FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   Advice with flights from Jackson, MS to Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/2008946-advice-flights-jackson-ms-hawaii.html)

johnndor Feb 13, 2020 10:39 am

Advice with flights from Jackson, MS to Hawaii

Traveling with my family late July to Hawaii, and haven't been in the airline "game" (especially leisure with a family of 4) in a while. Would appreciate advice on the main flights, as I plan on flying into HNL and out of KOA. Am I missing any considerations?

(Will post later - and continue my research - on things to do/island, inter-island flights and places to stay, although I plan on maximizing the use of my Hilton points on the Big Island and Kauai.)

Thinking of:

Flying JAN-HNL on a Thursday
- 2 nights Oahu
- inter-island flights TBD
- 5 nights Kauai
- 10 nights Kona (Waikiloa)
Returning KON-JAN Fri/Sat.

I don't have any airline miles to speak of, but am leaning towards AA (fare dependent) since I have lifetime Gold, which at a minimum would possibly help in boarding and checked baggage fees.

thanks!

747FC Feb 13, 2020 10:45 pm

Looks like you have a nice trip planned. Without knowing your goals related to your destination choices, it is hard to comment any further.

Maglev Feb 16, 2020 10:02 am

You don't say if your itinerary is set, but ten days on the Big Island seems too much, and two days on Oahu not enough. Also, why are you not going to Maui?

philemer Feb 16, 2020 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by johnndor (Post 32067943)
Traveling with my family late July to Hawaii, and haven't been in the airline "game" (especially leisure with a family of 4) in a while. Would appreciate advice on the main flights, as I plan on flying into HNL and out of KOA. Am I missing any considerations?

(Will post later - and continue my research - on things to do/island, inter-island flights and places to stay, although I plan on maximizing the use of my Hilton points on the Big Island and Kauai.)

Thinking of:

Flying JAN-HNL on a Thursday
- 2 nights Oahu
- inter-island flights TBD
- 5 nights Kauai
- 10 nights Kona (Waikiloa)
Returning KON-JAN Fri/Sat.

I don't have any airline miles to speak of, but am leaning towards AA (fare dependent) since I have lifetime Gold, which at a minimum would possibly help in boarding and checked baggage fees.

thanks!

My .02 would be 4 nights Oahu, 5 nights Kauai and 7-8 nights on the B.I. Our fav island is Maui, FWIW.

johnndor Feb 17, 2020 11:11 am

Thanks - we're pretty laid back, looking for beaches and relaxation, some hikes/drives, snorkling and maybe a scuba excursion would be nice.

johnndor Feb 17, 2020 11:22 am

Thanks for the responses! We generally prefer to go one place for a long time (2 weeks in Ireland) instead of something like 7 countries in 10 days sort-of-thing, but in this case are willing to make a few short hops.

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 32070394)
Looks like you have a nice trip planned. Without knowing your goals related to your destination choices, it is hard to comment any further.

Thanks - we're pretty laid back, looking for beaches and relaxation, some hikes/drives, snorkling and maybe a scuba excursion would be nice.

Originally Posted by Maglev (Post 32078378)
You don't say if your itinerary is set, but ten days on the Big Island seems too much, and two days on Oahu not enough. Also, why are you not going to Maui?

Big Island... we've been there before for 7 nights (sans kids) and enjoyed it. We like the idea of staying at one place for a longer time, and alternating between relaxation and leaving the resort. Also trying to maximize our Hilton points and save on hotels (big factor), which means staying 5 nights at a time (10 in this case.) Maui doesn't have any (affordable) Hilton's, so we thought we'd save it for another trip, but based on advice we might revisit that thought. Also done Oahu before, and figured 2 days for Waikiki was enough, unless we venture to the north shore or something like that.

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 32079644)
My .02 would be 4 nights Oahu, 5 nights Kauai and 7-8 nights on the B.I. Our fav island is Maui, FWIW.

Thanks! See above for why we're doing 10 nights on B.I.... right now unsure what all we'd do on Oahu for 4 nights (not necessarily into nightlife, shopping and crowds?) but we'll revisit Maui, and see if we want to swing a hotel for a bit.

BOSOGG Feb 17, 2020 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by johnndor (Post 32082398)
......we'll revisit Maui, and see if we want to swing a hotel for a bit.

Grand Wailea on Maui currently showing five nights standard reward available various dates in late July.
95,000 points per night with fifth night free = 76,000 per night

johnndor Feb 17, 2020 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by BOSOGG (Post 32082766)
Grand Wailea on Maui currently showing five nights standard reward available various dates in late July.
95,000 points per night with fifth night free = 76,000 per night

Thanks for the data... we'll be scrimping by to get what we have planned... wish I had an extra 380k!