Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

late evening car rental pick-up @LIH

late evening car rental pick-up @LIH

Old Feb 10, 19, 11:41 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,255
late evening car rental pick-up @LIH

I have booked United's afternoon flight from SFO-LIH for our December holiday. It's scheduled to arrive at 8:45 pm, but according to Flightstats about 10% of the time, it can arrive up to two hours late.

All the car rental companies at LIH close between 10:30 pm and 10:45 pm, so I was wondering what happens when the plane is delayed enough to arrive at or after closing time? Would the rental companies stay open for that late arrival from the mainland, or are the pax just left to sleep in the airport until 5:30 a.m., when the rental companies reopen?
transportprof is online now  
Old Feb 10, 19, 4:16 pm
  #2  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 3,548
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
I have booked United's afternoon flight from SFO-LIH for our December holiday. It's scheduled to arrive at 8:45 pm, but according to Flightstats about 10% of the time, it can arrive up to two hours late.

All the car rental companies at LIH close between 10:30 pm and 10:45 pm, so I was wondering what happens when the plane is delayed enough to arrive at or after closing time? Would the rental companies stay open for that late arrival from the mainland, or are the pax just left to sleep in the airport until 5:30 a.m., when the rental companies reopen?
Have you tried calling the LIH rental companies to find out what they do when the flight(s) land late?

David
DELee is offline  
Old Feb 10, 19, 7:01 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
Posts: 6,255
Originally Posted by DELee View Post
Have you tried calling the LIH rental companies to find out what they do when the flight(s) land late?

David
I haven't called yet. I'd plan on calling if I don't find out more info from Flyertalk sages.
transportprof is online now  
Old Feb 10, 19, 8:36 pm
  #4  
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 3,548
Originally Posted by transportprof View Post
I haven't called yet. I'd plan on calling if I don't find out more info from Flyertalk sages.
Hokay. Well, my only recent data point from last May 2018, we arrived on time on the LAX-LIH flight so got it around 8 pm or so and Avis were ready for us but it was clear that they were getting their office ready to close.

Given that you're flying into LIH in December, at that hour it will be fairly dark already. If the flight is late, probably want to plan for a cab/Uber just in case. Depending on how far away you have to get to your lodging, such a ride may be a bit pricey.

Also, looking at the arrivals page for LIH today (02/10/19), there's a DL from LAX arriving 9:50 PM, AS from SEA at 10:05 PM, HA from HNL at 10:34 PM and WS from YVR at 10:35 PM (and which is already late). So I'd guess that they're unfortunately used to these late flights anyway. And it will be high season so they'll be looking to make coin given the influx of tourists.

David

Last edited by DELee; Feb 10, 19 at 8:44 pm
DELee is offline  
Old Feb 10, 19, 9:34 pm
  #5  
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: ANC, MRI
Programs: AS MVP Gold75K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott LTG, SPG Gold, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Posts: 41,222
Had some fun yesterday into LIH (sitting at the Courtyard at my oceanfront Lanai just north of LIH- saw AS116 take off) Called Hertz before due to irrops and letting them know I'd be late. They asked if my flight # was in the res and they'd wait for the flight if it was after they were supposed to close. Hope this helps- but think if your airline and flight # are in the res, they'll take care of you.

Be ready for a bumpy approach and irregular power on island. Breezy day to say the least!
beckoa is offline  
Old Feb 10, 19, 11:34 pm
  #6  
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Anywhere a good IPA is served!!
Programs: Too many to list
Posts: 10,129
Car rental agencies know when flts are delayed and will stay open for you (for a reasonable amount of time). Taxi or Uber if necessary and pick up car the next morning.
philemer is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread