it would be nice to go to some restaurant with a great view, if you have to sit close to strangers, probably not worth the risk.
Old May 10, 2020, 10:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by wco81
Of course, those states which are reopening may live to regret it if there are mini outbreaks.

Extended family gathering for a birthday party in Pasadena led to 5 confirmed cases and several other suspected cases. There was one guest coughing up and nobody had masks.

So while it would be nice to go to some restaurant with a great view, if you have to sit close to strangers, probably not worth the risk.
The party was held on March 19th, at a time when almost no one was wearing a mask. The CDC didn't advise wearing masks until a few weeks later. It seems like it was around the week of March 16th that people started seriously quarantining, so this is a few days after that. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ne...ty/ar-BB13QRNW

I think that people are far more aware of coronavirus and are taking it far more seriously now than they were in mid-March. Mask wearing is up, hand washing is up, no one dares cough around others.
Old May 11, 2020, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by Alex_I
- With no international travel I would jump on a plane and go to Hawaii but only if 14 day quarantine is lifted.
That's the point, isn't it? A lot of people here seem to be rather pissed that the state is saying please don't come right now, but as soon as we figure out how to do it safely without overwhelming the very limited heath system here, (we only have around 200 - 300 ICU beds and even less ventilators state-wide, with most of those on Oahu) we'd be happy to have you then.

Sorry you feel upset about it, but I don't think you'd like it very much if Hawaii becomes a hot spot and there's no possible way to take care of those that are sick and many were visitors.

Yes, the economy is hurting badly, and will continue to do so. They are starting to loosen up the restrictions on low risk businesses with some retail starting to reopen on the neighbor islands already and Oahu starting on May 15th.

-David
FlyinHawaiian and DCAhome like this.
Old May 12, 2020, 11:55 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Sorry you feel upset about it, but I don't think you'd like it very much if Hawaii becomes a hot spot and there's no possible way to take care of those that are sick and many were visitors.
Yes, the economy is hurting badly, and will continue to do so. They are starting to loosen up the restrictions on low risk businesses with some retail starting to reopen on the neighbor islands already and Oahu starting on May 15th.
- I do not feel upset of not traveling to Hawaii. I have been there too many times and I am perfectly fine with three season weather and great outdoor where I am now and a short drive to spectacular beaches of North and South Carolina. In contrast to HI, Hilton Head island (69 ml2; ca. 40,000 population) in SC is opening right now. In terms of tourists and population density is likely not much different from HI except Oahu. Moreover, known as a Yankee retreat, Hilton Head is traditionally getting many visitors from upper East Coast - the epicenter of current pandemic in US. With no travel restriction in place we will simply see how this opening would go.
Old May 12, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Boraxo
We'd love to vacation in Maui this summer but if they don't want us then it's 100% their loss. I can just as easily spend my $$$$ elsewhere. Nevada is already re-opening restaurants and stores, and I expect other states to follow. Florida is even farther ahead. And of course there is no shortage of beaches in California that will take me less time to reach. Food is also cheaper just about everywhere else too. Not gonna bother me to see all the overpriced restaurants in Lahaina file Chapter 7. Mahalo!
As a Hawaii resident, I find this post very insensitive. It is OK with you if people go bankrupt in the place you claim to love?

Look at the infection rates around the country and you can see that Hawaii is among the lowest. One does not achieve that without effort and making tough decisions. Sorry if that temporarily ruins your vacation plans.

I'll leave it at that...
DCAhome and HawaiiSailor like this.
Old May 12, 2020, 3:31 pm
formerly wchinchen

Programs: AA CK, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by 747FC
As a Hawaii resident, I find this post very insensitive. It is OK with you if people go bankrupt in the place you claim to love?

Look at the infection rates around the country and you can see that Hawaii is among the lowest. One does not achieve that without effort and making tough decisions. Sorry if that temporarily ruins your vacation plans.

I'll leave it at that...
The poster is actually not insensitive, rather the post reflects the current quarantine rules that the State of Hawaii has enacted that deters tourism for Hawaii. How is it insensitive for the poster to state that the money he would have spent in Hawaii for vacation is going to another state because of the anti-tourism rules enacted by the State? The rules enacted by the State of Hawaii has or is going to bankrupt a lot of local businesses to protect the local community. That is the price Hawaii has to pay to protect the population, and is the price the State of Hawaii has deemed reasonable to enact such quarantine rules, regardless of how many local business goes bankrupt for the greater good of the community. How is it the poster's fault if Hawaii doesn't want his tourism dollars with the quarantine rules? The State of Hawaii could easily support local business in time of the economic down turn caused by the 14 day quarantine rule, but they do not.

As a Hawaii resident, what I find troubling is the lack of clear guidance on future economic activity while balancing the health of the community. I mean guidance beyond opening the local shops for the local community. Leadership needs to make this tough decision, and that is their job. How are they going to allow international travelers? When do they want to lift the 14 day quarantine? To receive tourism dollars, the 14 day quarantine needs to be lifted.

Even General Hara in charge of Hawaii's COVID 19 response is worried about the economic state of Hawaii without clear guidance.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...ife-continues/
ksucats likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 4:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Only 200-300 ICU beds in the whole state?

We have heard of patients who supposedly had mild cases and then suddenly proceeding to severe or critical cases.

Might need medical evacuation insurance just in case.
Old May 12, 2020, 4:32 pm

Programs: AS 75K
"They hope tourism can open up safely by the end of summer" - Yikes!! - Sounds like anyone hoping for the 14-day quarantine to go away anytime soon is in for some disappointment.

Ige is such a clown.... he just completely brushes off the recommendation and opinion of the general.
ksucats likes this.
Old May 12, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by wchinchen
As a Hawaii resident, what I find troubling is the lack of clear guidance on future economic activity while balancing the health of the community. I mean guidance beyond opening the local shops for the local community. Leadership needs to make this tough decision, and that is their job. How are they going to allow international travelers? When do they want to lift the 14 day quarantine? To receive tourism dollars, the 14 day quarantine needs to be lifted.

Even General Hara in charge of Hawaii's COVID 19 response is worried about the economic state of Hawaii without clear guidance.

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...ife-continues/
I'm no Ige fanboy, nor one of the Department of Health. I know that to be a politician one needs to have a thick skin. It is obvious to me that leaders listen to many sources, and ultimately must make a timely decision and communicate in a clear and effective manner. Ige fails on these measures.

Hawaii has one of the largest elderly populations in the US https://www.prb.org/which-us-states-are-the-oldest/ and one of the highest rates of kidney disease requiring dialysis https://www.kidney.org/news/newsroom/nr/KD_StateHardHit Clearly, our population is at risk of being hard hit by the pandemic. Any leader has to pay attention to these numbers, particularly one of an island entity. So if Ige errs on the side of caution, that is understandable.

It makes sense to reopen the economy to within-state transactions and test the impact before opening it up to tourists coming in from COVID hotspots. Anyone who has been a tourist knows that vacations are a time for letting loose , excessive drinking and sometimes making poor decisions. Ige is smart to go slow. We can't afford anything less.
cblaisd and HaleiwaFlyer like this.
Old May 12, 2020, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
/moderator note/

TOPIC CHECK - Please save your political comments for the OMNI forum. Since this is the Hawaii travel forum related to traveling to the Islands, any future posts related to political discussions will be removed. Mahalo for your cooperation in advance.
cblaisd, LIH Prem, Boraxo and 2 others like this.

Last edited by slippahs; May 12, 2020 at 8:32 pm
Old May 12, 2020, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by wco81
Only 200-300 ICU beds in the whole state?
this is what was published on March 19 by Honolulu Civil Beat... 340 ICU units including military, most of them are on Oahu.

To some, the outlook looks especially bleak for neighbor islands. Kauai has nine ICU beds, Maui has 29, and Hawaii Island has 24. Regular hospital bed inventory is larger, with Kauai having 111, Maui 242, and the Big Island 242 state-licensed beds.

https://www.civilbeat.org/2020/03/ar...or-a-pandemic/

During the good times, Hawaii was getting 30,000 arrivals a day, by air. Not including cruise ships as far as I know.

Meanwhile, check this google image search out ("rental cars in fields on Maui")

https://www.google.com/search?q=rent...=1480&bih=1024

-David
Old May 13, 2020, 7:31 am

Programs: DL DM, 1.5 MM; AS MVP Gold 100K; HHonors Diamond; AMEX Platinum
Originally Posted by slippahs
/moderator note/

TOPIC CHECK - Please save your political comments for the OMNI forum. Since this is the Hawaii travel forum related to traveling to the Islands, any future posts related to political discussions will be removed. Mahalo for your cooperation in advance.
Thank you!!
Old May 13, 2020, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC

I'll leave it at that...
No, I love the Hawaiian people and the islands, [comment redacted by moderator per guidelines posted above by the moderation team; feel free to re-express your statement without overt political language]. Iceland is planning to re-open to tourists with testing on arrival (as is the case for Austria). But it sounds like a majority of the population on Oahu supports the ultra-conservative approach. So again. sad that I can't visit Hawaii, but plenty of other options will be available.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 13, 2020 at 1:17 pm Reason: see inline comments regarding content
Old May 13, 2020, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA GS, Delta Plat, Hawaiian Gold, Hertz Plat
Originally Posted by Boraxo
No, I love the Hawaiian people and the islands, [comment redacted by moderator per guidelines posted above by the moderation team; feel free to re-express your statement without overt political language]. Iceland is planning to re-open to tourists with testing on arrival (as is the case for Austria). But it sounds like a majority of the population on Oahu supports the ultra-conservative approach. So again. sad that I can't visit Hawaii, but plenty of other options will be available.
A testing-on-arrival or before departure approach, potentially combined with a mobile phone contract tracing app is being worked on, and would be popular as a way to reduce risk while restarting tourism. The “Travel with Aloha” program.

Just restarting and giving people a free aloha print mask and squirt of pineapple-scented hand sanitizer in the jetbridge in lieu of a lei would be less popular.
Boraxo likes this.

Last edited by HawaiiSailor; May 14, 2020 at 3:01 am
Old May 14, 2020, 7:12 pm

Has anyone had experience with arrivals from the mainland and connecting to an interisland flight on Oahu? I am debating going back in the next month, but heard of a secondhand experience of travelers being turned away at the airport due to the agent thinking that the passenger would have to quarantine for two weeks on Oahu before continuing on to the neighbor island. Of course, it sounds like the usual exaggeration but I was hoping to get input. I'd probably be booking the mainland-HNL and interisland flights on separate tickets and would have to walk my checked luggage over. And yes, I'd be quarantining once I reached the neighbor island.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.