Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2020, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mtofell
So, does Ige have the final say? Or, can mayors enact policy in their own counties/islands?
The way the emergency order is set, Ige has final say.
LETTERBOY and mtofell like this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 8:59 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Ige's original plan to do nothing and hope someone solves this for him is now unexecutable. He won't give into the mayors now because he knows we can no longer afford to pay people to sit at home. Kudos to Green for having the guts to remind everyone that reasonable mitigation of risk is the best we can hope for.
LETTERBOY and mtofell like this.
Old Oct 5, 2020, 11:19 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by finlandia
Ige's original plan to do nothing and hope someone solves this for him is now unexecutable. He won't give into the mayors now because he knows we can no longer afford to pay people to sit at home. Kudos to Green for having the guts to remind everyone that reasonable mitigation of risk is the best we can hope for.
Green has done some live interviews in the last couple days and I like his stance on things (let's just hope it doesn't change). The narrative of managing risk while re-opening Hawaii's economy to tourism is a real breath of fresh air. It's nice to hear him mention/consider the impact the shutdown is/has had on local families. Up to this point I don't recall any government official even mention or be aware of this concept in any serious/caring context. I particularly like the fact that he repeatedly acknowledges a second test, 3-6 days post-arrival, is statistically of minimal relevance and would absolutely kill any hope of tourism.

This is obviously still a very fluid situation but the chances that on 10/15 you can arrive and be free in Hawaii with a negative Covid test look as good or better than a week ago.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by mtofell
Green has done some live interviews in the last couple days and I like his stance on things (let's just hope it doesn't change).

This is obviously still a very fluid situation but the chances that on 10/15 you can arrive and be free in Hawaii with a negative Covid test look as good or better than a week ago.
Green changed his tune once he became COVID positive and his worst symptom was when he was tired for a few hours one day.

However Hawaii's Kim is still fighting Ige about opening at all. It doesn't sound like todays call went well but Ige is still planning to hold a press conference on the issue this week.

The other thing to point out is Oahu is still under the strict tier close-down and will remain so after 10/15. They won't be able to meet the criteria for opening up more.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Hawaii Island opts out...

"On Monday, Gov. David Ige gave each county the option to opt out of the program that would allow travelers who test negative to avoid the state’s mandatory 14-day quarantine....."

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...sting-program/
aoconnor likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 10:11 am

So I know the Lt Governor has discouraged trying to travel to more than one island, but... as things stand now, should it be possible to fly direct from the mainland to Kauai, spend a few days there then continue to Oahu since they aren't subject to the inter-island restriction?

Aware that it can't work the other way around and that things could change 10x in the next week. I guess it's a question of whether the QR code you get in Kauai would still be valid in Oahu.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 10:38 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by philemer
"On Monday, Gov. David Ige gave each county the option to opt out of the program that would allow travelers who test negative to avoid the state’s mandatory 14-day quarantine....."

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...sting-program/
This article is strange and a bit confusing (two of my employee's have read it now as well). Is it just Oahu and/or Mainland? Well this is a not great for me, reading this it now sounds like the Big Island is dropping out of the pre-testing program. My office is unfortunately there so once again I am back to scrambling with my plans. My partner just arrived a few days ago and is in quarantine now, so that actually ended up being a good move as from what I see Oct. 15 date is now off for the Big Island. Depressed!!

Last edited by nomad420; Oct 6, 2020 at 10:44 am
Old Oct 6, 2020, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by nomad420
This article is strange and a bit confusing (two of my employee's have read it now as well). Is it just Oahu and/or Mainland? Well this is a not great for me, reading this it now sounds like the Big Island is dropping out of the pre-testing program. My office is unfortunately there so once again I am back to scrambling with my plans. My partner just arrived a few days ago and is in quarantine now, so that actually ended up being a good move as from what I see Oct. 15 date is now off for the Big Island. Depressed!!
The article is confusing because the leadership in Hawaii doesn't seem to have a clue what they are doing. The governor has his opinion, the lieutenant governor seems to have another opinion, and then the mayors each want to do things their way. Also, it seems like anytime there's an announcement it's always with "details to follow", but we all know that details are everything.

