Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Any deals on flying within the islands of Hawaii

Any deals on flying within the islands of Hawaii

Old Apr 17, 19, 8:05 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 20
Any deals on flying within the islands of Hawaii

Any deals on flying within the islands of Hawaii? I was told by a number of people that the flights across the islands are like $100 per person which is reasonable. However, when I checked, they were close to $300 per person.

Does anyone know where I can find a great deal and when is a great time to book the flight? We checked Sunday night, but the prices whether it is tomorrow and 5 months out, it is the same price.
RhaspberryWind is offline  
Old Apr 17, 19, 1:51 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Posts: 20,907
Originally Posted by RhaspberryWind View Post
Any deals on flying within the islands of Hawaii? I was told by a number of people that the flights across the islands are like $100 per person which is reasonable. However, when I checked, they were close to $300 per person.

Does anyone know where I can find a great deal and when is a great time to book the flight? We checked Sunday night, but the prices whether it is tomorrow and 5 months out, it is the same price.
Southwest? $59 one way.
DenverBrian is offline  
Old Apr 17, 19, 2:07 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 36
Also depending on the deal and destination Mokulele can be in that price range.
RhaspberryWind likes this.
muran is offline  
Old Apr 19, 19, 8:22 pm
  #4  
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Posts: 15,589
Originally Posted by RhaspberryWind View Post
Any deals on flying within the islands of Hawaii? I was told by a number of people that the flights across the islands are like $100 per person which is reasonable. However, when I checked, they were close to $300 per person.

Does anyone know where I can find a great deal and when is a great time to book the flight? We checked Sunday night, but the prices whether it is tomorrow and 5 months out, it is the same price.
I think this inquiry requires more information to provide a thoughtful response. Where are you flying? Do you have orphan United, American or Delta miles for one-way inter island trips?
slippahs is offline  
Old Apr 19, 19, 8:23 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: LAX-SNA
Programs: BA Gold, AF/KL Gold, UA 1K, AA 2mm LT PLT/f
Posts: 19,217
Which route and what dates are your searching? In general, inter-island flights are pretty inexpensive.
SFO777 is offline  
Old Apr 23, 19, 9:44 am
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 20
From OGG to Hana and back, dates I am pretty flexible in June.

Originally Posted by SFO777 View Post
Which route and what dates are your searching? In general, inter-island flights are pretty inexpensive.
RhaspberryWind is offline  
Old Apr 23, 19, 11:40 am
  #7  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: HNL
Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Posts: 5,285
Originally Posted by RhaspberryWind View Post
From OGG to Hana and back, dates I am pretty flexible in June.
I picked a random date in June and found a roundtrip at $143 for the 20 minute flight.

You do know that you can drive that route in two hours?
747FC is online now  
Old Apr 23, 19, 12:20 pm
  #8  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 20
Sorry, the names always confuse me. We want to go from OGG to Kona (the big island).

Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
I picked a random date in June and found a roundtrip at $143 for the 20 minute flight.

You do know that you can drive that route in two hours?
RhaspberryWind is offline  
Old Apr 23, 19, 12:59 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: HNL
Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
Posts: 5,285
Originally Posted by RhaspberryWind View Post
Sorry, the names always confuse me. We want to go from OGG to Kona (the big island).
I'd advise you not to try to drive there.

I don't see problematic fares. I am seeing costs between $158 and $176 roundtrip.
747FC is online now  
Old Apr 24, 19, 9:35 am
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 20
Haha, are those the usual prices? know of any sales coming up? I just want to see what else is out there before I book.

Originally Posted by 747FC View Post
I'd advise you not to try to drive there.

I don't see problematic fares. I am seeing costs between $158 and $176 roundtrip.
RhaspberryWind is offline  
Old Apr 25, 19, 12:26 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Posts: 20,907
Originally Posted by RhaspberryWind View Post
Haha, are those the usual prices? know of any sales coming up? I just want to see what else is out there before I book.
Southwest is showing $106 round trip per person on many days.


DenverBrian is offline  
Old Apr 25, 19, 12:33 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Southwest is showing $106 round trip per person on many days.


That's amazing! We are going to jump on that!
RhaspberryWind is offline  
Old Apr 26, 19, 8:56 am
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Programs: Aeroplan
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by DenverBrian View Post
Southwest is showing $106 round trip per person on many days.


So I looked into it and these '$63' flights are horrible, they are 5 hours (only takes 1 hour to get from OGG to Kona) as well as they land for 2 hours in HNL. They are not exactly the options I am looking for.
JDiver likes this.
RhaspberryWind is offline  
Old May 1, 19, 12:12 pm
  #14  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Denver, CO, USA
Programs: Proud Charter Member of the OUM
Posts: 20,907
Originally Posted by RhaspberryWind View Post
So I looked into it and these '$63' flights are horrible, they are 5 hours (only takes 1 hour to get from OGG to Kona) as well as they land for 2 hours in HNL. They are not exactly the options I am looking for.
Over on the WN board they're reporting some price drops on interisland flights, so keep looking if you haven't purchased yet. Since WN has no change fees, you can always book, keep looking, and if a WN flight comes in cheaper, you can cancel and re-book at no charge.
RhaspberryWind likes this.
DenverBrian is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread