Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Newbie needs DFW to Maui help

Old Jun 6, 19, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Iíve spent 45 min searching the forums and am as clueless as I was before I started so Iím just gonna dive in with my questionó which will have very few abbreviations used bc Iím clueless on that, too. This forum is intimidating for us novice travelers.

Hereís my question: Premium Economy vs 1st on AA to Mauióis it still decent if you canít get the 2 seat side? Itís significantly cheaper than first class but I donít wanna be super disappointed, either, and the only seats left are the 4-row ones. Dates are 9/7 for 7 nights and I can do PE nonstop or first with a stop in LA/SFO with UA/AA. First nonstop isnít an option due to price. I honestly donít care about the layover (an hour), I just wanna know the general consensus about Premium Econ. Is it a worthwhile money-saver (about $1400 cheaper than first but with a stop) or am I better off sucking it up and adding $1400 to the already pricey trip and do first class with the layover?

Help, please.
Old Jun 6, 19, 4:42 pm

Iíd take PE on the nonstop widebody over domestic F with a stop in LAX even at the same price. No way Iíd pay $1400 more for the Ďprivilegeí of domestic first to OGG via LAX.
Old Jun 6, 19, 4:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Value is subjective. Only you can judge it. Others have their views, but you really need to look at the two products and determine what is important to you. I would book F on the nonstop in a heartbeat. But, that is me.

I would definitely not book a one-hour connection at LAX. If you misconnect, AA will rebook you, of course, but there may be a messy reroute in lousy seats. Given the frequency of DFW-LAX service, I would take an earlier flight.
Old Jun 6, 19, 6:11 pm
Original Poster

ďF on the nonstopĒ. I assume that means first class? I canít justify the additional 3k on that.

ďPE on the wide bodyĒ means prem Econ in the 4-seat row, right? Would that choice still stand if itís row 15 (which looks to be the last row of PE)?
Old Jun 7, 19, 7:44 am

IMHO PE on the 772 is not that different from F on the 321 or 757, so Iíd choose that even in the last row of the 4 seat section. The F experience through LAX just isnít worth the extra $$ or time to me compared to the nonstop PE on a 772.
Hawkeye93 likes this.

Search this Thread