Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: Starbucks Gold :-)
Are they offering instant test results? If results are not in-hand on arrival, you're required to Q for 14 days, even if you later come back negative.

Sadly I'm in KOA though - not sure I can get back from DFW without going to HNL. Another test is required inter-island.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 11:56 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Can someone confirm my thinking on this. We are currently schedule to fly to HNL on Thursday. We have rapid Walgreens tests scheduled for Monday. Last time we received those results in less than 2 hours.

So we are thinking if we get results that quickly to instead fly on Tuesday to Maui. We have some friends that have been at their condo for a few months working from there and would like to surprise them. Then a few days later we would fly from Maui to HNL. Inter island travel to HNL doesn’t require quarantine right? And then we’d come back to mainland from HNL. Any issues with that plan?

Also the safe travel website has you put in your departure date. We are possibly thinking of staying a bit longer as well. Do they care about that? Can we change that post arrival? Or should I put in a later departure day from the get go and if we leave early no worries?
Old Nov 21, 2020, 12:34 pm

Has Quest been removed as a trusted travel partner? I know they were on the original list in October, but the current list does not include Quest (unless my eyes are deceiving me or I'm missing something). I'm working on a Plan B for travel in January and unlike other testing sites, Quest allows booking an appointment far in advance.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SF1K
Can someone confirm my thinking on this. We are currently schedule to fly to HNL on Thursday. We have rapid Walgreens tests scheduled for Monday. Last time we received those results in less than 2 hours.

So we are thinking if we get results that quickly to instead fly on Tuesday to Maui. We have some friends that have been at their condo for a few months working from there and would like to surprise them. Then a few days later we would fly from Maui to HNL. Inter island travel to HNL doesn’t require quarantine right? And then we’d come back to mainland from HNL. Any issues with that plan?

Also the safe travel website has you put in your departure date. We are possibly thinking of staying a bit longer as well. Do they care about that? Can we change that post arrival? Or should I put in a later departure day from the get go and if we leave early no worries?
If you get your test results on-time, you should be good to go. You are correct: there is no quarantine/travel restriction from other islands into Honolulu. And no Hawaii restrictions on leaving HNL. As far as departure date, they use that to see if your trip duration is less/greater than your potential quarantine time. They may ask for verification of your accomodations and the end of your reservation in some cases ...although that usually pops up if you come in positive or exhibiting symptoms/fever and not if you're testing out negatively.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 5:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Quick heads up, Safe Hawaii checking in OGG today is creating a huge line on arrival — looks like 2 hours with a ton of people in an enclosed space, similar to the huge lines at passport control arriving from Europe at the beginning of the pandemic. I’d be careful, this whole rollout seems to be a clown show.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL DIA/MM AS MVPG75K Bonvoy Plat
Important changes to the program starting Nov 24th (Tues). You must have a negative test uploaded prior to departure... otherwise you quarantine for 2 weeks (no ability to upload tests and get out of quarentine once you are on the ground in Hawaii.A 14-day mandatory quarantine will be required for trans-Pacific travelers arriving WITHOUT a confirmed negative COVID-19 test taken within the 72 hours before departure of the final leg of their trip to Hawai‘i. Travelers will not be able to obtain a Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) upon arrival at any Hawaiʻi airport.

Beginning November 24, all trans-Pacific travelers who board a plane on the final leg of their trip to the Hawaiian Islands without first securing a negative test will be subject to mandatory quarantine. Tests must be taken with trusted testing and travel partners with 72 hours of departure.

The negative test result must be uploaded onto SafeTravels prior to departure or printed out prior to departure and hard copy in hand when arriving in Hawai‘i.

Beginning November 24, travelers without a negative test result before boarding the final leg of their flight MUST quarantine for 14 days or the length of their stay, whichever is shorter.

It is important travelers consider the duration and considerable expense of possible quarantine before embarking.

Travelers from Japan may also bypass the State of Hawaii’s mandatory 14-day quarantine by securing a pre-travel test from a trusted testing and travel partner 72 hours prior to departure on the final leg of their journey to Hawai‘i.

Beginning on November 24, travelers from Japan who do not secure a negative COVID-19 test BEFORE departure will be subject to the same mandatory 14-day quarantine regulation as other trans-Pacific travelers.

The negative test result must be uploaded onto SafeTravels prior to departure or printed out prior to departure and hard copy in hand when arriving in Hawai‘i.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by nickab
Quick heads up, Safe Hawaii checking in OGG today is creating a huge line on arrival — looks like 2 hours with a ton of people in an enclosed space, similar to the huge lines at passport control arriving from Europe at the beginning of the pandemic. I’d be careful, this whole rollout seems to be a clown show.
There are a good number of reports of little or no problems arriving at OGG on this and other threads. Not sure what the problem might be today, but one point does not make a line.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by sincx
I got my test results from CityHealth's contracted laboratory, Curative. The results page is a website on curative.com.

