Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Maui - 10 nights in late Nov.

Old Jun 15, 19, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Headed to Maui 11/22 - 12/2 after scoring some SW flights on points and have the companion pass! Pumped to get such great value out of it during expensive holiday travel. We were hoping the flights to Kauai would be open by now, but "settling" for Maui seems pretty damn good. Below is our quick loose itinerary I am looking for some feedback on

2 Nights - West coast; Kaanapali possibly
2 Nights - North Shore
1 Night - Travaasa Hana
5 Nights - Marriott Wailea with points (5th night free)

We are an active couple who love snorkeling, hiking, general adventuring. We will be renting a vehicle for the duration of the trip as well.
Old Jun 23, 19, 12:33 am

West Maui is amazing, if you want value stay as close to Napili as you can, Napili bay is, IMHO, the best beach on this rock I call home. North shore is over rated, I say stay on the West side the 4 nights. When my wife and I moved here we lived in Paia...great shops and restaurants, but the beaches are just ok unless you want to wind or kite surf. You'll be here in the winter, but try to snorkel Honolua bay if you can. Take Trilogy on their boat ride to Lana'i if you can, well worth it.

Travaasa Hana is amazing......enjoy the drive there, enjoy hana, and drive the backside out.

Wailea Marriott is a great choice, it's a beautiful resort in Wailea and isn't as pretentious as The Grand or the Four Seasons. You'll love it. Drive down and snorkel Makena Landing if you can.....saw 23 turtles in one day there once....still my record. :-) Also get the "maui shot" at secret beach while you're down there. Hike Hoapili Trail King's highway" too....it's the most "recent" lava flow on the island....and count how many goats you see :-)

Feel free to txt me if you have specific questions, I work on both the west side and south side and vacationed here for years before we moved. Always happy to help others enjoy this paradise.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Jun 23, 19, 4:55 am

Be alert when hiking. Don't know where, but people are killed in Hawaii in hiking falls.
Old Jun 23, 19, 6:46 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by KenfromDE View Post
Be alert when hiking. Don't know where, but people are killed in Hawaii in hiking falls.
A good reminder, specifically hiking can be very dangerous when it has been raining, which degrades the trails and makes rockfall more of a possibility.

While we are talking about dangerous activities in Hawaii, it is my observation that more tourists die while snorkeling than any other activity.
Old Jun 25, 19, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LiquidHonesty View Post
West Maui is amazing, if you want value stay as close to Napili as you can, Napili bay is, IMHO, the best beach on this rock I call home. North shore is over rated, I say stay on the West side the 4 nights. When my wife and I moved here we lived in Paia...great shops and restaurants, but the beaches are just ok unless you want to wind or kite surf. You'll be here in the winter, but try to snorkel Honolua bay if you can. Take Trilogy on their boat ride to Lana'i if you can, well worth it.

Travaasa Hana is amazing......enjoy the drive there, enjoy hana, and drive the backside out.

Wailea Marriott is a great choice, it's a beautiful resort in Wailea and isn't as pretentious as The Grand or the Four Seasons. You'll love it. Drive down and snorkel Makena Landing if you can.....saw 23 turtles in one day there once....still my record. :-) Also get the "maui shot" at secret beach while you're down there. Hike Hoapili Trail King's highway" too....it's the most "recent" lava flow on the island....and count how many goats you see :-)

Feel free to txt me if you have specific questions, I work on both the west side and south side and vacationed here for years before we moved. Always happy to help others enjoy this paradise.
Why do you feel the north shore is over rated and why does being there in the winter matter for snorkeling Honolua bay? One of the reasons I was thinking of doing a night on the north shore was to break up the drive to Hana a bit a get a little more exploring time on it. How long of a drive is it from Napili to Hana?
Old Jun 25, 19, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by departingBOS View Post
Why do you feel the north shore is over rated and why does being there in the winter matter for snorkeling Honolua bay? One of the reasons I was thinking of doing a night on the north shore was to break up the drive to Hana a bit a get a little more exploring time on it. How long of a drive is it from Napili to Hana?
Napili to Hana is a long drive, but it's 45 minutes to the north shore, then 2-3 hours to hana past it, it doesn't really break it up much. Then you have to return/go on around. I'd say spend an extra night in Hana instead. I say over rated because the beaches aren't good for snorkeling as they're too rough. You could snorkel at baby beach but you'd just see sand :-). If you're a good surfer, they're good though. Typically far too rough for visibility to be any good. But if you want to see turtles, check out Tavares Bay instead of Ho'okipa. No crowds but still turtles and very picturesque.

