Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Wikipost is Locked  
Old Mar 22, 2020, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyinHawaiian
Comprehensive Overview, With Questions and Answers:

https://www.gohawaii.com/travel-requirements

CURRENT POLICIES
  • JULY 8 - Fully vaccinated U.S. travelers flying domestically — including island residents returning home — will be allowed to bypass Hawaii’s quarantine and pre-travel restrictions, as long as they upload their vaccination records to the state’s Safe Travels website and arrive with a hard copy of their vaccinations records. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2044877-those-fully-vaccinated-anywhere-us-eligible-bypass-quarantine-july-8th-new-post.html
  • JUNE 15 - Fully vaccinated travelers who received the vaccine in Hawaii are now exempt from Safe Travels
  • JUNE 15 - Regardless of their vaccination status, travelers are allowed to fly between islands without having to take a COVID test or quarantine.
SAFE TRAVELS PROGRAM
  • AFTER JANUARY 3, 2022 The mandatory 5-day quarantine is required for all unvaccinated passengers (visitors and returning residents) arriving into the state of Hawaii.
  • Additionally, operations, including peer-to-peer platforms or sharing services, may not rent vehicles to any person who is subject to a 5-day traveler quarantine order unless an exemption is granted.
  • Travelers flying into Hawaii are required to register personal information into the Safe Travels application; the information will be used to aid officials in contacting travelers via phone, email, and SMS. It does *not* currently enable GPS-tracking of travelers via their mobile devices.
  • Travelers are exempt from the mandatory 5-day quarantine if testing is completed no more than 72 hours before the departure time of the final leg of your flight to Hawai‘i with proof of a negative result.
    • The state of Hawai‘i will ONLY accept Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from a certified Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendment (CLIA) lab test results from TRUSTED TESTING AND TRAVEL PARTNERS. A negative COVID-19 test result is required prior to departure to avoid quarantine in Hawai‘i.
    • If results are not available by time of arrival, quarantine necessary until test results received.
    • All travelers (returning residents and visitors) of all ages subject to pre-test requirement.
    • Individuals are responsible for testing costs.
    • Travelers (returning residents and visitors) are not able to test upon arrival in Hawaii because this is a pre-travel testing program.
    • No commercial COVID-19 NAAT testing will be provided upon arrival at the airport. Travelers without the pre-test will be in quarantine.
    • https://hawaiicovid19.com/travel-partners/
Data on where COVID-19 hotspots are in Hawaii: https://health.hawaii.gov/coronaviru...ion-in-hawaii/

List of Hotels that are currently closed:

https://www.gohawaii.com/special-alerts-information

For interisland travel:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2041823-interisland-travel-unrestricted-starting-june-15th.html

//TOPIC CHECK - STAY ON TOPIC//

Aloha - as a reminder to all, FT's rules specifically state: "FlyerTalk exists for the discussion of frequent flyer programs and the related travel experience. With the exception of the few areas specifically designated for the discussion of other topics, confine your comments as closely as possible to these topic areas and to the topic of the thread and forum in which you are posting." FlyinHawaiian and I recognize that it is easy to intertwine political commentary with the policies advanced by politicians that affect travel to Hawaii. However, we ask that you keep in mind the nature of this Hawaii forum and focus your attention on the policies and their impact on travel to/from/within Hawaii. Commentary about Hawaii's politicians are off-topic, belong in the OMNI forum, and will be deleted if posted on this thread. We ask for your kokua and cooperation. If you have any questions, please let us know.

Mahalo,

slippahs, Hawaii forum co-moderator
Print Wikipost

State of Hawaii "Safe Travels" Program 5-Day Quarantine (Ends March 25, 2022)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2021, 10:46 pm

It's always the last leg that goes to Hawaii. IAH-HNL. (if they issue them in IAH).

-David
Old Apr 7, 2021, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem
It's always the last leg that goes to Hawaii. IAH-HNL. (if they issue them in IAH).

-David
Thanks.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:19 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
Maui

I started a new thread specific to Maui, but as a heads-up, starting around April 17, OGG will test all trans-Pacific arrivals and opting out or failing that test will subject you to 10 day quarantine at an approved quarantine location ....even if you are fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and even if you do the 72 hour pre-travel test.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:27 am
exp
Suspended

Programs: DL, UA, AA, VS
Do they have increasing cases or something?

Or maybe they found that the pre-test program were inaccurate and tourists are spreading infections there?
Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:38 am

Originally Posted by exp
Do they have increasing cases or something?

Or maybe they found that the pre-test program were inaccurate and tourists are spreading infections there?
New and active case counts are up as is positivity. (Maui positivity is at 3.2% today.)

I think residents suspect travelers are to blame, so by going this route, the Mayor will have more data to prove whether or not it is really responsible.

For me, it makes sense. I had a friend returning to KOA 2 weekends ago that had a negative pre-travel test done 72 hours prior to leaving California. She tested positive at the airport and a second test also showed positive. She had no symptoms while flying but had full blown symptoms the next day. She's still dealing with it now. Had it not been for the airport test, she could have easily spread it in her 1st day back home.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 1:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Weatherboy
New and active case counts are up as is positivity. (Maui positivity is at 3.2% today.)

I think residents suspect travelers are to blame, so by going this route, the Mayor will have more data to prove whether or not it is really responsible.

For me, it makes sense. I had a friend returning to KOA 2 weekends ago that had a negative pre-travel test done 72 hours prior to leaving California. She tested positive at the airport and a second test also showed positive. She had no symptoms while flying but had full blown symptoms the next day. She's still dealing with it now. Had it not been for the airport test, she could have easily spread it in her 1st day back home.
Was she vaccinated?

David
Old Apr 8, 2021, 1:40 am

Originally Posted by DELee
Was she vaccinated?

David
No, she wasn't eligible to vaccinate before she left Hawaii.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 9:39 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
No, she wasn't eligible to vaccinate before she left Hawaii.
Good data point. Does she have any idea how she got sick?
Old Apr 8, 2021, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by wunderpit
Good data point. Does she have any idea how she got sick?
She assumes in her travel to Hawaii. She was in a vacation rental only with her family bubble.
Old Apr 8, 2021, 1:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
She assumes in her travel to Hawaii. She was in a vacation rental only with her family bubble.
I highly doubt she got sick during her travel to Hawaii. It takes a few days for a COVID test to detect a positive case so any possible infection during flight would take a few days to show up so it’s likely she got infected back in California. Also if she tested positive on arrival and was ordered to quarantine, I thought the state won’t let you stay in a vacation rental and you have to pay for a hotel to quarantine in?
Old Apr 8, 2021, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I highly doubt she got sick during her travel to Hawaii. It takes a few days for a COVID test to detect a positive case so any possible infection during flight would take a few days to show up so it’s likely she got infected back in California. Also if she tested positive on arrival and was ordered to quarantine, I thought the state won’t let you stay in a vacation rental and you have to pay for a hotel to quarantine in?
She's a Hawaii resident who was in a rental in California. So she and her family are quarantining at home.
Old Apr 9, 2021, 8:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Where do you stay if you test positive on arrival?

Hi all. With the new requirements coming out for a post arrival test in Maui, I'm trying to make sure I understand the risks in order to decide if I should cancel this part of the trip. I'm supposed to spend 5 nights in Maui. My question is does anyone know where you stay if you test positive? I read that you are supposed to stay in your designated accommodations, but If the hotel reservation is only for 5 nights, what do you do for the rest of quarantine? I searched the KOA thread since they have been doing arrival testing, but couldn't find an answer, so figured I'd create this. Thanks!
Old Apr 9, 2021, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by darkrider
Hi all. With the new requirements coming out for a post arrival test in Maui, I'm trying to make sure I understand the risks in order to decide if I should cancel this part of the trip. I'm supposed to spend 5 nights in Maui. My question is does anyone know where you stay if you test positive? I read that you are supposed to stay in your designated accommodations, but If the hotel reservation is only for 5 nights, what do you do for the rest of quarantine? I searched the KOA thread since they have been doing arrival testing, but couldn't find an answer, so figured I'd create this. Thanks!
If you are confirmed positive, you're stuck in Hawaii for at least 10 days; the DOH puts you on the do-not-fly list until testing/doctors clear you. So that additional time is at your expense.

This is the list of places that are OK with quarantining COVID+ people on Maui. It doesn't look like the county updated it recently, so you may want to check with them to see if they updated it:
https://www.mauicounty.gov/DocumentC...1262021?bidId=

The state of Hawaii doesn't allow COVID+ people to stay in timeshares, AirBNBs, VRBOs, or any other non-hotel rental... but they do allow some to stay at timeshare facilities that are co-located with hotels. So if your accommodations are on the list, you should be OK staying put there. Basically you need to go to a quarantine-allowable hotel or head home if you're a returning resident ...and stay inside that room / house until you're done with quarantine. Room-service, delivered take-out, etc. is all at your expense. As are your medical expenses.

On the Big Island, a slush fund was set-up to help pay for people that couldn't afford quarantine stay... but how to get that and how much money they have has been hush hush. I imagine Maui has a similar system. But if you're a tourist able to afford a trip to Hawaii during a pandemic, you likely have the funds to pay for an unexpected longer stay too.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 2:38 am

Governor OKs vaccine exemption, BUT...

True to form, Ige released his latest emergency proclamation tonight after the work day wrapped up to give vaccinated individuals the ability to bypass quarantine restrictions, conflicting what he has said nearly every day this week.
Visitors would need to get their proof of vaccination into the Safe Travels website much like they get their pre-travel test results in now.
BUT there is a catch: he is passing the buck onto the head of Hawaii Emergency Management to declare when this can happen and how it'll be employed.

HIEMA previously said there is no way to validate vaccination info uploaded into Safe Travels, so it'll be interesting to see how this game of political hot potato will unfold.
Old Apr 10, 2021, 3:19 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Gov Ige’s presser

Ige’s emergency proclamation also included more detailed plans to allow vaccinated travelers to bypass quarantine following arrival to the state. The proclamation said those who are fully vaccinated would be able to avoid quarantine and COVID testing when flying to Hawaii by uploading valid vaccination documents to the Safe Travels Program. A hard copy could also be shown upon arrival. He said this vaccine passport provision will go into effect only if it is approved by the director of the Hawaii Emergency Management Agency. Ige did not provide a timeline for when this will become available. Ige has been waiting for HiEMA’s approval of the vaccine passport provision since his last emergency proclamation.

a step in that direction

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.