Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Best luxury hotel on Waikiki?

Old Sep 11, 18, 9:30 am
Original Poster

We're visiting Oahu and want to stay on Waikiki beach in a hotel within a short walk from the main beach area, shops, restaurants and attractions. I previously stayed at the Hyatt Regency and that location was perfect; however, the hotel was not.

We usually stay at Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton properties; I don't see anything of that kind of caliber on Waikiki. The Trump place looks like the most "luxury" option but I have looked at photos and it looks terribly corporate with a tiny pool and it looks like it is not even directly on the beach or main shopping area.

Any other recommendations? I've looked at Halekulani but WOW the rooms look ancient? Incredibly dated?

Thanks!
Old Sep 11, 18, 10:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA peon, BA Bronze, Marriott Gold, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by oceanscape View Post
We're visiting Oahu and want to stay on Waikiki beach in a hotel within a short walk from the main beach area, shops, restaurants and attractions. I previously stayed at the Hyatt Regency and that location was perfect; however, the hotel was not.

We usually stay at Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton properties; I don't see anything of that kind of caliber on Waikiki. The Trump place looks like the most "luxury" option but I have looked at photos and it looks terribly corporate with a tiny pool and it looks like it is not even directly on the beach or main shopping area.

Any other recommendations? I've looked at Halekulani but WOW the rooms look ancient? Incredibly dated?

Thanks!
There is a Ritz-Carlton. I haven’t stayed there so I can’t comment on it personally but it is new and looks very nice. The only other one I can think of, and I am not sure how it would compare but it has a great location, is the Prince Waikiki.

I know others will suggest Kahala or Aulani but they don’t fit your criteria of being in Waikiki.
Old Sep 11, 18, 4:27 pm

'Alohilani was just renovated and is clean. It is across the street from the beach and the prices are not outrageous for Waikiki.
Old Sep 11, 18, 9:51 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the FT Hawaii Forum
Thanks...
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels and Travel
Old Sep 11, 18, 10:30 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs
Royal Hawaiian is a Luxury Collection hotel and has some nice rooms. Great location and long history. It is a busy hotel and the older rooms can be small, but there is a newer tower with nice views. Moana Surfrider is nice and although neither of these really fabulous “luxury”, both good locations for Waikiki. Royal Hawai’i slightly more off the “main drag” of Waikiki. At least check out the sunset music and hula at the House Without a Key at the Halakulani.
Old Sep 12, 18, 1:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by muran View Post
'Alohilani was just renovated and is clean. It is across the street from the beach and the prices are not outrageous for Waikiki.
Awesome recommendation - thank you. Rooms - and hotel as a whole - looks very modern and classy and rates are very fair. Think we have found our place.
Old Sep 12, 18, 3:29 am

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United 30+ yrs
Good to know and new since I was there! I stayed ar its previous incarnation tears ago - this is light years from that and looks like a good choice. A small bit from the main center of Waikiki (a good thing) and a nice location.
Old Sep 12, 18, 7:25 am

Programs: AA, WN, DL, Hilton, Hyatt, SPG, Marriott, Priority Club
Halekulani
Old Sep 12, 18, 7:32 am

Best recommendation of that Hotel, i hope i can visit one day to see how great it is.
Old Sep 12, 18, 11:50 pm

Programs: Pt: UA; Au: AA, Marriott, Hilton; Ex-HA Pt (now not), GE
If you really like being in the middle of the Waikiki vibe, Trump is too far away. Id recommend the Royal Hawaiian, ocean front suite.

My my best recommendation for easy access to Waikiki, but a relaxed vibe, is the Kahala Hotel. A short Uber to Waikiki.

are either of these really luxury? Not the standard, but with enough money, you can get all the amenities you want.
Old Sep 13, 18, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by davesam12 View Post
Halekulani
Fully agree the Halekulani is THE Best luxury hotel on Waikiki.

https://www.halekulani.com/packages/...SAAEgI5t_D_BwE
Old Sep 14, 18, 12:15 pm

Trump or Halekulani.
Old Sep 14, 18, 9:47 pm

Angry

Originally Posted by Troopers;30203958

Trump or Halekulani.
While close, Trump is not on the beach
Old Sep 15, 18, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by KenfromDE View Post
While close, Trump is not on the beach
Ah, OP wanted to stay "within a short walk from the main beach area".
Old Sep 24, 18, 3:02 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Prince Waikiki has a great location, but last time I was there, the rooms had NO balconies.

Halekulani is great!

Search this Thread