Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Old Apr 30, 2020, 12:35 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Probably for Omni, but I think I had it and perfectly fine now. Open the economy back up ASAP. Fever sucked although I never had any lung issues. Shocking as I used to smoke and had Bronchitis twice.

Figure I’m the safest guy on the island now.
Rare, Boraxo and DJ_Iceman like this.

Last edited by COSPILOT; Apr 30, 2020 at 12:51 am
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:25 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Finkface
You are perfectly safe outdoors. We do not wear masks where I am and our numbers are very small, mostly all in long term care homes. The below is from our Provincial Health Officer who has been fantastic throughout this (and is a local hero now) and has years of experience working with infectious diseases, including ebola. I know everyone has their own risk tolerance but the overkill and overreaction to this has reached dizzying heights. This isn’t a poison gas cloud hovering in the air that merely being in the same square mile of will kill you. The best, most important thing you can do is wash your hands.

The chance of catching COVID-19 from someone coughing as they walk past you in a park is "infinitesimally small," B.C.'s provincial health officer said Wednesday.

During her daily briefing on the pandemic, Dr. Bonnie Henry said people should still feel comfortable spending time outside, as long as they stick with members of their household and keep a two-metre distance from others.

"We always say 'never say never' in medicine, but the risk would be infinitesimally small if somebody walks by you, runs by you — even if they are within six feet," Henry said.”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...UPEW-IRya4xq9w
Thanks for those observations and citation.

Granted, there is a lot of unknowns about this transmits in the wild. But, it went being considered to only spread through direct and sustained contact and breathing heavy airborne particles that drop within few feet, to a more recent study purporting to explain transmission in known cases based upon restaurant seating patterns and air conditioning airflow vectors.

Having come back from Japan when this started heating up, I was wearing masks very early on in this, and was only latter joined by others in my community. People used to comment that one was in more danger putting on/taking off the mask incorrectly, and that the mask could only be used once and then must be discarded. We now know that reusing masks is standard practice and the concept of reducing viral load supercedes lots of other concerns. The standard of practice has changed dramatically within weeks.

So, for this high-risk person, I'll continue to wear a mask, helping me avoid touching my face while hopefully reducing viral load from some errant waft of virus shed through aerosol by an infected runner passing too close by me.

Now, to return to topic, the 14-day quarantine, I heard on the local TV news that local college students returning to their neighbor island homes after completing school at UH-Manoa, will not be required to stay quarantined.

Best of health to all...

Last edited by 747FC; Apr 30, 2020 at 1:39 am Reason: ETA note about local college students
Old Apr 30, 2020, 6:08 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diam
Originally Posted by 747FC

Now, to return to topic, the 14-day quarantine, I heard on the local TV news that local college students returning to their neighbor island homes after completing school at UH-Manoa, will not be required to stay quarantined....
What does this mean?
Old Apr 30, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Probably for Omni, but I think I had it and perfectly fine now. Open the economy back up ASAP. Fever sucked although I never had any lung issues. Shocking as I used to smoke and had Bronchitis twice.

Figure I’m the safest guy on the island now.
Same here, in mid-March had every symptom except fever, even the loss of smell/taste, chest pressure, extreme fatigue. This was after flying to and from Miami and going on a cruise that turned out to have about 1200 college students. A real Petri dish! My daughter, who went on the cruise with me, had it too.

Hawaii, can't wait until you open up. :-). I will be there.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA GS, Delta Plat, Hawaiian Gold, Hertz Plat
Now, to return to topic, the 14-day quarantine, I heard on the local TV news that local college students returning to their neighbor island homes after completing school at UH-Manoa, will not be required to stay quarantined.

Best of health to all...
Yeah let’s lift the inter-island quarantine at least so we can keep our travel skills honed.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
/moderator note/

Hi folks - this is a thread about the 14-day quarantine in the islands for all arriving passengers. Let's keep to that topic and save the OMNI topics for OMNI. Mahalo.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...numbers-climb/

Hawaii lawmakers push for tightened quarantine as visitor numbers climb

The local media is having a field day (month? year?) covering the Honolulu City Council and a Senate committee's attempts to consider ways to improve the quarantine in Hawaii. For example,
The committee also is waiting for state Attorney General Clare Connors to tell them if it’s possible for the state to require quarantining passengers to stay at guarded quarantine sites and or submit to enhanced monitoring that could include ankle bracelets, GPS tracking and Facebook recognition.

Honolulu City Council member Kym Pine said the increase in visitors was concerning because the state lacks a strong program for tracking tourists and tracing contacts of people who test positive. In addition, she said tourists need to be tested before they board a plane or be tested after arriving with a test that has a quick turnaround.“We are facing a second wave (of the coronavirus) caused by high-risk tourists that don’t care whether they get contracted or not,” she said. “They’re coming here for fun on the cheap. That’s not the kind of tourists we want here.”

She said tourists should be tracked by their cellphones despite privacy concerns because they chose to come here and they agreed to follow the state’s quarantine.
Until there's affordable rapid testing that has a high level of accuracy (or a vaccine), I'm afraid these lawmakers will continue to keep spinning on this issue, sending the wrong message to tourists who are the lifeblood of Hawaii's economy.

Maybe they should look to see what Vienna is doing: https://onemileatatime.com/vienna-ai...m=BoardingArea
DCAhome likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 2:03 pm

It would seem that a combination of the Vienna model, with mandatory use of a post-arrival tracking and contact tracing app (that everyone in the tourist industry would also use but just while on the job, and optionally by all residents when in public areas) would do the trick. And if you don’t do both, 14 day guarded quarantine or fly back immediately. The added cost and complexity imposed would track to the desire to up-level the tourist demographic as well. The Japanese tourists would have no problem with this and would be very assured by it.

If our islands could really become and remain nearly covid-free for the next 2 years, and if life can approach pre-covid in a way not possible anywhere that lacks a 2500mi ocean moat, that could be a strong differentiator. Kauai seems to be there, and the others are getting close.
Boraxo, 747FC and DCAhome like this.
Old May 3, 2020, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by HawaiiSailor
It would seem that a combination of the Vienna model, with mandatory use of a post-arrival tracking and contact tracing app (that everyone in the tourist industry would also use but just while on the job, and optionally by all residents when in public areas) would do the trick. And if you don’t do both, 14 day guarded quarantine or fly back immediately. The added cost and complexity imposed would track to the desire to up-level the tourist demographic as well. The Japanese tourists would have no problem with this and would be very assured by it.
It will be interesting to see how Clare Connors decides the constitutionality of a contact tracing app that is used on people who are not sick, forced mandatory quarantine facility (i.e., fancy jail), or ankle monitoring. I doubt any of these measures are going to fly legally, but many in the community are probably at the point of, screw it, just do it and face the repercussions later.
ksucats likes this.
Old May 3, 2020, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
It will be interesting to see how Clare Connors decides the constitutionality of a contact tracing app that is used on people who are not sick, forced mandatory quarantine facility (i.e., fancy jail), or ankle monitoring. I doubt any of these measures are going to fly legally, but many in the community are probably at the point of, screw it, just do it and face the repercussions later.
We’re theoretically already doing something not too far removed from this potential, and I haven’t heard of any specific challenges to its constitutionality, yet. These options would be to bypass the 14 day quarantine which would still be an option. Apparently courts give a lot of leeway to executives when public health is on the line. Applying these to residents starts to get more dicey, but so does treating residents differently from visitors.
Old May 3, 2020, 11:38 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Not making a judgment about the" lunatic "part of of your self-appraisals, but according to a recent nationwide survey, you are on the "fringe:"

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politic...open-poll-says

The above-cited poll is pretty consistent with earlier polls conducted by other organizations.

ETA: It is fascinating--and for me--frightening, to the wide variety of behaviors exhibited in response to this pandemic. As an example, when my wife and I go walking, we make sure to bring a mask in case we will be in close proximity with other walkers. And, we go through all sorts of maneuvers to make sure we are far away from other people. In contrast, many, many people we see out and about fail to wear or even carry a mask, nor do they try to maintain social distance.
I wonder what the responses would have been had the question not contained "without further testing for the coronavirus?" at the end. I suspect more people would vote "Good idea" for each item, but if you include "without further testing for the coronavirus," I'm sure many will think, "OK, on second thought, why not, for safety's sake, maybe that's a good idea." In Japan, where I live, the government has opted for a strategy that does not rely on extensive testing and has issued no formal nationwide lockdown, and most businesses remain open (without massive layoffs), and restaurants still operate, but in most cases with earlier closing times, though large gatherings are strongly discouraged and there have been school closings, they have not shut down the economy. I get CNN on cable TV here and compared to Japanese TV, their reporting comes across as scaremongering, with panel discussions comprised only of experts who share a "shut it down till everything is safe" point of view and no consensus on what "everything is safe" means.

