FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2013922-state-hawaii-safe-travels-program-5-day-quarantine-ends-march-25-2022-a.html)

RichardNixon Mar 22, 2020 8:18 am

So what I'm reading is that I should book one night at the FS Oahu and then regret to inform them that I'm required by law to stay in the room for another 13 days

FlyinHawaiian Mar 22, 2020 8:40 am

Read closer; "Remain in your designated quarantine location for a period of 14 days or the duration of your stay in the State of Hawai‘i, whichever is shorter."

Also, all the resorts at Ko Olina, including the Four Seasons, are temporarily closing starting on March 24.
https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...close-tuesday/

ExpatExp Mar 22, 2020 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 32216776)
I expect most to near all commercial flying to Hawaii to grind to a halt beginning Mar 26 unless they can make money with cargo

Presumably Hawaii needs air cargo capacity even more than the rest of the US. AA has been flying cargo-only flights on some other routes recently. I wonder if something similar might happen on Hawaiian routes.

Need Mar 22, 2020 5:13 pm

So you get off the plane, go straight to the hotel. Stay in your room and pay for the room and room services meal for for 14 days. After 14 days, if you have no fever, you are free to visit the rest of the hotel (pool, hot tub, etc..) and Hawaii. So to answer OP's question, your belongings come with you to the hotel if you still decided to go...

HkCaGu Mar 22, 2020 6:47 pm

How are they going to enforce this for transit passengers? Specifically, international/Guam-to-domestic passengers who are dumped landside to re-clear TSA.

HNLbasedFlyer Mar 22, 2020 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatExp (Post 32220078)
Presumably Hawaii needs air cargo capacity even more than the rest of the US. AA has been flying cargo-only flights on some other routes recently. I wonder if something similar might happen on Hawaiian routes.

Hawaii has plenty of air cargo from Fed Ex, UPS and other large cargo only operators with 747's - with much of it perishable food. By the far, the bulk of Hawaii's cargo comes via shipping. If the cargo business is that lucrative, I'd expect the planes that are designed to ship only cargo to pick up more business. If United can pick up that much cargo - more power to them, but I don't see nor have heard Hawaii has a reliance on commercial airline cargo.

Who knows though - there are currently 5 nonstops from SFO to HNL on Monday Mar 30, despite what will be a 14 day quarantine, beaches closed, and they just ordered shelter in place on Oahu. Maybe they do have enough cargo.

747FC Mar 22, 2020 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by smf_ltn (Post 32216901)
This should improve my chances of getting a refund rather than a voucher. My travel is on 4/1 so still waiting to call HA. However, this will probably further overload the call center, sigh.

Thanks for the update.

I've been awaiting/hoping HA cancelling my 3/28 LAS flight, hoping that helps with a refund. Please let us know what HA does for you.

Originally Posted by azj (Post 32217315)
As described in the press conference, violation of this quarantine will be a misdemeanor and subject to $5k fine and/or year in jail.

I am not a criminal defense attorney or prosecutor, but the Hawaii Revised Statutes say that the top penalty for a misdemeanor is $2K

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscu..._0706-0640.htm

Not sure where the $5K that the government announced is coming from...

LondonElite Mar 23, 2020 10:01 am

Originally Posted by qmuddy3 (Post 32215758)
what happens to my carry on belongings if I fly to Honolulu in 2 weeks ? thanks

They stay with you. Unless you are a resident, do you really think it's a good time to visit Hawaii? Almost everything will be shut, you'd have to spend two weeks in quarantine, and there may be limited healthcare options for you.

slippahs Mar 23, 2020 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer (Post 32220513)
Hawaii has plenty of air cargo from Fed Ex, UPS and other large cargo only operators with 747's - with much of it perishable food. By the far, the bulk of Hawaii's cargo comes via shipping. If the cargo business is that lucrative, I'd expect the planes that are designed to ship only cargo to pick up more business. If United can pick up that much cargo - more power to them, but I don't see nor have heard Hawaii has a reliance on commercial airline cargo.

Who knows though - there are currently 5 nonstops from SFO to HNL on Monday Mar 30, despite what will be a 14 day quarantine, beaches closed, and they just ordered shelter in place on Oahu. Maybe they do have enough cargo.

United is cancelling many of the 737s scheduled to operate as the day draws nearer I’d be surprised if all 5 nonstops operate on Monday.

HNLbasedFlyer Mar 23, 2020 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs (Post 32223030)
United is cancelling many of the 737s scheduled to operate as the day draws nearer I’d be surprised if all 5 nonstops operate on Monday.

I'd also be surprised if United operates any Hawaii flights after this week.

Hawaiian is only flying 1 daily LAX-HNL flight starting Thursday - all other mainland flights are being suspended. If they have cargo flights, then they won't be with passengers on them.

dragond Mar 23, 2020 6:02 pm

I was planning on camping out in the outdoors so this threw a wrench in avoiding people. Not sure how they're going to enforce the situation where one has no lodging booked. This mandate most likely is to deter anyone coming.

747FC Mar 23, 2020 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by dragond (Post 32224350)
I was planning on camping out in the outdoors so this threw a wrench in avoiding people. Not sure how they're going to enforce the situation where one has no lodging booked. This mandate most likely is to deter anyone coming.

No camping permits will be issued. You will not be allowed to just pitch a tent. Get lodging and self-isolate. Or, don’t come.

ZenFlyer Mar 25, 2020 12:43 pm

Transit passengers

Originally Posted by HkCaGu (Post 32220436)
How are they going to enforce this for transit passengers? Specifically, international/Guam-to-domestic passengers who are dumped landside to re-clear TSA.

I have the same question. I have read all of the official government documents I can locate online (proclamations, orders) and consulted various state agency websites, but I do not see any explanation of whether the "self quarantine" requirement is intended to apply to transit passengers. Does anyone know, or can you point me to a source? My best guess is that transit passengers might be screened for illness, but assuming they are not sick would be allowed to proceed directly to their next flight -- because forcing those individuals to instead leave the airport and remain in Hawaii for 14 days (or less) would seem to directly contradict the intent of the governor's stated desire to discourage visitors.

That said, the March 21st proclamation states that "all persons entering the State of Hawai'i" shall be subject to mandatory self-quarantine. And the Department of Health website states variously that mandatory self-quarantine applies to "individuals, both residents and visitors arriving or returning to Hawai'i," "all arrivals at state airports" from the continental U.S. and abroad, and "all visitors and residents arriving through Hawai'i's airports."

Grateful for any information or insight . . .

Section 107 Mar 26, 2020 11:35 am

The directive also says 14-day quarantine or for "...duration of stay, whichever is longer..." so for practical purposes it would appear that quarantine will only last for as long as is at the airport. I suspect that one will answer the questionnaire, inform the screener of in-transit status with the next flight leaving in X hours, and as long as you clear the screening then they will allow you to stay at the airport until the next flight. Should one try to leave the airport then one would be required to go into quarantine.

To be sure, a good bet is to contact the Hawaii Dept of Emergency Management who actually issued the order via the Governor at (808) 733-4300.

An alternative, and probably the very best bet, is to contact the operations department of the airport where one will arrive - they will know absolutely how this will be handled because they have to make sure it is implemented correctly. Airport Ops are some pretty cool folks.

Section 107 Mar 26, 2020 11:38 am

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 32220615)
I am not a criminal defense attorney or prosecutor, but the Hawaii Revised Statutes say that the top penalty for a misdemeanor is $2K

https://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscu..._0706-0640.htm

Not sure where the $5K that the government announced is coming from...

Hawaii law [§127A-29] provides for up to $5k when convicted of violating a Governor's or Mayor's emergency order