If I were Ige I would ask each mayor to fly to HNL two days from now and all the mayors plus Ige and Green sit in an open air space and hammer out exactly what is going to happen and when. Then one unified message is delivered.
Doppy, opusx100, LETTERBOY and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
The poster to whom you refer rarely provides links to anything. I'll just stick to that fact without any further comment.
Not sure why 747FC has an axe to grind over my sources, but it is what it is.

KOA, ITO opt out of Pre Travel Testing Program
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 12:36 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Weatherboy

Certainly it is not your fault.... LOL don't blame the messenger! As JNelson113 states, they literally need to get there act together. Appreciate the feed back I get here both negative or positive, indeed it is what it is at this point.
JNelson113, opusx100 and LETTERBOY like this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 1:19 pm

Originally Posted by aoconnor
So I know the Lt Governor has discouraged trying to travel to more than one island, but... as things stand now, should it be possible to fly direct from the mainland to Kauai, spend a few days there then continue to Oahu since they aren't subject to the inter-island restriction?

Aware that it can't work the other way around and that things could change 10x in the next week. I guess it's a question of whether the QR code you get in Kauai would still be valid in Oahu.
There's no interisland quarantine for arrivals into HNL. And of everything going on, I think odds of that changing are low for at least the next 6 weeks. So you should be fine visting LIH and then ending your Hawaii trip in HNL. There is a quarantine in the reverse order though so no one should start their Hawaii trip in HNL if they plan any other island.

Once HNL hits 150+ fresh cases, though, I suspect they'll turn off the pre-testing travel program even there. Which is why the 10/15 opening could close a month later.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 1:35 pm

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JNelson113
The article is confusing because the leadership in Hawaii doesn't seem to have a clue what they are doing.
As a long-time Hawaii resident, I can tell you all that this pretty much sums up the topic. With our history of waffling on reopening tourism, the Big Island's opt out of the current plan, a one-way interisland quarantine out of Oahu, and remaining restrictions on which attractions and businesses are open, how could anyone book a trip here with any confidence right now? My advice is "don't do it."
JNelson113 and opusx100 like this.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by KeaauFlyer
As a long-time Hawaii resident, I can tell you all that this pretty much sums up the topic. With our history of waffling on reopening tourism, the Big Island's opt out of the current plan, a one-way interisland quarantine out of Oahu, and remaining restrictions on which attractions and businesses are open, how could anyone book a trip here with any confidence right now? My advice is "don't do it."
I guess that is fine (not really) for leisure travel but I need to go there for work/business reasons and this has been killing us now for months. May head back in November and quarantine AGAIN..... ARGGHHHHH!!!! My partner is there now under quarantine and was waiting for her family to arrive on the 15 to visit her post quarantine. Really messed up, these seemingly day to changes screw not just leisure travelers but is killing business in and out of the islands now. Just horrible!
Old Oct 6, 2020, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by KeaauFlyer
As much as I want Hawaii to get some tourism revenue into the coffers again, I agree: unless you're health is in tip-top shape, you have no kids, you're not elderly, and you have lots of time, patience, and money, avoid Hawaii for now. Beyond the ever-changing pre-arrival test program rules, there are always-changing rules/restrictions on each island ...many of which aren't rooted in science nor logic.
Old Oct 6, 2020, 3:03 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Weatherboy

Well not quite. Which is why links and sources matter.

https://www.westhawaiitoday.com/2020...sting-program/

County Mayor Harry Kim has not made a decision to opt out of the Oct. 15 pre-travel testing program.

“A definitive decision has not been made yet — it’s forthcoming this week,” Maurice Messina, Kim’s executive assistant and chief of staff, said Tuesday morning. The mayor’s decision on whether to participate will be made after receiving information from a team being set up to “address logistics for a second test” for arriving passengers from the mainland, said Messina
ExpatExp and 747FC like this.

Last edited by Finkface; Oct 6, 2020 at 3:19 pm Reason: Repaired link

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.