Honolua bay can get some big swells in the winter. In the summer it's calm, but in the winter it can be surfing weather. It all just depends. View a surf report on mauinow.com when you're here and pay attention. If the swells are low, Honolua is beautiful.

One thing you learn about Maui is we have all types of beaches. Swimming, Snorkeling, Surfing, and Only Viewing. :-)
Old Jun 28, 19, 10:28 am

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
We typically stay in Kapalua for our stays. Since LiquidHonesty mentioned some very good points, I would add that a boat trip isn't a bad idea to for snorkeling. I scuba dive mostly, so some of the locations that are good for diving aren't always good for snorkeling, such as 5 graves for example.

Paia has the Paia Fish Market which is good, plus I like the Pizza from Charley's.

Kapalua has the Honolua store that isn't bad for breakfast or lunch. Nothing fancy by any stretch, but we always go. We still make day trips to Hana, normal way there, and the backway on the return. Stop and see where Charles Lindbergh is buried as well. Hana also has some cool state parks worth visiting, and despite what some may say, a day trip from Kapalua isn't bad. We usually leave around 6 am.

If you want to visit Haleakala Crater for sunrise, I suggest doing so the day after you arrive, as your body will still be your current time zone. You will get up super early, and you will freeze at the top, so bring some coats and/or blankets.
Old Jul 4, 19, 12:00 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
I grew up on Maui, and both as a child and as an adult enjoyed going to Hana for vacations. It is such an ordeal to get to and from there that I suggest spending more than one night. Both Waianapanapa State Park and the Kipahulu section of Haleakala National Park are places to spend a whole day., and there's lots more to do there. And I would not spend any other nights on the north shore, which was my home area. You can get there quickly enough from the south shore and even the west side.
Old Jul 5, 19, 4:07 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Snorkel the Molokini Crater. It was the highlight of my last Maui trip.
Old Nov 2, 19, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Below is how we decided to break up out nights ...

1 Night - Makawao and Halekala sunrise
2 Nights - Napili Bay
2 Nights - Hana
5 Nights - Wailea Beach Resort Marriott

Does anyone have a strong recommendation for one of the helicopter tours over the others?
Old Nov 3, 19, 12:18 pm

Below is how we decided to break up out nights ...

1 Night - Makawao and Halekala sunrise
2 Nights - Napili Bay
2 Nights - Hana
5 Nights - Wailea Beach Resort Marriott

Does anyone have a strong recommendation for one of the helicopter tours over the others?
Sounds like a good plan! Are you going to hike Haleakala Crater after watching the sunrise?
Old Nov 3, 19, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Maglev View Post
Sounds like a good plan! Are you going to hike Haleakala Crater after watching the sunrise?
Yes absolutely! Planning on exploring there until we need lunch and will then make our way to Napili Bay.
Old Nov 5, 19, 10:22 am

Yes absolutely! Planning on exploring there until we need lunch and will then make our way to Napili Bay.
The best way to hike the crater (13 miles) is to leave your car at the Halemauu trailhead then hitchhike to the summit for sunrise. At that time of day, there are plenty of cars heading to the summit. Take food, water, raingear, and have a couple beers waiting in the car for when you finish.
Old Nov 6, 19, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
In the period of november-februaty is peak rain season in the Pacific NW.

because of this you get rough seas on the north side of the islands. the east facing sides of the islands can be rainy.

I was in Maui last year in this time day I went out for snorkeling departing near where the Marriott --there wee parts the water was rough. We did 4 spots 3 were good and calm waters, one was rough. the waves were high enough it was flooding my snorkel from above when a wave would come over.

another day I was there, over water winds were 50+ mph with on winds 20-30. on land. I didnt even try to go out on the water this day. If it was a calm day I would have done a whale watching trip from Lahaina

Search this Thread
Search Engine: