Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by Section 107
Hawaii law [§127A-29] provides for up to $5k when convicted of violating a Governor's or Mayor's emergency order
Thanks for sharing. Here’s the complete text:

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscu...0127A-0029.htm

​​​​​​ [§127A-29] Misdemeanors. Any person violating any rule of the governor or mayor prescribed and promulgated pursuant to this chapter and having the force and effect of law, shall, if it shall be so stated in the rule, be guilty of a misdemeanor. Upon conviction, the person shall be fined not more than $5,000, or imprisoned not more than one year, or both.

Any person who intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly destroys, damages, or loses any shelter, protective device, or warning or signal device, shall if the same was installed or constructed by the United States, the State, or a county, or is the property of the United States, the State, or a county, be fined the cost of replacement, or imprisoned not more than one year, or both. The governor or mayor, may, by rule, make further provisions for the protection from misuse of shelters, protective devices, or warning and signal devices. [L 2014, c 111, pt of §2]
Old Mar 26, 2020, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by 747FC
I am not a criminal defense attorney or prosecutor, but the Hawaii Revised Statutes say that the top penalty for a misdemeanor is $2K

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscu..._0706-0640.htm

Not sure where the $5K that the government announced is coming from...
Governor's emergency proclamation probably allows him to do things he otherwise wouldn't be able to do in the interest of public safety. See HRS Chapter 127A.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:05 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Originally Posted by Section 107
The directive also says 14-day quarantine or for "...duration of stay, whichever is longer..." so for practical purposes it would appear that quarantine will only last for as long as is at the airport. I suspect that one will answer the questionnaire, inform the screener of in-transit status with the next flight leaving in X hours, and as long as you clear the screening then they will allow you to stay at the airport until the next flight. Should one try to leave the airport then one would be required to go into quarantine.

To be sure, a good bet is to contact the Hawaii Dept of Emergency Management who actually issued the order via the Governor at (808) 733-4300.

An alternative, and probably the very best bet, is to contact the operations department of the airport where one will arrive - they will know absolutely how this will be handled because they have to make sure it is implemented correctly. Airport Ops are some pretty cool folks.
@Section 107 Thank you for the informative reply. That is a good point regarding "duration of stay" likely covering transit flights. I've gotten conflicting information from other government offices, so appreciate the recommendations about who to contact.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ZenFlyer
@Section 107 Thank you for the informative reply. That is a good point regarding "duration of stay" likely covering transit flights. I've gotten conflicting information from other government offices, so appreciate the recommendations about who to contact.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...elf-isolation/

There's a quote in today's article from a transit passenger. Looks like nothing different here from the ordinary - transit passenger hangs around the airport until the next flight.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:51 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field
Thank you for posting this slippahs — the additional details are very helpful!
Old Mar 27, 2020, 12:34 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Looks like they are actually enforcing the stay at home order pretty seriously so the 14-day quarantine could be the same. After all, with everyone at home the police don't really have much to do. I'm here on Maui and there is word of people being pulled over and questioned. I suppose if a cop gets behind you and runs your plate he/she can determine pretty quickly if you're heading to/from a store for food or off doing something else.

I read a story this morning that says there are checkpoints in Kauai and that a bunch of people on Oahu were arrested for not leaving parks when told to do so. I've seen a couple police on 4-wheelers here running up and down the beach but they don't seem too interested in chasing people out of the ocean or off the beach, presumably since we're just small groups and not in a public park.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...ry-quarantine/

268 visitors to all islands on Thurs, March 26 (first day of 14-day mandatory quarantine for arrivals)
239 to HNL, 11 to Maui, 18 to the BI
1,589 total arrivals, some of whom I believe were transit pax per a Maui News article.

Who are the 268 people who are flying to Hawaii just to be stuck in a hotel room for 14 days (or less)?
Old Mar 27, 2020, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs
https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...ry-quarantine/

268 visitors to all islands on Thurs, March 26 (first day of 14-day mandatory quarantine for arrivals)
239 to HNL, 11 to Maui, 18 to the BI
1,589 total arrivals, some of whom I believe were transit pax per a Maui News article.

Who are the 268 people who are flying to Hawaii just to be stuck in a hotel room for 14 days (or less)?
Hopefully, not people who just got off a cruise ship and decided to infect the world:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...tion-strategy/

Actually, I assume that there are some who may be staying with friends or in long-term rental situations. Or, intended new residents. Or, people coming on long-term work assignments.
Old Mar 27, 2020, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by 747FC
Hopefully, not people who just got off a cruise ship and decided to infect the world:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...tion-strategy/

Actually, I assume that there are some who may be staying with friends or in long-term rental situations. Or, intended new residents. Or, people coming on long-term work assignments.
Or even perhaps folks who couldn't get their money back.

David
Old Mar 27, 2020, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by laptoptravel
Hawaii's Governor Ige did order mandatory quarantine for tourists and returning residents.
The Proclamation dated March 21, 2020 last paragraph states until May 20, 2020, however the one released on March 23rd states until April 30, 2020. What is the current status for May? Information coming from the govenor's office is unclear..

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Mar 28, 2020 at 5:23 am Reason: moved into current thread on this topic
Old Mar 28, 2020, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by travelina
The Proclamation dated March 21, 2020 last paragraph states until May 20, 2020, however the one released on March 23rd states until April 30, 2020. What is the current status for May? Information coming from the govenor's office is unclear..
I think you picked up on a discrepancy between the governor's proclamations, but the discrepancy doesn't relate to the 14-day quarantine period and how long it'll last.

The proclamation (2nd one) doesn't say that the 14-day quarantine period lasts until May 20, 2020, but I can see how that is confusing given that the additional declaration comes after verbiage on the 14-day quarantine. It says, "I FURTHER DECLARE that the disaster emergency relief period shall continue through May 20, 2020, unless terminated by a separate proclamation, whichever shall occur first."

The March 23rd proclamation (3rd one) is the stay at home order and it states: "I FURTHER DECLARE that the disaster emergency relief period shall continue through April 30, 2020, unless terminated by a separate proclamation, whichever shall occur first."

I think someone forgot to carry over the extension of the disaster relief period to May 30, 2020 in the third proclamation.

But I doubt anyone knows how long the covid-19 situation in Hawaii will last, and thus how long the 14-day quarantine period restrictions will run. If anything, hope for the best, but plan for the worst.
Old Mar 28, 2020, 7:50 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Impact of COVID-19 to Airline Passenger Counts

Old Mar 29, 2020, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
So, interesting that 2 islands are tracked by island name, and 2 islands are tracked by city of airport name, yet none have regularly scheduled mainland traffic into a secondary airport, other than the Big Island.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 1:51 am

Just added this to wiki, a graphical representation of Hawaii’s COVID-19 hotspots:

https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 3:27 pm

Programs: AS 75K
14-day quarantine extended to inter-island travel starting April 1st.

https://mauinow.com/2020/03/30/live-...onth-of-april/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.