Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Hawaii is ridiculously unaffordable: who's travelling there?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii is ridiculously unaffordable: who's travelling there?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2018, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by heraclitus
I'm heading to Maui for the second time in January, and compared to my last trip (2015), it feels like prices have increased by a noticeable amount. Obviously I'm affected by the CAD's decline relative to the USD, but even without that it feels like sticker prices for accommodations have increased over the last few years......
Car rentals have increase a LOT too, especially during Jan>Mar. Hard to get anything under $300/wk.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:43 am

Programs: HH Silver
I am finding everywhere is expensive, not just Maui by any stretch. Prices have risen with the economy. My yearly trip to Mexico is 30% more than last year. My monthly trips to Vegas have steadily increased over the last 2 years. My every couple of month trips to Palm Springs are now not affordable for me, so I have cut them back. I have not found that airfare has changed much, but the price of hotels, rental cars, and restaurants definately have.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tatterdema
I am finding everywhere is expensive, not just Maui by any stretch. Prices have risen with the economy. My yearly trip to Mexico is 30% more than last year. My monthly trips to Vegas have steadily increased over the last 2 years. My every couple of month trips to Palm Springs are now not affordable for me, so I have cut them back. I have not found that airfare has changed much, but the price of hotels, rental cars, and restaurants definately have.
You need more credit card sign ups!
philemer likes this.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
You need more credit card sign ups!
Lol, I have plenty of cc sign ups. Unless you have some that cover resort fee's, I do not find them helpful. My airfare is already covered (with CC miles/points). It is the price of hotels and restaurants that is killing me, with car rentals not that far behind.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Lol, I have plenty of cc sign ups. Unless you have some that cover resort fee's, I do not find them helpful. My airfare is already covered (with CC miles/points). It is the price of hotels and restaurants that is killing me, with car rentals not that far behind.
Yeah, the resort fees suck (doesn't Hyatt waive them on award stays?), but it's much better than paying the whole room cost.

FWIW, this week I just realized that the US Bank Altitude Reserve Card lets you redeem points for travel you book yourself. There are some restrictions, but it definitely could be useful for offsetting some miscellaneous-yet-still-somewhat-pricey travel expenses, like a week's car rental. It certainly makes the sign-up bonus for that card more interesting.

https://thepointsguy.com/2018/03/us-...oked-anywhere/

As far as food goes, in Hawaii, I'm mostly a plate lunch kind of guy. I like local food almost as much as the fancy tourist restaurants, and it usually costs a fraction of the price. On Maui, though, I suspect plate lunch deals are getting harder to find. Like in Lahaina, I used to go to Aloha Mixed Plate. A few years ago, a main course there was under $10. Now I think they're over $15. That's some serious food inflation!
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:49 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I used to go to Aloha Mixed Plate. A few years ago, a main course there was under $10. Now I think they're over $15. That's some serious food inflation!
Bold above is partially a result of increase in minimum wage. I will stop there, less Omni/PR erupts.
muji likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 12:53 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, MileagePlus, Marriott Rewards
Good point. 10 years ago or so I remember getting Sheratons, Hyatts and the like for $80, $60, sometimes $40 a night on Priceline/Hotwire. Even the posted rates weren't that much higher. These days, a lot of those same hotels are $150-$300 a night. Rental cars too. I haven't noticed quite as dramatic an increase with restaurants, though.
tatterdema likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747FC
Bold above is partially a result of increase in minimum wage. I will stop there, less Omni/PR erupts.
I suspect I'll encounter sticker shock when I look at the menus of "regular" restaurants these days on Maui. But there's always some way to eat. I've felt poor in places like Iceland and Scandinavia and always do fine -- I just don't go to those destinations for fine dining. Obviously, over-priced restaurants make a destination less attractive, but "good dining options" is just one factor that enters into the mix of whether a destination is appealing.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 1:54 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
I suspect I'll encounter sticker shock when I look at the menus of "regular" restaurants these days on Maui. But there's always some way to eat. I've felt poor in places like Iceland and Scandinavia and always do fine -- I just don't go to those destinations for fine dining. Obviously, over-priced restaurants make a destination less attractive, but "good dining options" is just one factor that enters into the mix of whether a destination is appealing.
My wife and I have noticed that restaurants we frequent on Oahu have been cutting down on portion size, most likely as a way of mitigating increased prices. I think my waistline prefers this approach.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:37 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
I believe Hilton and Hyatt both waive resort fees on award stays.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I'll be interested to see what responses you get. I was doing some initial research for a family member in order to develop a budget for a trip. They would be traveling with two small children. I was shocked when I saw similar prices to you.
When I went to Maui last summer, I found condos to be much more affordable than hotels. I only stayed in hotels on points.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
When I went to Maui last summer, I found condos to be much more affordable than hotels. I only stayed in hotels on points.
Was the same on Kauai, but very few of them had air conditioning. No way I am traveling to Hawaii without air conditioning. Unless maybe I am staying in Volcano.... :-) Many many people told me I was crazy, that you do not need AC on Kauai in May. Well I used the AC in my hotel every single day.
eracerblue likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 8:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage, and BAEC in name only
We have been fairly regular visitors to Maui (from London!) over the last 10 years but would never consider $400+ for a hotel.

We are paying $350 pn for an ocean front 1 bed house at Puamana in December. It's the most we have ever paid but it is our favourite location and includes Christmas.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Was the same on Kauai, but very few of them had air conditioning. No way I am traveling to Hawaii without air conditioning. Unless maybe I am staying in Volcano.... :-) Many many people told me I was crazy, that you do not need AC on Kauai in May. Well I used the AC in my hotel every single day.
I don't blame you: AC is very helpful in the warmer months in Hawaii. Before the volcano took it out, I frequently rented houses in Kapoho in the springtime. No AC (apparently power costs are extremely high in Hawaii, so many houses don't have it). On our last visit, the bedtime temperatures in our house in April were in the high 70s. That's high, but bearable. Ironically, I was thinking of renting a house in Kapaho last June (the month when the property was actually destroyed!) but didn't do it because the price wasn't really lowered to reflect the lower comfort: I thought June bedtime temperatures might be in the low 80s, which is really too hot.

Unless the house is extremely well ventilated, or you can take "extreme" heat, I don't recommend summer rentals in Hawaii without AC.
Old Nov 8, 2018, 1:08 pm

Yeah, we went to Kauai too but stayed at a resort, which obviously had AC (June/July). Dewpoints are way too high in HI to sleep comfortably without AC, at least for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.