Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Best Time of Year to Visit Oahu?

Old May 30, 19, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NONE

Toying with a trip in January, but worried about rain and/or "cold" weather. For reference, I went last October and LOVED IT. The weather and temperature was perfect. I could take this trip in Feb or March but timing wise would likely prefer January or early Feb. Prices are about the same, so it seems...what do you guys recommend? any thoughts on Oahu in January (early Jan?)
Old May 30, 19, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by hotchocolate View Post
Toying with a trip in January, but worried about rain and/or "cold" weather. For reference, I went last October and LOVED IT. The weather and temperature was perfect. I could take this trip in Feb or March but timing wise would likely prefer January or early Feb. Prices are about the same, so it seems...what do you guys recommend? any thoughts on Oahu in January (early Jan?)
Lived on the North Shore of Oahu for 2 years. Frequently traveled around the island though. For me, January & February were easily the "coldest" months of the year. Meaning, at night time you might need a jacket or a windbreaker. But with the temperature consistently being around 70-78 I was always comfortable & actually enjoyed the mild temperature more. The water stays the same temp year round, you will still be able to enjoy it fully imo. For rainfall, early January doesn't have too much typically. You get more in later Jan-March.
Old May 31, 19, 10:34 am

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Originally Posted by hotchocolate View Post
This is a "pick your poison" situation: January will be colder and statistically, have more rain. But, March has a history of having more severe rain events. (I've been here for five decades, and have seen it rain every day in March.

Here is the data: https://www.prh.noaa.gov/hnl/climate/PHNL_rainfall.php
Old Jun 5, 19, 9:47 pm

We have visited Oahu (Waikiki) Jan 3 to Feb 22 for 25 years. I can only recall one time with a 3 day wash out. Other than that a one day rain event and usually sporadic rainfall. Even then it beats snow and ice. At night it occasionally gets down to between 68 and 70 and the locals put on sweaters, coats, ski-masks, etc. Tee shirts are still fine for us mainlanders.
Old Aug 1, 19, 4:15 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Plat Pro, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I lived in Oahu for a bit, and I think May is the best time of year to visit. Everything is greened upped from the wet season but the rain slows down and it warms up a little bit and the days are just a tad longer by then, it is between the 'winter season' (snow flee-ers) and summer season (kids) tourists so travel deals are better.

Of course, you'll miss the whales (if that is your thing), and spring is usually a pleasant season everywhere.
747FC likes this.

Search this Thread