Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Airfare to HNL booked, but now thinking of making changes. Where to go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airfare to HNL booked, but now thinking of making changes. Where to go?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by SavvyTravel
That's very welcome advice, thanks so much. I like the First idea for sure, Mrs ST would be happy, I'm sure.
And the more I think about it, the simplicity of having our bags with us as we fly back from HNL to KOA and on again to LAX etc is good for peace of mind!
Sorry to add this note of caution: Be careful about filling the trunk of your car with valuables and then leaving the car in sites frequented by tourists. There are occasional predators that roam these areas. If you do leave stuff in your trunk, secure them in the trunk before you arrive at the destination. Aloha!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: BA Silver (temp demotion), *A Silver, HH Gold, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by 747FC
Sorry to add this note of caution: Be careful about filling the trunk of your car with valuables and then leaving the car in sites frequented by tourists. There are occasional predators that roam these areas. If you do leave stuff in your trunk, secure them in the trunk before you arrive at the destination. Aloha!
Thanks @747FC - well said (and noted from elsewhere too). Am sure that we won't allow the beauty of Hawai'i to blow away our normal precautions. Indeed that was partly why we were hoping that there would be some form of left luggage. Oh well.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Thx for the idea Phil! How's the weather on the big island at this time of the year? I'm just afraid of rain. I experienced a bit of rain on the rainier side of Maui 6 years ago in December. Unfortunately I got really busy and now I'm in crunch time to sort out the details. I'll probably end up paying a little more, but it is what it is. Should I book my car rental now?

I got Avios to burn. Can I use them to purchase inter-island travels?
I don't think there is a easy way to use them to purchase inter-island routes because the main carrier between the islands is Hawaiian. Maybe some creative routing through partners?

Hilo side will be wet. Kona side will be dry. It always is. I would book things soon because it is the busy season.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by muran
I don't think there is a easy way to use them to purchase inter-island routes because the main carrier between the islands is Hawaiian. Maybe some creative routing through partners?

Hilo side will be wet. Kona side will be dry. It always is. I would book things soon because it is the busy season.
I just checked airfare. It's about C$190 round trip. Is this usual typical pricing in late November and early December? Does Hawaiian allow free checked luggage? I guess I can book even last minute and get that fare?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
No free baggage unless you fly F.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by 747FC
No free baggage unless you fly F.
There are 3 people flying with me. What would you do if you're me?
Old Nov 24, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by lsquare
There are 3 people flying with me. What would you do if you're me?
Pack soft sided duffle bags in your regular suitcases/travel bags. Extract relevant items for few days and place into duffle bags. Check regular suitcases/travel bags at Oahu location. Go to HNL and take HA flights. Return back to HNL on HA flights and then pick up bags on Oahu. Return home/continue on journey.

David
lsquare likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 5:09 pm

There's plenty to do on Oahu with 10 days. Between hikes, beaches/water activities, scenic drives, easily can fill up 10 full days.

Going to one other island is gonna be cutting it tight with 2 islands in 10 days but if they insist.

My personal favorite is the Big Island since you have lots of variety (water falls and lush valleys, world's tallest mountain from sea bed to peak, lava (not flowing right now), great snorkeling, great off roading adventures, etc.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.