Now, during Japan's "Golden Week" holiday, I see lots of people here in Kyushu outside during the warm weather, and most, but not all wear masks yet many don't seem concerned with social distancing. Of course, without extensive testing, there are fewer known cases here, but there has not been a large number of deaths like in the U.S. and Europe, even though the virus struck here earlier. Since COVID-19 tests are not readily available here, I wonder how Japan's more laissez-faire approach will affect Hawaii's acceptance of Japanese tourists moving forward? A mandatory 14-day self-quarantine is longer than most people's vacation time in Hawaii, how long can such a policy be sustained and when can they be sure it's safe to end the policy?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 9, 2020 at 4:43 pm Reason: remove large image from quote
Old May 4, 2020, 1:58 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
I get CNN on cable TV here and compared to Japanese TV, their reporting comes across as scaremongering, with panel discussions comprised only of experts who share a "shut it down till everything is safe" point of view and no consensus on what "everything is safe" means.
CNN has turned into a tabloid over the last few years.... their reporting has one goal and it's to disrupt and discredit the current administration (obviously, an easy target but they are totally overplaying their hand to the point of becoming irrelevant - anyone can check the ratings drop if they don't believe me).

As for your other items, it's interesting to hear how Japan is doing things and can lead one to wonder if all the shutdowns, closings and other measures here in the US are even doing much. There's already strong evidence that Corona swept through large areas of the country long before all of our reactionary measures. There's no doubt it's hammering NY/NJ and some other areas but why the relatively light impact on large population masses like So Cal?

Bringing this back to the topic of a 14-day quarantine for getting into Hawaii, I think it's a total wildcard. I could see Ige panicking with revenue drop and opening things back up but I could also see him going overboard the other direction and holding things closed through the summer (after all, he's still getting his paycheck). All indications so far point to the latter for sure. It's kind of funny because the quarantine was implemented 2+ weeks later than I expected which made me think it would be lifted soon... as though Ige felt forced to do something. The way he's talking now, Hawaii's economy is going to be in shambles before they even consider allowing dirty tourism to start up again.
Old May 9, 2020, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Hawaii to tighten measures even as it prepares to market tourism again

https://www.khon2.com/coronavirus/tr...-travel-forms/

Anyone know how their quarantine works?

You have to stay 2 weeks so you'd have to book accommodations for 2 weeks before the days you plan to visit?

So a 1-week visit becomes a 3-week booking?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 9, 2020 at 4:43 pm Reason: merged with existing thread after relocation from COVID-19 Forum
Old May 9, 2020, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by wco81

You have to stay 2 weeks so you'd have to book accommodations for 2 weeks before the days you plan to visit?

Gotta make money somehow...

David
Old May 9, 2020, 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by wco81

They are also now 1) banning rental cars to visitors during the two week quarantine period, and 2) asking hotels to give visitors "one time use key-cards" to their rooms. The one time use is so is visitors leave the room, breaking quarantine, they'll have to ask the hotel for re-entry. At that point the hotel would be asked to contact the police and report them.

No problem with that, assuming Hawaii also for returning residents: 1) confiscates their private registered automobiles for the quarantine period, and 2) have police guards, ankle-monitoring, or some such other equivalent procedure to the one-time entry to enforce the quarantine returning residents are supposed to be doing in their own homes. Or confine returning residents in a hotel room also. (None of that happening right now.)

Short term vacation rentals to visitors are also prohibited right now. So a visitor can't even rent a nice home on the water for the quarantine, drive straight there in a taxi, and have the house stocked in advance by a service, and have an option for a decent, although restricted, visit during their quarantine. They have to spend the quarantine in a hotel room, never allowed to leave the room that they must pay for. There may be some middle ground at timeshare/condos, if the properties are still open. There is much lively and heated discussion about this on various Hawaii travel forums. While a returning resident may have full run of their nice house and yard and car and no particular specifics monitoring or restrictions other than their word they will self quarantine.

I assume it's only a matter of time before attorneys will start to have a field day with some of the inequities.

But until then, or until restrictions are lifted, yes, three weeks for the one week of vacation. Assuming restaurants, pools, beaches, will be open for even the one week. They may not be depending when you travel. Plus, if you spend any time on Hawaii travel forums, it won't take long for you to feel the hostility to visitors. There was an article posted about one family having it's tires slashed on their rental car. Some residents are actually making thinly veiled threats to potentially visitors, basically saying they're "taking matters in their own hand" and officials are looking the other way when they do, so come at your own risk type of vibe.

Lots of other states and US territories being much more civil, with a much more welcoming and emphatic tone to visitors - even those that also have current 14 day quarantines themselves. I've pretty much decided to take the 25K-35K I spend in Hawaii every year for a 2-3 week vacation someplace else. Even though everything is likely to be lifted in September when I normally visit. The message and tone coming out of those forums is so negative and hateful, it just makes me want to spend my hard earned vacation dollars someplace else.
DELee likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.