Hurricane (Now Tropical Storm) Lane - August 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2018, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond

So, anyone else here on the islands with the impending storm? I'm here with my family in Lihue at the Kauai Marriott Resort, we're supposed to fly to Kona on Friday for the last part of our vacation on the Big Island! I'm hoping for the best, but preparing as best as I can for the worst. Aloha!
Old Aug 22, 2018, 3:58 pm

We are here in Oahu, and while things look relatively calm here, i'm worried. I want to get out of here (departure supposed to be tomorrow) but not sure if its gonna be possible. My hotel is right by the water too.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 4:00 pm

I'm working downtown Honolulu, staying in Waikiki. Work has me involved in the prep/readiness...hopefully not recovery.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:52 pm

Maui checking in here. Overcast and windy here, but nothing crazy. People still in the pool and ocean as of now.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 6:19 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Gold
Scheduled to arrive to Hawaii/Kona on Wednesday. Waiting to see how bad the storm is.... hopefully the damage isn't bad and the power stays on!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 12:15 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards Select, Maika'i Card
It has been almost fifty years since there has been serious flooding in the Kihei-Wailea area on Maui, and most of the development of that region has occurred in the interim. The southern west slope of Haleakala is a huge catchment area, and that drainage funnels into a concentrated stretch of shoreline. I would not want to be in Kihei or Wailea for this storm.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Currently light winds and rain in Kona but building. Looking to get out tomorrow night but that is looking doubtful. Could not get out last PM to SFO/LAX as flights were full. KOA is soon to close or at least that is the local word, anybody got an official update on KOA?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:45 pm

Scheduled to fly out to Maui on Saturday - staying at the Westin Maui. I figure if the airlines are flying it's still ok?
Old Aug 23, 2018, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by beagleflyer1977
Scheduled to fly out to Maui on Saturday - staying at the Westin Maui. I figure if the airlines are flying it's still ok?
Given the slow speed this thing is moving I would have to think Saturday (mid-day) would be tough. I am not optimistic about getting out on tomorrow's red-eye out of KOA. Just heard there were a few seats on the flight out this early PM out of KOA but won't have time to grab it as I have been securing things here at my home and office. Good Luck my friend!!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
I had planned to fly down on Friday but just changed my flight to Sunday. I have a friend staying at my place on Oahu and she is worried her flight back to the mainland tomorrow will be canceled so I told her just to relax and stay a few more days. Hopefully it will all be for naught but preparing for the worst just in case. Stay safe everyone!
Old Aug 23, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Aloha from Oahu... Ko Olina to be specific. Light winds, no rain yet. Overcast, but people are on the beach, swimming in the lagoon.

They already posted signs that the beach side bar will be closed on Friday
Old Aug 23, 2018, 4:10 pm
Original Member

For those trying to leave the island, be vigilant in checking for flights online even up to departure. Last night, seats would appear, disappear and re-appear again quickly. Started looking for any flight off the island to get to Pac NW. It was frustrating to grab seat and then at purchase screen get an error. I finally called UA on the phone to book and they found a seat. I checked again this morning just before flight time and a seat on same flight popped up that 1/2 cheaper than what I paid for it the night before. I was on the phone with UA to rebook it literally 10 minutes before boarding the flight. Safe travels everyone.
Old Aug 23, 2018, 10:45 pm

Kahului airport is on generator power. Our power stability is crappy here in Maui. I live upcountry and we're having rain and wind right now...max wind so far is 30mph (I have a weather station). I would think those coming in Saturday and beyond should be fine, just lots of rain when you arrive maybe, but will clear up soon.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
We are headed to KOA Saturday night. All word from the west side (Kohala area) so far is good. FS Hualalai was live on Facebook last night - looked overcast and calm -- and guest reports from Fairmont Orchid indicated a little rain. I've not seen cancellations on DL into or out of KOA so far.
Old Aug 24, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Anyone have links to webcam sites on Oahu?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.