Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Questions about renting and driving a car in Hawaii

Old Nov 24, 18, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold

My driver license expired and I renewed it, but I haven't received the card with my photo on it. I only have a temporary one at the moment. Will this permit me to rent and drive a car in Hawaii? I'm planning to visit Oahu and Kauai. Any tips and recommendations on where to rent a car? What should I know about driving in Hawaii in general? I'll be arriving in Honolulu late in the evening so ideally I want to pick up the first car at HNL.

Thanks!
Old Nov 24, 18, 7:34 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare View Post
What should I know about driving in Hawaii in general?
In Hawaii, the horn is only used for emergency situations and not used otherwise.

-David
Old Nov 25, 18, 12:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post
In Hawaii, the horn is only used for emergency situations and not used otherwise.

-David
lol.
Old Nov 25, 18, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Check with the car rental company as to what it will accept and require and then call the local agency to assure that they have this in their notes.
Old Nov 25, 18, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

I'll be leaving for Hawaii soon and I still haven't booked my rental car in Kauai and Oahu. If I can't drive, then someone else can. Any tips on where to start and get the lowest rental pricing in those two islands?

Thanks!
Old Nov 25, 18, 5:02 pm

lol.
laugh now, but it really is a big difference from California and mainland driving where the horn is just another weapon in the arsenal.

It takes some getting used to for most people who instinctively reach for the horn when somebody else does something they don't like, but won't really help the situation since it's after the fact.

-David
Old Nov 26, 18, 4:53 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I'll be leaving for Hawaii soon and I still haven't booked my rental car in Kauai and Oahu. If I can't drive, then someone else can. Any tips on where to start and get the lowest rental pricing in those two islands?
www.autoslash.com. Be advised that many rental companies can charge an "Extra Driver Fee" to allow a third party to drive a car rented to you.
Old Nov 26, 18, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

No other comments? I'm thinking of just using Uber or Lyft to get me to my hotel after arriving in HNL and then maybe pick up a car on another day because I'll be arriving at about 10:30 PM local time. I think I have to pay for a whole day even if I'll have the car for 1.5 hours before the start of a new day? Still looking for comments on where to book and how to get the lowest rates.

Thx.

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
www.autoslash.com. Be advised that many rental companies can charge an "Extra Driver Fee" to allow a third party to drive a car rented to you.
Thanks. I'm starting to think that maybe I shouldn't book online since it's doubtful my driver's license will arrive in the mail before I fly off. I think I'll need to ask if my passport and my temporary driver's license is suffice to rent a car. If not, then I guess someone else will drive the car. Do you think I'll get a good rate if I just walk up to any front desk at HNL to get a car? Or maybe even wait until the following day since I arrive so late in the day? Any idea how much Uber or Lyft would cost to go from HNL to Waikiki area?

Thx.

I forgot to mention that I have an AMEX Platinum card. Will that help me get a better deal?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Nov 26, 18 at 6:50 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Nov 27, 18, 9:13 am

You should contact the rental company's office to see if they will accept your temporary drivers license.

A "day" for a rental car is a 24 hour period from when you pick up the car, not a calendar day. So if you pick up a car at 10:30pm, you will be charged for a single day as long as you return it by 10:30pm the next day.

Uber and Lyft both have fare estimators on their web sites.

I usually find the best rental car rates via Costco at www.costcotravel.com; you do have to be a Costco member.
Old Nov 27, 18, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
I forgot to mention that I have an AMEX Platinum card. Will that help me get a better deal?
Maybe not necessarily a better deal, but I think you can get status with the bigger companies like Avis, National, Hertz, just for having the card.
Old Nov 27, 18, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by mangoMan View Post
Maybe not necessarily a better deal, but I think you can get status with the bigger companies like Avis, National, Hertz, just for having the card.
https://global.americanexpress.com/c...tal-privileges

Avis and Hertz give you membership in their program and free upgrades. Avis also has a Platinum discount code. National is the only one that actually gives elite status for US cardholders (I think some non-US Platinum cards give Hertz elite status too).
Old Nov 27, 18, 5:15 pm

Do you have your expired licence ? That and the paperwork that you applied for a new one should be enough ,.
but better to call / email first
Old Aug 15, 19, 3:02 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Too many to list
Maui rentals

If you're searching for a rental on Maui use "Kahului" as the destination and not "OGG". There is an Enterprise location at 40 Hana Hwy, a short cab ride from OGG. I've found rates there can be 20%>40% cheaper.
lsquare likes this.

Last edited by philemer; Sep 1, 19 at 4:35 pm
Old Sep 5, 19, 4:03 pm

Programs: spg/gold, Hawaiianmiles
On my last trip to the islands (The Big Island this time around) I happened to utilize the following web site:
https://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

What I liked about it was you didn't have to put any deposit or even enter a credit card number, just the pickup and drop off dates and locations. I started out reserving both a sedan and a jeep well in advance of the travel dates. Then I checked back every week or so to see if a better deal became available. When something better shows up take it and cancel the unwanted one. Worked like a charm, prices did drop from my original search until about 2 weeks before travel. The web site is pretty detailed and I didn't encounter any surprises at all.
lsquare likes this.

Search this Thread