Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - 10-Day Arrivals Quarantine/Pre- and Post-Arrival Test-Out Policies

COVID-19 - 10-Day Arrivals Quarantine/Pre- and Post-Arrival Test-Out Policies

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 19, 20, 7:39 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Wiki Link
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

CURRENT POLICIES
  • The mandatory 10-day quarantine is required for all passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 10-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 10-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/

Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...l#post32462884

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

Old Nov 25, 20, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by denver19 View Post
Well, the 14 days will be at my house, where I live, so I guess that's the worst downside. However, why is a paper copy more legit than a digital copy?

And as a Hawaii resident I'll add; this is the most FUBAR stuff I've seen, even by Maui standards. C'mon Gov, if you want to shut down the state, just shut it down.
LT. Governor Green says this is a built-in safety feature of the testing scheme. He said as states surge and people in those states can't get timely tests, they won't be able to come to Hawaii. I dont think thats a prescribed feature but rather a lazy way of describing a deficiency in the program.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Nov 25, 20, 6:40 pm

So, I got to see it in action this week; my son (who also lives in Hawaii, but was on the mainland) did the zoom deal last Friday. It took about 20 minutes of wait time. He got his test back Monday morning, early enough for his flight.

Well, the 14 days will be at my house, where I live, so I guess that's the worst downside. However, why is a paper copy more legit than a digital copy?
The paper copy serves as a back up should something happen electronically on arrival. The order states:

"Travelers heading to Hawai‘i must upload their negative test result to the Safe Travels system prior to departure or, as an alternative to uploading, bring a hard copy of their negative test result with them when boarding their flight. The State of Hawai‘i highly recommends that all transpacific travelers departing for Hawai‘i carry a hard copy of their negative test result as a backup."
Old Nov 25, 20, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by Weatherboy View Post
Its odd that all of these travelers are getting sick on their way to Kauai but the similar numbers don't seem to be similar on the other islands.
I'm sure you know that's not how it works and why 14 days is actually required to make sure somebody doesn't have the virus. They aren't necessarily getting sick on the way to the islands. They probably were already infected, but asymptomatic and didn't test positive at the time they took the test for a variety of reasons.

The 72 hour test just means you didn't test positive for it at that test and they are hoping you don't have it.

There was always the expectation that some people are going to arrive infected even if they tested negative for it.

Kauai warned everybody early on that they would drop out of the program if they exceeded a relatively low threshold.

-David
wunderpit likes this.
Old Nov 25, 20, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by brp View Post
Are you sure that uploading on the plane won't work? It will show as uploaded in the Safe Travels site when they check, and I thought that was supposed to work, not requiring the printout. I've read that it's "upload or printout." Would an upload in the air really not register?

This still sounds like a big risk. They really want you to upload your results to Safe Travel prior to flight departure from the Mainland. If your results don't arrive while in the air, you are subject to the full 14-day quarantine no matter when they may arrive after landing.
Assuming the airline is willing to board you without showing test results, you technically could receive results in the air (or after landing, while the aircraft taxis to the arrival gate). But you MUST have the results uploaded to Safe Travels, or at least show a PDF from the test provider, when you walk off the jetbridge. You are rolling the dice...three scenarios could happen:

Scenario 1: Negative results that arrive in time - you are clear!

Scenario 2: NO results before walking off the jetbridge - you must quarantine for 14 days or the duration of your trip, whichever is shorter. However, if you eventually receive negative results, you can choose to change your ticket, fly home, and thus end the quarantine. But you would not be able to enjoy Hawaii.

Scenario 3: Postive results at any time (whether before landing or after) - you are stuck. You MUST isolate for 14 days. You cannot travel home (or anywhere), regardless of symptoms.

In my view, it's too risky to roll the dice.
wunderpit and denver19 like this.
Old Nov 25, 20, 10:52 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K 2MM
The CDC is working on guidance that the proper quarantine period may be 7-10 days followed by a negative test. The CDC said they have learned the likelihood of people actually staying in quarantine for 14 days is low compared to 7 days and then a negative test. When/if they change their guidance I'll be curious if our governor adapts or sticks with 14 days? Based on history, he is VERY slow to adapt. Time will tell.
denver19 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 20, 10:55 pm

Flew PDX > OGG today and there was a slight change to the routine vs. a few weeks ago - the Alaska gate agent was checking QR codes BEFORE boarding. In the past you just had to produce it when you got off the plane in Hawaii. This could just be Alaska but I'm guessing they wouldn't be doing this unless they were being forced.

So, be sure you have completed your health questionaire on the safe travels app along with uploading test results. The questionaire (that ultimatley leads to you getting the almighty QR code) can only be done within 24-hours of departure and since I uploaded my negative Covid results +/- 48 hours I couldn't do it then and forgot. It just took a few minutes but was a but of unneeded last minute stress while trying to board (they well may have made an annoucement but I had headphones on most of the time at the gate).
Old Nov 26, 20, 2:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Platinum, HH Gold
Originally Posted by bluedemon211 View Post
The CDC is working on guidance that the proper quarantine period may be 7-10 days followed by a negative test. The CDC said they have learned the likelihood of people actually staying in quarantine for 14 days is low compared to 7 days and then a negative test. When/if they change their guidance I'll be curious if our governor adapts or sticks with 14 days? Based on history, he is VERY slow to adapt. Time will tell.
Any change like this would take a while to work its way through the system. Right now, every agency/government uses the 14-day rule.
Old Nov 26, 20, 9:49 am

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Flew PDX > OGG today and there was a slight change to the routine vs. a few weeks ago - the Alaska gate agent was checking QR codes BEFORE boarding. In the past you just had to produce it when you got off the plane in Hawaii. This could just be Alaska but I'm guessing they wouldn't be doing this unless they were being forced.

So, be sure you have completed your health questionaire on the safe travels app along with uploading test results. The questionaire (that ultimatley leads to you getting the almighty QR code) can only be done within 24-hours of departure and since I uploaded my negative Covid results +/- 48 hours I couldn't do it then and forgot. It just took a few minutes but was a but of unneeded last minute stress while trying to board (they well may have made an annoucement but I had headphones on most of the time at the gate).
Is this every one's experience? You can fly to Hawai'i and quarantine, so I don't know you would need the almighty QR code to board.
Old Nov 26, 20, 10:54 am

Programs: UA MP HH
Is this every one's experience? You can fly to Hawai'i and quarantine, so I don't know you would need the almighty QR code to board.
As mentioned elsewhere, AK has been doing a test protocol when flying from the Northwest to HI, checking the QR codes to mandate a negative test result prior to boarding. Not aware anybody else is checking the test results, but can see it coming.
denver19 likes this.
Old Nov 26, 20, 11:03 am

Programs: UA, Some Others
Originally Posted by BlueZebra View Post
As mentioned elsewhere, AK has been doing a test protocol when flying from the Northwest to HI, checking the QR codes to mandate a negative test result prior to boarding. Not aware anybody else is checking the test results, but can see it coming.

I am not exactly a Libertarian, but I live in Hawai'i, pay property taxes etc. I am currently on the mainland, and if Vault doesn't come through I couldn't go home? This seems like some unconstitutional stuff. Could I grab a Netjet, and then quarantine? I really hope we don't get to that spot, but ya, I can see it coming too.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Nov 26, 20, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not exactly a Libertarian, but I live in Hawai'i, pay property taxes etc. I am currently on the mainland, and if Vault doesn't come through I couldn't go home? This seems like some unconstitutional stuff. Could I grab a Netjet, and then quarantine? I really hope we don't get to that spot, but ya, I can see it coming too.
This seems like a mandate of the airlines and not the state. So I don't see a constitutional issue.

And I think as this drags on and a vaccine comes out there are going to be a lot of places that start requiring a negative test or proof of vaccination to fly.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Nov 26, 20, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL DIA/MM AS MVPG75K Bonvoy Plat
Originally Posted by Doppy View Post
This seems like a mandate of the airlines and not the state. So I don't see a constitutional issue.

And I think as this drags on and a vaccine comes out there are going to be a lot of places that start requiring a negative test or proof of vaccination to fly.
No one said AS is REQUIRING a barcode/result to board the plane, simply that they were checking them at boarding. It is in AS best interest to ensure passengers without a test result know what they are signing up for when they walk down the jet bridge. Dealing with a pissed off customer in Hawaii who just got told to quarantine tune or go home just wastes everyone's time.
Old Nov 26, 20, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA MP HH
Originally Posted by gregtay View Post
No one said AS is REQUIRING a barcode/result to board the plane, simply that they were checking them at boarding. It is in AS best interest to ensure passengers without a test result know what they are signing up for when they walk down the jet bridge. Dealing with a pissed off customer in Hawaii who just got told to quarantine tune or go home just wastes everyone's time.
Actually, in Seattle, AS IS checking, and clearing people before boarding, in a pilot program to clear the entire plane before arrival in Hawaii.

I think the constitutional issue is a state required pre-clearance by the airlines is an interstate commerce issue...the Feds would have to sign off. And, not sure the airlines want to be policing this, unless as in the case of international travel and checking passports and/or visas to determine if a pax is eligible to enter a country, and the airline is responsible to take the person back to the US if they aren't eligible. But an airline doesn't want to put a potentially sick individual right back on their plane...
LETTERBOY and BeachRat like this.
Old Nov 26, 20, 4:40 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Gold
Has anyone been successful using a rapid test from GoHealth Urgent care (results in 15 minutes?) Just want to make sure its the correct test: https://www.gohealthuc.com/travel-testing

It does not have to be PCR, correct?
Old Nov 26, 20, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post
Kauai warned everybody early on that they would drop out of the program if they exceeded a relatively low threshold.

-David
But my point is why does the island with the fewest number of travelers have the highest number of positive traveler? Kauai has a fraction of the Big Island's volume of travelers, but double the number of sick.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: