FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   Any issues bringing back food from Hawaii? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/1957847-any-issues-bringing-back-food-hawaii.html)

Rommie2k6 Feb 24, 2019 2:07 am

Any issues bringing back food from Hawaii?

Are there are TSA or customs issues in bringing food back from Hawaii?

I know that food is problematic for international travel, and my last trip seemed to indicate Hawaii is slightly different than most domestic travel. I intend to fill up a rollerbag with food I'm getting from Hawaii on my way back home. Any issues with TSA or other sticklers I should be aware of? All food will be solid.

LocalJapGuy Feb 24, 2019 3:37 am

It all depends on the type of food you are wanting to take back to the US. Alaska has different requirements if that is where you’re traveling to. You can bring coconuts, fresh flowers as long as the flowers aren’t from a citrus plant, fresh pineapple, fruits that have been treated and have been packed and sealed in boxes stamped with the USDA seal, and plants and cuttings as long as they don’t need to be certified based on the state requirements that you are traveling to.

You are not allowed to travel out of Hawaii with any fresh fruits and vegetables unless included in the previous fruits I have stated above, sugarcane and sweet potatoes.

You will be required to present all food and plants to the ag inspector at the airport before you leave Hawaii. As long as your items are not on their disallowed list, the inspector will check them to make sure they are free from pests and disease before allowing your bag through.

I am am not on expert on all the different exceptions so you can contact the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service in Honolulu to ask about specific things you would like to take with you. Their number is (808) 834-3220.

Often1 Feb 24, 2019 5:44 am

TSA has nothing to do with food inspections. Best to follow the specific instructions provided by USDA for departures from Hawaii to the Mainland US:

https://www.aphis.usda.gov/aphis/res...aiian_products

747FC Feb 24, 2019 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6 (Post 30815069)

Bring back to where? No ag inspection to foreign destinations, which have their own rules.

slippahs Feb 24, 2019 10:07 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 30817733)

Bring back to where? No ag inspection to foreign destinations, which have their own rules.

Although the ag inspectors will still be watching the monitors (for the most part) as you pass through TSA, so even if you’re transiting to Asia or other international destinations, you may still be stopped.

747FC Feb 24, 2019 11:15 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs (Post 30818067)

Although the ag inspectors will still be watching the monitors (for the most part) as you pass through TSA, so even if you’re transiting to Asia or other international destinations, you may still be stopped.

True, but one does not have to put their checked baggage through the screening.

philemer Feb 24, 2019 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 30818169)

I've always had to put checked bags on the AG screener before I ever get to the checkin counter. Maybe I'm not listening properly. :)

Finkface Feb 24, 2019 11:29 pm

6 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 30818169)

You must put your checked bags through agriculture screening. You don’t have a choice. It is a belt/xray set up just as you enter the check in lobby for your airline (see photo below). The ag screener puts a sticker on your checked bags once they have gone through. The airline will not accept your bag without the sticker. It is airline specific as well, as in, you have to go through the ag screening that is located nearest to your airline’s check in counter. You can’t go to just any one. Carry on bags do not go through this separate ag screening because they are checked as you go through security.

Daniel K. Inouye International Airport | Agriculture Inspection

The sticker looks like this:

747FC Feb 24, 2019 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by philemer (Post 30818180)
I've always had to put checked bags on the AG screener before I ever get to the checkin counter. Maybe I'm not listening properly. :)

Only if you are going to the Mainland.

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 30818193)
You must put your checked bags through agriculture screening. You don’t have a choice. It is a belt/xray set up just as you enter the check in lobby for your airline (see photo below). The ag screener puts a sticker on your checked bags once they have gone through. The airline will not accept your bag without the sticker. It is airline specific as well, as in, you have to go through the ag screening that is located nearest to your airline’s check in counter. You can’t go to just any one. Carry on bags do not go through this separate ag screening because they are checked as you go through security.

Daniel K. Inouye International Airport Agriculture Inspection

The sticker looks like this:

You might want to read that link again. It is applicable only to the US Mainland.

"All baggage bound from Hawaii to the U. S. Mainland is subject to pre-flight inspection by the U. S. Department of Agriculture."

I never put my checked baggage through when I am flying directly to Japan, New Zealand, or Australia. Of course, each have their own rules to which one must attend.

Finkface Feb 25, 2019 12:05 am

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 30818227)
Only if you are going to the Mainland.

You might want to read that link again. It is applicable only to the US Mainland.

"All baggage bound from Hawaii to the U. S. Mainland is subject to pre-flight inspection by the U. S. Department of Agriculture."

I am aware of that and assumed that’s what the OP was asking about. S/he talked about it being different from ‘most domestic travel’ so I assumed that was what s/he meant.

Originally Posted by Rommie2k6 (Post 30815069)

I know that food is problematic for international travel, and my last trip seemed to indicate Hawaii is slightly different than most domestic travel. I intend to fill up a rollerbag with food I'm getting from Hawaii on my way back home. Any issues with TSA or other sticklers I should be aware of? All food will be solid.

747FC Feb 25, 2019 12:07 am

Originally Posted by Finkface (Post 30818249)
I assumed that’s what the OP was asking about. S/he talked about it being different from ‘most domestic travel’ so I assumed that was what s/he meant.

Which is exactly why I made my first post in this thread: To hopefully get the OP to clarify. Rather than Assume.

Finkface Feb 25, 2019 12:13 am

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 30818255)
Which is exactly why I made my first post in this thread: To hopefully get the OP to clarify. Rather than Assume.

Well to be fair, my assumption was based on pretty solid clues. OP has GE, is into MS and churning and seems to have DL status. All points to being in the US.

Rommie2k6 Feb 26, 2019 10:11 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC (Post 30818255)

My bad, home here is mainland US, so the trip is from HNL to SEA for example. I'm bringing back cooked food, will be frozen from the night before.