Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Mauna Kea Summit self drive with kids

Old Sep 16, 19, 9:02 am
Original Poster

I was wondering if anyone has self driven to the summit with kids younger than 16. Our kids are 12/8 and tour companies (Arnotts specifically) do not allow kids younger than 16. We will have a 4WD vehicle. Wondering about self driving. TIA.
Old Sep 16, 19, 11:15 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
As stated on Maunakea Visitor Information website....
Welcome to MKVIS - Maunakea Visitor Information Station

"Due to the hazards of altitude sickness, pregnant women, persons in poor health, and children under 13 should NOT venture above the Visitor Information Station."
Old Sep 16, 19, 5:43 pm

You won't be going up the Mauna Kea summit road any time soon.

The Visitor Information Station website doesn't even begin to describe the current situation there.

Suffice it to say that the road is closed indefinitely for now.

-David
Old Sep 16, 19, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post
You won't be going up the Mauna Kea summit road any time soon.

The Visitor Information Station website doesn't even begin to describe the current situation there.

Suffice it to say that the road is closed indefinitely for now.

-David
Thanks. I learned that as well this afternoon.
LIH Prem likes this.
Old Sep 17, 19, 1:48 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
For those who want a briefing on the situation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty...scope_protests

I won't share my own opinions on this or else the thread will end up in Omni/PR. Suffice it to say, the road to Mauna Kea summit is closed.
FlyinHawaiian likes this.
Old Sep 25, 19, 6:15 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
For those who want a briefing on the situation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirty...scope_protests

I won't share my own opinions on this or else the thread will end up in Omni/PR. Suffice it to say, the road to Mauna Kea summit is closed.
And likewise for my opinions on the quality of that Wikipedia article. There's some comedy value in the warring narratives, but take all factual assertions with a grain of salt until verified elsewhere.

On the original question, toward the day when the road is once again open to the public: take seriously the cautions above about elevation and young kids, and elevation generally. Bodies and brains don't work as well at almost 14,000 feet as they do at sea level. Sometimes that's an annoyance and sometimes it's life-threatening. The road is steep and bumpy, and you need to not only have a 4wd vehicle but know how to use it, including gearing down far enough to stay mostly off the brakes on the way down so that you don't overheat them and have them fail, which usually happens on the steep paved sections below the visitor station. Also be wary of setting sun in your eyes on west-facing stretches if going up late in the day, as many tourists do. Or better yet, wait until the kids are old enough, pick one of the better tour operators, and let them do the driving and maybe teach you a bit more about the mountain while they're at it.
Old Sep 25, 19, 8:45 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by WrightHI View Post
And likewise for my opinions on the quality of that Wikipedia article. There's some comedy value in the warring narratives, but take all factual assertions with a grain of salt until verified elsewhere.
I agree with your caveat about Wikipedia articles in general. However, I see no comedy in the TMT situation. Enough said...
Old Sep 25, 19, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
I agree with your caveat about Wikipedia articles in general. However, I see no comedy in the TMT situation. Enough said...
Agree completely. My comment about comedy was solely about the article.
747FC likes this.
Old Sep 26, 19, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE

On the original question, toward the day when the road is once again open to the public: take seriously the cautions above about elevation and young kids, and elevation generally. Bodies and brains don't work as well at almost 14,000 feet as they do at sea level. Sometimes that's an annoyance and sometimes it's life-threatening. The road is steep and bumpy, and you need to not only have a 4wd vehicle but know how to use it, including gearing down far enough to stay mostly off the brakes on the way down so that you don't overheat them and have them fail, which usually happens on the steep paved sections below the visitor station. Also be wary of setting sun in your eyes on west-facing stretches if going up late in the day, as many tourists do. Or better yet, wait until the kids are old enough, pick one of the better tour operators, and let them do the driving and maybe teach you a bit more about the mountain while they're at it.
Interesting, we have no age restrictions (as far as I know) for Pikes Peak. Plenty of people visit from sea level, and as long as they don't try and run, they do fine.
Old Sep 26, 19, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
Interesting, we have no age restrictions (as far as I know) for Pikes Peak. Plenty of people visit from sea level, and as long as they don't try and run, they do fine.
A few years ago when I took the cog railway up, there was a family with an infant -- maybe only a few months old -- on board.
Old Sep 26, 19, 3:50 pm

I've never been to Pikes Peak, but a little quick searching suggests the trip up is from ~ 6000 feet to summit elevation, not sea level to summit elevation. That does make a difference.
747FC likes this.
Old Sep 27, 19, 1:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
I've never been to Pikes Peak, but a little quick searching suggests the trip up is from ~ 6000 feet to summit elevation, not sea level to summit elevation. That does make a difference.
Plenty of people arrive from sea level and visit Pikes Peak the next day. Your body doesn't acclimate in 24hrs. It is fun though to watch them try to run to the edge and only make it a short distance, and tell them "I told you so."
Old Sep 27, 19, 11:09 pm

Not so sure about 24 hours not making a difference. In any case, I’d respectfully suggest that visitors to the mountain rely on the guidance from the visitor station to over anecdotal experience from elsewhere.

Last edited by WrightHI; Sep 27, 19 at 11:25 pm
Old Sep 28, 19, 9:47 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by COSPILOT View Post
Plenty of people arrive from sea level and visit Pikes Peak the next day. Your body doesn't acclimate in 24hrs. It is fun though to watch them try to run to the edge and only make it a short distance, and tell them "I told you so."
There are a few differences between driving up Mauna Kea vs. Pikes Peak.

One large one is the total travel time over kept roads. Pikes is maybe an hour at worst on paved roads. Mauna Kea is longer and not all of it is paved.

Another is the availability of services either at or around the mountain. If something goes wrong at Mauna Kea, you can be a far distance from help. At Pikes, there's even the railway option to get folks down quickly in addition to multiple locations on the road where help is available (ranger stations, gift shops, etc.). There's also a fair bit more traffic that other vehicles can stop to help if flagged down - and the likelihood that the vehicle is of a larger, more rugged variety, even as a rental is far greater in Colorado than on Hawaii.

Less of a problem at Pikes is the likelihood that folks have gone scuba diving vs. Hawaii.

Anyway, people (tourists) do dumb stuff that get them in to trouble if they haven't prepared - at either mountain.

David

Last edited by DELee; Sep 28, 19 at 9:54 am

Search this Thread
Search Engine: