Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2020, 1:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by Finkface
I read it as she had to call in to them every day. Their calls to her were random, not daily. Am I wrong about that?
That is correct.
Old May 22, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by COSPILOT
That is correct.
Is there some protocol for how quickly you need to return the call if you are taking a nap or just don't hear the phone?
Old May 22, 2020, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by HawaiiSailor
…I wonder what mechanism that would require “location services being on” would allow the government to ping your cell phone when you make an outbound call to them.
I believe you are correct to question what the state is saying. There does not appear to be any reason that "location services" being enabled or disabled would have any effect in this context, which is a phone call you make to someone.

For the benefit of other readers, however, the state could certainly be requesting "location services" data when travellers use the state's website (also called a web application, but different than an application you download on your phone) to check in. Perhaps the state is incorrectly mixing up these two concepts, if they are asking for "location services" to be enabled for a phone call.
Old May 22, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by mtofell
Is there some protocol for how quickly you need to return the call if you are taking a nap or just don't hear the phone?
No idea, but for whatever reason no missed call shown, but the voicemail did. My wife called back 15 minutes later than when they tried to call.

I want to say again, she said the lady was very friendly.
mtofell likes this.
Old May 22, 2020, 10:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
New mandatory travel declaration form: https://hidot.hawaii.gov/airports/fi...M-20200519.pdf

David
Old May 22, 2020, 11:15 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by DELee
New mandatory travel declaration form: https://hidot.hawaii.gov/airports/fi...M-20200519.pdf

David
Interesting that there is no place to indicate whether one of the contact numbers can/cannot receive texts.
Old May 23, 2020, 5:51 am

Programs: AA,UA,DL,HA

David
Just curious, are we to assume that military personnel are exempt from the 14 day quarantine on arrival?
Old May 23, 2020, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by silvermine
Just curious, are we to assume that military personnel are exempt from the 14 day quarantine on arrival?
Believe so - when you look at the daily counts, they include exempted military personnel: https://www.hawaiitourismauthority.o...ss-release.pdf
Old May 23, 2020, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA,UA,DL,HA
Originally Posted by slippahs
Believe so - when you look at the daily counts, they include exempted military personnel: https://www.hawaiitourismauthority.o...ss-release.pdf
Thank you slippahs, that info helps a great deal.
Old May 23, 2020, 3:08 pm

This looks like a school civics exercise that would get a B grade at best. Poorly formatted, in one language only, and doesn't replace both forms, therefore requiring airlines and passengers to deal with two pieces of paper rather than one, one of which will be collected by the flight attendants prior to landing, and the other which passengers must keep until after they disembark… What a disaster. It was a great opportunity to make the paperwork simpler while also adding data for quarantine tracking purposes.

Last edited by ExpatExp; May 23, 2020 at 6:52 pm Reason: Spelling.
Old May 23, 2020, 4:59 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
This looks like a school civics exercise that would get a B grade at best. Poorly formatted, in one language only, and doesn't replace both forms, therefore requiring airlines and passengers to deal with two pieces of paper rather than one, one of which will be collected by the flight attendants prior to landing, and the other which passengers must keep until after they disembark… What a disaster. It was a great opportunity to make the paperwork simpler while also addiing data for quarantine tracking purposes.
You make valid points, but a separate form makes sense for multiple reasons:

1. The authority responsible for tracking is different than HVB marketing. They want custody of original declarations.
2. Many locals don’t fill out the HVB form. (I’m guilty of this over decades of travel.) I would pay more attention to a new form.
Old May 23, 2020, 10:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100, Hyatt Globalist, MGM Gold, Caesars Diamond
Kauai Quarantine

Originally Posted by slippahs
Wow - this is very different than the experience I am hearing of quarantining on Oahu, where there are roughly 300 returning residents every day, which would mean roughly 4,200 returning residents to keep track of subject to a 14-day quarantine at any given time. I understand some have gotten one or two calls during the 14-day quarantine. Imagine that HiDOT doesn't have the resources to make a daily call to all 4,200 folks to talk story about health.

I had read somewhere else that KPD may actually pay you a visit on Kauai to make sure you're abiding by quarantine. Guess when you have on average zero to one or two returning residents on average, you can be subjected to some pretty special treatment. Full visitor arrival details are posted here: https://www.hawaiitourismauthority.org/news/
Flew here privately with 2 others we all are staying privately and in different locations. One guy has had the police come by three times, another twice, I've only bee visited once-- Day 8
Old May 24, 2020, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by tobikosan
Flew here privately with 2 others we all are staying privately and in different locations. One guy has had the police come by three times, another twice, I've only bee visited once-- Day 8
Watching the news this morning it appears Kauai is the only island doing this. I’m a little surprised The other islands aren’t doing more of this.

They mentioned hopefully rolling out full time electronic monitoring will happen soon, but didn’t get very specific. I was multitasking when the news was on so maybe I missed some details.

On a bright note, today is day 7 of quarantine for my wife and kids. They are keeping sane and getting along well, but they are growing tired of staring at the ocean but can’t go to it.😷
Old May 24, 2020, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
You make valid points, but a separate form makes sense for multiple reasons:

1. The authority responsible for tracking is different than HVB marketing. They want custody of original declarations.
2. Many locals don’t fill out the HVB form. (I’m guilty of this over decades of travel.) I would pay more attention to a new form.
Yes, I also agree those could be some potential issues. Fortunately, they seem to be easily resolved with a sensible approach, and the introduction of this new form represents (represented?) a good opportunity to make improvements. Technological, logistical, and privacy problems have already been addressed with the existing system, which uses one piece of paper to collect data for two different agencies.

Document custody would also seem to be easily managed and shared, especially when the information on the forms is already stored electronically. Perhaps some agencies would want to fight over the hard copies, but that's something which could be easily addressed further up the ladder. As for not filling out the form, the new required checks of each arriving passenger should already take care of that potential issue.

Considering that the future will, once again, bring a large number of domestic and international tourists to Hawaii, what would really seem to make sense is one form, professionally designed, with easy-to-follow directions for those who speak and don't speak English well, which would be handed to authorities by the passenger after exiting the aircraft.

Does this mean there are now three different paper forms (on a total of two different pieces of paper) required for arriving domestic passengers who have not submitted data on the Safe Travels website? That would be more than other developed island nations require for arriving international passengers

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
Watching the news this morning it appears Kauai is the only island doing this. I’m a little surprised The other islands aren’t doing more of this.
Yes, it's interesting. Kauai seems to have taken a much stronger approach from the beginning…​​​
Old May 24, 2020, 3:09 pm

The form shown a few posts up is the form my wife filled out on the airplane. At the HNL airport she also had to sign the form shown below , and they did a test phone call to confirm the # was valid.

ExpatExp likes this.

Last edited by COSPILOT; May 24, 2020 at 3:22 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.