FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   Ag inspection for SWA interisland flights? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/1973189-ag-inspection-swa-interisland-flights.html)

jkatzen Jun 8, 2019 6:19 pm

Ag inspection for SWA interisland flights?

How does Ag inspection work for carryon bags for SWA’s interisland flights?

In the Interisland Terminal (1), the TSA scanners allow fruit and seeds to be carried on, but this is prohibited at the security checkpoints in the Overseas Terminal (2). So, if you walk from T1 to T2, you have to go through a secondary security inspection to check for fruit/seeds.

Are there special TSA procedures for SWA interisland flights in T2, or can you not bring an apple on their interisland flights?

Tanic Jun 9, 2019 2:53 pm

TSA has nothing to do with agricultural inspections, they are conducted by USDA. On my last WN flight from HNL to the mainland I entered T2 at the E gates and there was no agricultural check for carry ons.

jkatzen Jun 9, 2019 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 31186265)
TSA has nothing to do with agricultural inspections, they are conducted by USDA. On my last WN flight from HNL to the mainland I entered T2 at the E gates and there was no agricultural check for carry ons.

That’s actually not the case. The reason carryons don’t go through the big machines at the curbside entrance is because the TSA agents in the main terminal are also trained to search for seeds and fruit when they look at the X-ray screens.

Did you think carryons are just not scanned for the prohibited ag items?

LIH Prem Jun 12, 2019 9:09 pm

There's no separate Ag inspection at the main terminal for carry-ons?

There is Ag inspection when transferring from the inter-island terminal to the main terminal. If I'm flying East West towards Asia, I just tell them (though last time, they wanted to see my boarding pass) and I'm not subject to the Ag inspection.

Don't the SWA mainland flights leave from that same new gate area as their inter-island flights?

-David

jkatzen Jun 13, 2019 4:39 am

Originally Posted by LIH Prem (Post 31197375)
There's no separate Ag inspection at the main terminal for carry-ons?

Not unless something has been done specially for SWA... that's my question. :)

There is Ag inspection when transferring from the inter-island terminal to the main terminal. If I'm flying East, I just tell them (though last time, they wanted to see my boarding pass) and I'm not subject to the Ag inspection.

(I think you mean flying west you're not subject to it?)

Yes, there's an additional Ag inspection when transferring from T1 (interisland) to T2 (overseas/main), because TSA agents in T1 don't specially look for seeds and fruit. They're just like TSA checkpoints on the mainland. On the other hand, in T2, the TSA agents are also looking for seeds and fruit in addition to their standard duties.

Don't the SWA mainland flights leave from that same new gate area as their inter-island flights?

I think so. That's why I have this question.

Tanic Jun 13, 2019 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by jkatzen (Post 31186791)
That’s actually not the case. The reason carryons don’t go through the big machines at the curbside entrance is because the TSA agents in the main terminal are also trained to search for seeds and fruit when they look at the X-ray screens.Did you think carryons are just not scanned for the prohibited ag items?

I should be more specific: USDA inspectors beyond the T2 checkpoints use their own slave monitors from X-ray machines to look for fruits, vegetables etc. When TSA clerks examine food they are looking for explosives, not agricultural products.

In the case of WN interisland flights, you can check fruits and vegetables that will be destination tagged to OGG, KOA, LIH or ITO, but cannot carry them to the airplane.

jkatzen Jun 18, 2019 2:48 am

Originally Posted by Tanic (Post 31200788)
In the case of WN interisland flights, you can check fruits and vegetables that will be destination tagged to OGG, KOA, LIH or ITO, but cannot carry them to the airplane.

Then this is the direct answer to my question... why not say so originally if you knew it? Lol.

jkatzen Jul 8, 2019 5:45 pm

I can also now confirm that ex-OGG, the interisland OGG-HNL SWA flight was treated as if it were flying to the Mainland. To get to the gate lobby, I had to finish the apple in my bag.

JDiver Jul 10, 2019 9:16 am

There are items that are prohibited from inter island travel as well, such as ʻŌhiʻa (Metrosideros polymorpha) wood or any parts of ‘ōhi’a lehua trees due to the Ceratocystis fungal disease.