FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   HNL terminal exit to departure level? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/1978198-hnl-terminal-exit-departure-level.html)

transportprof Jul 15, 2019 11:46 am

HNL terminal exit to departure level?

I’m arriving on UA at the Diamond Head gates and don’t have luggage to collect. I want to catch the19 bus to Waikiki, which I think leaves from the departure level.

Is there an exit from airside directly to the departure concourse, so I can avoid going downstairs and back upstairs again?

FlyinHawaiian Jul 15, 2019 1:21 pm

Yes, it's possible to exit the terminal at the departure (upper) level; there's normally an exit lane at the TSA checkpoints that you can take from gateside to curbside.

transportprof Jul 15, 2019 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian (Post 31306447)
Yes, it's possible to exit the terminal at the departure (upper) level; there's normally an exit lane at the TSA checkpoints that you can take from gateside to curbside.

Thanks!

747FC Jul 15, 2019 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by transportprof (Post 31306013)
I’m arriving on UA at the Diamond Head gates and don’t have luggage to collect. I want to catch the19 bus to Waikiki, which I think leaves from the departure level.

Is there an exit from airside directly to the departure concourse, so I can avoid going downstairs and back upstairs again?

Yes. Walking from the DH gates, do not go down the escalator or stairs. Continue until you see the TSA checkpoint on your right. Immediately afterwards, there is a lane from which you can exit, secured by a TSA agent.

KenfromDE Jul 15, 2019 8:37 pm

In case you don't know, the fare is $2.75 exact change. $1.00 if Senior with ID. 19 and 20 both go to Waikiki and depart from far right end of the center island. Make sure the flag says Waikiki since both directions use this stop. Luggage is limited to normal carryon. Aloha!!!

Finkface Jul 15, 2019 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by KenfromDE (Post 31307661)
In case you don't know, the fare is $2.75 exact change. $1.00 if Senior with ID. 19 and 20 both go to Waikiki and depart from far right end of the center island. Make sure the flag says Waikiki since both directions use this stop. Luggage is limited to normal carryon. Aloha!!!

Or the far left. :D There are two stops on the upper level. Well, three actually if you count the Inter Island stop. Although the OP did say he was at the DH gates so the far right is the closest. Just an FYI in case others see this thread and are closer to the Ewa end.

KenfromDE Jul 16, 2019 8:04 am

Now you need to explain Ewa!

slippahs Jul 16, 2019 10:44 am

Originally Posted by KenfromDE (Post 31309091)

Pretty simple. Toward the Ewa plains! I'm sure that helped to clarify your confusion.

Finkface Jul 16, 2019 11:19 am

Originally Posted by KenfromDE (Post 31309091)

Makai = towards the ocean (south if in Honolulu/Waikiki)
Mauka = towards the mountains/inland)
Diamond Head = in the direction of, you guessed it, Diamond Head (east from Honolulu)
Ewa = in the direction of Ewa Plains/Ewa Beach (west from Honolulu)
Windward side (the east side of the island
Leeward side (the west side of the island)

So the Diamond Head gates are at the east end of the terminal. Ewa gates are on the other end, the west end.

KenfromDE Jul 16, 2019 2:25 pm

Thanks for clearing that up