Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 - 10-Day Arrivals Quarantine/Pre- and Post-Arrival Test-Out Policies

COVID-19 - 10-Day Arrivals Quarantine/Pre- and Post-Arrival Test-Out Policies

Wikipost is Locked   Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 19, 20, 7:39 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Wiki Link
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

CURRENT POLICIES
  • The mandatory 10-day quarantine is required for all passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 10-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 10-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/

Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawa...l#post32462884

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator

Print Wikipost

Old Apr 22, 20, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by mtofell View Post
Here's the latest: https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...y-experts-say/

There's really nothing concrete but it's at least something I suppose. I'd be surprised if the 14-day quarantine is lifted before June 1 but that's just a total guess. People here seem to be taking it better than other states on the mainland. No protests or anything. Locals seem to be in favor of keeping travelers away.
Thank you, this is helpful information!
Old Apr 23, 20, 2:17 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
People here seem to be taking it better than other states on the mainland. No protests or anything. Locals seem to be in favor of keeping travelers away.
Just FYI, there have been some protests:

https://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/2020/0...wide-shutdown/
mtofell likes this.
Old Apr 23, 20, 6:03 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
https://www.hawaiitribune-herald.com...ay-quarantine/

"Two men and a woman, all from Everett, Wash., were arrested Wednesday in Hilo and charged with violating Gov. David Ige’s mandatory 14-day self-quarantine order for visitors to Hawaii. The three, 39-year-old Caleb Conrad, 27-year-old Matthew Young and 24-year-old Makynzie Anderson were apprehended at about 3:15 p.m. at the pool of the Grand Naniloa Hotel on Banyan Drive...."
Old Apr 23, 20, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I’m a little surprised about the pool being open, haven’t seen that for weeks, even my pool at the place I live.
Old Apr 24, 20, 3:09 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
I’m a little surprised about the pool being open, haven’t seen that for weeks, even my pool at the place I live.
Yeah, no kidding.... I thought they were all closed. They do say, "apprehended at the pool" not "in the pool." I wonder if the police just happened to catch them in the area. Kind of misleading journalism if that's the case. I just can't believe a pool at a hotel is still opened. I'm pretty sure they are required to be closed but can't remember if I read that as a requirement. Total knuckleheads in any case.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 25, 20, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime
So for people staying only 3-4 days, they won't be forced to stay 14 days, right? I know it says duration of stay, but it is still not spelled out. What about transportation to/from airport; hopefully people would be allowed to get where they are going to shelter in place (hotel) before being "apprehended."
Old Apr 25, 20, 7:40 pm

I believe the way it reads is that you are to go directly from the airport to your lodging and stay inside - no common areas or pool, etc. You are only allowed to exit your lodging/residence to seek medial care or drive directly to the airport. Some people (in Kauai I believe) were arrested for heading to a store when leaving the airport rather than towards the lodging they listed. And yes, 14 days OR duration of your stay so you can leave before the 14 days but must drive straight to the airport.
Old Apr 25, 20, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat & 1MM, DL Plat, Marriott LT Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Explorist & IHG Ambassador
I have added a helpful list of hotels that are currently closed to the wiki. So if you want to visit now (despite the quarantine) you will be outta luck at most resorts...

Here's the list:

Old Apr 25, 20, 10:11 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
FYI, our lockdown has been extended to at least 5/31. This will include mandatory quarantine.
cblaisd likes this.
Old Apr 25, 20, 10:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
FYI, our lockdown has been extended to at least 5/31. This will include mandatory quarantine.
Complete overkill by Ige.
Boraxo, Finkface and mtofell like this.
Old Apr 25, 20, 10:58 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
Complete overkill by Ige.
Island time?

David
Old Apr 25, 20, 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Island time?

David
Yeah, they were a month late starting the quarantine. They might as well keep in effect for an extra month.
cblaisd likes this.
Old Apr 25, 20, 11:49 pm

Yeah, they were a month late starting the quarantine. They might as well keep in effect for an extra month.
Add a few more months, you know, just to be safe.
mtofell likes this.
Old Apr 26, 20, 9:03 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott LT Plat, IHG Spire
Thanks. Shoot.

Do you have a sense of the mood on the island about this?
Old Apr 26, 20, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Concierge Key/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite lifetime
Originally Posted by JNelson113 View Post
Thanks. Shoot.

Do you have a sense of the mood on the island about this?
Also curious about this. Safety and health are paramount, of course, and the absolute main concern. But, eventually, people will want to return to a semi-normal way of life, and for Hawaii, that includes tourism.

Have there been any local guidelines on when outsiders would be permitted to return (while practicing social distancing, temperature checks, etc)? Wondering if Hawaii is thinking complete 2020 closure to outsiders or some sort of opening by mid-summer if a downward trend in cases is seen the way other states are working toward?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: