Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traveling to Hawaii this Summer - Need Flight Help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2019, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Traveling to Hawaii this Summer - Need Flight Help

My family has a vacation booked to Maui late this July and I am looking for flight options. Currently I am looking at Alaska Airlines but it looks like I would have to wait 6 weeks (have to apply for credit card and wait for Companion Fare code). Any other options?
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by illinoisguy
My family has a vacation booked to Maui late this July and I am looking for flight options. Currently I am looking at Alaska Airlines but it looks like I would have to wait 6 weeks (have to apply for credit card and wait for Companion Fare code). Any other options?
Do you have miles in any frequent-flyer programs? Or credit-card points that can be converted to miles?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I am a member of the United MileagePlus program (standard member) but only have 850 points (hardly ever fly). Our primary credit card is Discover (typically use cash back for Amazon purchases). We also have a Chase Freedom Visa and a Citi Diamond Preferred Mastercard, both which we use sparingly. We have Verizon as our cell service and I know we have points but it doesn't look like they can be applied.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
Use AS in 6 weeks or just pay cash for tickets.
jinglish likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 6:24 pm

I fly between Kentucky and Maui 2-3 times a year since we live in Hawaii but our families are still in KY. So, we'd be using similar airports. Some things to note

June/July flights almost never get "cheaper" other than a few dollars. Those dates are usually omitted from all the "sales" they have. Case in point, I can find RT flights right now for around $600 in April, May, August, September...but June/July are $800+.

Alaska is a great airline, but being in Illinois, United will probably end up with cheaper airfare due to their Chicago hub.

Southwest is VERY close to announcing flights to Hawaii. I saw get your CC ready and BOOK as soon as they're offered, as they'll have a fare sale I'm sure. Seriously, this is your best bet!

If you want more details about specifics, routes, etc let me know. As I said, I fly the route often and have flown it via AA, United, Delta, Alaska, and Hawaiian in both Economy and First Class.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by LiquidHonesty
Southwest is VERY close to announcing flights to Hawaii. I saw get your CC ready and BOOK as soon as they're offered, as they'll have a fare sale I'm sure. Seriously, this is your best bet!
Announced today, though it appears that if you weren't booking within the first hour or so, the WGA fares were gone.

So far, only for OAK and SJC to Hawaii; if they announce another city like SFO or LAX or SAN, you'll again have the option to book if you catch it in the first hour or so.

You might want to follow this thread: Hawaii ticket sales start: $49 OAK, $29 interisland

Last edited by DenverBrian; Mar 4, 2019 at 7:48 pm
Old Mar 4, 2019, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by DenverBrian
Announced today, though it appears that if you weren't booking within the first hour or so, the WGA fares were gone.

So far, only for OAK and SJC to Hawaii; if they announce another city like SFO or LAX or SAN, you'll again have the option to book if you catch it in the first hour or so.

You might want to follow this thread: Hawaii ticket sales start: $49 OAK, $29 interisland
What he said.....plus the inter-island fares are awesome.....got RT flights to Oahu for 2 for $104 total in May. Those of us in Hawaii have been waiting for inter-island to be affordable!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.