Do I submit the results page from Curative, or will CityHealth give me something from CityHealth?
Originally Posted by MFtraveler
Not sure if CityHealth provides further documentation, but we saved the Curative website page as a PDF. Our results list "CityHealth Urgent Care @ SF" as the testing site so hopefully that will suffice.
That what I ended up doing--saved the Curative website as a PDF, and uploaded it to the travel.hawaii.gov site. The Hawaii website automatically recognized the uploaded PDF as proof of Covid Negative status, and we passed through the checkpoint exiting Lihue airport with no issue.
MFtraveler likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by MFtraveler
Does anyone have experience traveling to Hawaii with a negative test that only shows the date of the test but omits the time of the test? My sister took a test at Color, which is an approved test partner. She just received her negative test but nowhere on the paperwork does it note the time of collection; it only shows the date. She uploaded it to the Hawaii Safe Travel site and it shows the status as a "negative test" but wondering if we'll run into trouble when they check her paperwork at the airport.
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
I think there was a mention of this uptherad, the traveler did not have any problem. Today after my test the Color employee asked if I want my credit card receipt by email. I said yes, and she sent the email and I received it right away. I think this email could be an evidence of the time of the test.
We tested at SFO Color drive through (UA) yesterday afternoon and received the result near midnight. The report has only date, no time information. We separately received an email of the credit card receipt, that shows the time of the email and the time of the receipt, which was about 2-3 minutes after the test.

Test report shows only the date but no time information.

Receipt (and email) has time information - time was 2-3 minutes after test, when payment was made.
MFtraveler likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2020, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by MDTyKe
Are they offering instant test results? If results are not in-hand on arrival, you're required to Q for 14 days, even if you later come back negative.

Sadly I'm in KOA though - not sure I can get back from DFW without going to HNL. Another test is required inter-island.

I don't believe you need a second test just for a connection in HNL.

-David
Old Nov 21, 2020, 10:44 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Originally Posted by PanAmWT
We tested at SFO Color drive through (UA) yesterday afternoon and received the result near midnight. The report has only date, no time information. We separately received an email of the credit card receipt, that shows the time of the email and the time of the receipt, which was about 2-3 minutes after the test.
Hello,

When we arrived in Hawaii, we were not asked to show proof of what time we took the test, only what day we took the test.
MFtraveler likes this.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 22, 2020 at 5:07 am Reason: images removed from quote
Old Nov 22, 2020, 12:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by gregtay
Quick note for everyone: Starting Tuesday the 24th you MUST have your negative test uploaded to the Hawaii Safe Travels profile prior to arriving in Hawaii. If not, you will quarantine for 2 weeks or the length of your trip (which ever is shorter.) You can no longer fly and quarantine while waiting for your results. On our flight two days ago there seemed to be a lot of people who did not have their results back yet when we arrived.... under the new rules they would never be able to leave quarantine prior to the two week limit even if their results came back negative 1 hr after landing in Hawaii. Basically.. if you don't have a negative test from a test partner uploaded by your departure time then do not get on the plane!
Yeah, this certainly adds a layer or complexity - I'm flying out Weds @ 7AM and just took my test this morning (Kaiser) at 10AM. They say turnaround time is 48-72 hours. If it's 72 hours I guess I'm just out of luck. I'm a returning resident and going to be there for an extended period so I'd likely get on the plane either way and just hope it shows up by the time I land. Maybe I'd just "quarantine" in the terminal at OGG until it shows up
Old Nov 22, 2020, 1:28 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus Global Services 2MM
CVS not guarantying 72 hour turnaround?

Well so much for CVS as a trusted partner, at least for now. I just went out to the CVS site and found this banner at the top of the schedule page;

"We cannot guarantee a specific turnaround time on the lab tests accepted by Hawaii - travelers to Hawaii should make other testing plans."(bolding their's)

This is a major setback if true. Time to scramble
Old Nov 22, 2020, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by bluedemon211
Well so much for CVS as a trusted partner, at least for now. I just went out to the CVS site and found this banner at the top of the schedule page;

"We cannot guarantee a specific turnaround time on the lab tests accepted by Hawaii - travelers to Hawaii should make other testing plans."(bolding their's)

This is a major setback if true. Time to scramble
Same was true a few days ago when I researched where to get our test. This is due to the huge number of people getting tested for a selection of reasons. They can't hire enough people to do the processing of tests. There isn't an unlimited supply of people qualified to work in a lab.

Its not the CVS isn't "trusted" (which I think applies to meeting Hawaii's criteria), its just they are, like many other labs (I also tried Quest, who does CVS's processing) and they said the same general thing.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 1:43 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
And, if you are counting on getting your results while onboard and uploading them, be advised that the internet service on Southwest died 1/2 way across the ocean last week on our plane. We have made six round trips to Hawaii on Southwest and this is the first time the internet was a problem. (sorry to add to your anxiety)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.