Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Things to see on the big island

Old Apr 30, 19, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan

We are thinking of spending a week on the big island, but is there enough to do on the big island? Of course there are many options online, so I am looking for insight for things that people have done and if it was worth the price tag.

We know a couple of people who spend their time in Honolulu but one thing they warned us about was to not do any of the 'island one day tours' as it was a waste of time and they brought you to places that were for tourist scams.

Last edited by RhaspberryWind; Apr 30, 19 at 11:00 am
Old May 3, 19, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
My family and I spent five days on the big island and felt it was about right. We visited Mauna Kea one day, drove around the island another day, did horseback riding one day, and had a chillax day.

How long to spend is, of course, dependent on personal preferences. I have friends who could easily spent two weeks someplace like the big island, hiking and scuba diving and exploring every nook and cranny. I've got others who would be bored starting on day two.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old May 4, 19, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

We have been to the big island sevetal times ( for a week each time after spending a few days in HNL after a long flight from the uk) and there is plenty to do ( we stayed at the Hilton Waikoloa village which was beautiful and lots to do including just admiring the artwork and hotel) as DJ_Iceman said there is enough for at least 2 weeks

We have done the circle island bus/minibus tour which was great ( going via the Volcano National park)- depending on the tour we had a brief stop at a coffee selling store and nut factory/shop but there was no pressure to buy and we were able to buy ice cream/cold drinks., helicopter tours, tours up the Mauna Kea observatory, whale watching tours, helicopter tours etc, volcano tours

If you just spend your time in Honolulu you will probably not experience the real Hawaii so if not the big island , consider another island especially if you are there for more than a week.

Regards

TBS
pbiflyer likes this.
Old May 4, 19, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
The Big Island was perfect for me and my BF for five days last Memorial Day week. And that was in the midst of the volcano eruption. Really awesome.

We based out of the Marriott Waikoloa and hit beaches for three of those days; one day traveling to Mauna Kea and Hilo; one afternoon up to the north to do the hike down to the sea at Pololu Valley; one afternoon touring the south, including some incredible "lash" photos as the lava went into the ocean, followed by a bit of exploration at the Black Sand Beach. And the Kona Brewing Co. somewhere in there.

That was with the national park closed; it'll be open for you. It's a big island, hence the name.
Old May 5, 19, 11:29 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
I've been to the big Island 4 times already, each a 4-7 day stay, and I still haven't seen everything I wanted to see, and some things I've done multiple times! I'd say it's my favourite island in Hawaii. There's plenty to do on the Big Island, and keep in mind that the road trip across takes longer than you think! Factor in at least a day or two to chill at the beach or pool. I've stayed at the Hilton Waikaloa once, seemed a bit too big, but the last three times I stayed at the Fairmont Orchid, a wonderful hotel, just the right size!
A great resource: https://www.365kona.com/

Here's a few things to do:
Visit a coffee plantation, there are many!! Bring back lots of amazing coffee beans!
Go shopping in Kailua Kona
Go snorkeling, either at your hotel, or with one of many tour boats
Enjoy some of the most incredible sunsets on the planet
https://www.nps.gov/havo/index.htm
Visitor Information Station - Maunakea Visitor Information Station
Division of State Parks | H?puna Beach State Recreation Area
https://www.gohawaii.com/islands/haw...valley-lookout
https://www.lovebigisland.com/waipio-valley/
pbiflyer likes this.
Old May 5, 19, 4:41 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
A week isn't long enough. I've been there multiple times for two weeks each and going back again in the fall. Buy
Hawaii: The Big Island Revealed Hawaii: The Big Island Revealed
and prioritize what you want to do most. Like others have said, leave time to relax and chill.
pbiflyer likes this.

Search this Thread